October 22, 201015 yr I find the chasm between those who agree & disagree with the proposal fascinating...
October 22, 201015 yr Author I find the chasm between those who agree & disagree with the proposal fascinating... Those that think it is a good idea either A) root for the five or six programs that have no need for the July eval period OR B) are total idiots. Here's the thing. AAU ball isn't going anywhere, and if you take coaches out of the mix on the road you shift even more power to those the NCAA think they are targeting with this. If you think runners and hangers on have too much say now, see what happens when they are an even more powerful source of info with coaches stuck on campus during every spring and summer event. I've already seen that happening a ton in the spring once April eval was taken away. I also get a kick out of the notion that high school hoops is clean and it's only AAU that's dirty. Both have their equal share of good and bad guys at the top of the food chain...
October 22, 201015 yr GT, is there any way that AAU takes over high school hoops in the next decade by having year round events? It's obvious the best place to be seen is AAU events. Why not have huge AAU events year round?
October 23, 201015 yr Something needs to be done one way or the other. Maybe this is a great move, maybe its not. But right now every kid that can play at a young age in basketball-rich areas has people trying to latch onto them whether they can play or not. And a lot (not all) of the AAU coaches I have seen around are shady or a little crazy. I think they should have NCAA-sanctioned events like Nike camps or what have you and have a variety of these events. Get a ton of kids at these to get college exposure and have coaches that have to go threw training or have some sort of experience (not let random people coach these teams). At these events coaches can come in and evaluate. Just a thought.
October 23, 201015 yr It will make it much, much, much worse... I respectfully disagree GT. Actually could not disagree more. When is the last time a college coach has attended a high school game to recruit a player? I would venture to say a very long time. If a college coach has been to a high school game recently, it was probably fulfilling a favor of a prospect to garner attention. When college coaches have to "go through" handlers to speak to a prospect, things are out of control imo. Let's face it, there are tons of "leaches" looking for a payday and I believe this new rule will help curb this madness. It will not make it go away, but it will frustrate many "handlers" and change the landscape of CBB recruiting. Put yourself in their shoes. Would you want to deal with these self-serving idiots who are looking for a payday? These "handlers" look at these kids as nothing more than commodities. Sad.
October 23, 201015 yr Author I respectfully disagree GT. Actually could not disagree more. When is the last time a college coach has attended a high school game to recruit a player? I would venture to say a very long time. If a college coach has been to a high school game recently, it was probably fulfilling a favor of a prospect to garner attention. When college coaches have to "go through" handlers to speak to a prospect, things are out of control imo. Let's face it, there are tons of "leaches" looking for a payday and I believe this new rule will help curb this madness. It will not make it go away, but it will frustrate many "handlers" and change the landscape of CBB recruiting. Put yourself in their shoes. Would you want to deal with these self-serving idiots who are looking for a payday? These "handlers" look at these kids as nothing more than commodities. Sad. While your feelings are reasonable, you simply have no clue what you are talking about on this issue. Coaches are at high school games as much as they can possibly make it. Ask yourself this. What is the main hang up with college coaches making as many high school games as possible? That little nuisance of actually coaching their college team tends to get in the way with 2 games a week and all of the preparation that has to happen in between. I was in Dayton last year when Cal was there watching Brandon Knight if you need one of thousands of examples. That's just one of MANY reasons this would be a horrible idea if implemented. November through March tends to be a busy time for college coaches. Imagine that. Look, at the end of the day if this passes it would be big time for people in my line of work, as scouts would be the only eyes and ears on the road watching the games. Take the coaches out, and you are left with the fine line between those of us that respect the job and those that walk on the other side of the ethical line. I have seen first hand what that has done to April already, and the only reason that didn't get even more absurd was the coaches hitting the road in July to balance it out. I would benefit BIG TIME from this move and I'm vehemently against it. It gives those working in the gray areas all the power. Like I said, I know where you are coming from on the outside of this, but the worst thing the NCAA could do is cut out the coaches ability to spend ANY time on the road in the spring and summer...
October 23, 201015 yr While your feelings are reasonable, you simply have no clue what you are talking about on this issue. Coaches are at high school games as much as they can possibly make it. Ask yourself this. What is the main hang up with college coaches making as many high school games as possible? That little nuisance of actually coaching their college team tends to get in the way with 2 games a week and all of the preparation that has to happen in between. I was in Dayton last year when Cal was there watching Brandon Knight if you need one of thousands of examples. That's just one of MANY reasons this would be a horrible idea if implemented. November through March tends to be a busy time for college coaches. Imagine that. Look, at the end of the day if this passes it would be big time for people in my line of work, as scouts would be the only eyes and ears on the road watching the games. Take the coaches out, and you are left with the fine line between those of us that respect the job and those that walk on the other side of the ethical line. I have seen first hand what that has done to April already, and the only reason that didn't get even more absurd was the coaches hitting the road in July to balance it out. I would benefit BIG TIME from this move and I'm vehemently against it. It gives those working in the gray areas all the power. Like I said, I know where you are coming from on the outside of this, but the worst thing the NCAA could do is cut out the coaches ability to spend ANY time on the road in the spring and summer... :thumb::thumb:
October 23, 201015 yr I respectfully disagree GT. Actually could not disagree more. When is the last time a college coach has attended a high school game to recruit a player? I would venture to say a very long time. If a college coach has been to a high school game recently, it was probably fulfilling a favor of a prospect to garner attention. When college coaches have to "go through" handlers to speak to a prospect, things are out of control imo. Let's face it, there are tons of "leaches" looking for a payday and I believe this new rule will help curb this madness. It will not make it go away, but it will frustrate many "handlers" and change the landscape of CBB recruiting. Put yourself in their shoes. Would you want to deal with these self-serving idiots who are looking for a payday? These "handlers" look at these kids as nothing more than commodities. Sad. As GT said (at 4:04 this morning :lol:), it is not feasible for a coach to do the bulk of his recruiting during the season. As a result, each staff would likely have to hire an assistant coach whose sole purpose is traveling / recruiting. That'd work out fairly well for Kentucky, actually, as UK has enough resources to hire such a position. But college basketball shouldn't be about which program has more money. A lot of the mid majors or smaller programs have to drive around the country to each recruit, and that's simply not possible to do during the season. On top of that, AAU is where the best of the best play together. If you're going to evaluate a player, you want to see how he plays with other players who have similar talent. At first glance, I do like the idea of a few NCAA sanctioned events around the country. Maybe 2 in April or May and 2 in July.
October 26, 201015 yr Author Great take on the situation... http://www.ncaa.org/blog/2010/10/cut-out-middlemen-not-july/
October 29, 201015 yr Author No changes for now... http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5738607&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_collhoops_5738607
October 29, 201015 yr No changes for now... http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5738607&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_collhoops_5738607 Good news for now. It will be very interesting on how this goes.
October 28, 201114 yr http://ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/october/board+revamps+mens+basketball+recruiting In addition to modified recruiting periods and less stringent contact rules, the changes adopted by the Board include: •A start date for official visits beginning January 1 of the junior year, with schools able to pay travel expenses for the prospect and a parent/guardian. •Permitting some contact at a prospect’s educational institution during the junior year in conjunction with an evaluation, with some restrictions and requirements. •The July period will be limited to three four-day periods beginning Wednesday at 5 p.m. and ending Sunday at 5 p.m. •The April period will be limited to certified events that begin after 6 p.m. on Friday and end before 4 p.m. on Sunday. •Permitting staged, on-campus evaluations in conjunction with official visits, though further details will be considered. Looks like some major changes are being made in Men's Basketball....also with schlorships and academics but those are different issues.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.