Russell 41 Mercer County 26

midee1

Let me start by saying this. I am starting this thread to discuss the Russell/Mercer Co game. PERIOD. If you have nothing worthwhile to contribute other than trash talking. PLEASE MOVE ON. We do not need another thread closed due to ignorance. :rolleyes:

That being said post away.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job by the Russell players last night! A very physical game and the Red Devils were able to step up and get the W in the type of game they usually do not fare well in (a bigger, physical team). I truly believe that the Boyd County game way back in week 3 prepared the players for this type of game. This Mercer County team was probably the most physical team, with the possible exception of the aforementioned BC Lions, Russell has faced this season. Chad Edwards had a huge game with somewhere around 170 yards rushing. Casey Clark had another big game with 4 more TD's to run his season total to 34. Defensively, Russell was able to hold the Mercer offense in check for the most part before wearing down in the latter parts of the game. Another thing that hurt the Devils was some shaky pass coverage that was more the result of focusing on the running game as anything. The coaches hadn't seen any real passing game from them on film, although with the ability the QB showed throwing it, I'm surprised they don't do more of that. I have all the confidence in the world that Coach Morris will have the defense well prepared for Newport next Friday.

All that being said, the Scotties showed no quit, even when the outcome was decided. They played hard all game long and their fans and coaches showed nothing but class afterward (at least that's all I saw). In the other thread, someone from MC mentioned the "iffy" hospitality. I truly believe and hope their's was the exception as opposed to the rule. RHS goes to great strides to ensure a good experience for our visitors win or lose.

I'd say from a player to player Russell may have an advantage but then again Newport have some really standout players such as #2 Glenn and their QB is a really good athlete as well as a couple of others. Then I think about Russell and they are so fundamentally sound as a team that it kinda starts to sway back their way. Then you have the Ivan factor and in my opinion he's the best in our area. In the end I see Russell winning but maybe not putting Newport away as easily as who they have faced in the last couple of games. My take Russell 35 Newport 20.

Great game and great team Russell. The better team won, and I think this loss will serve a purpose as Mercer begins to advance year after year.

Fans were a pleasure to talk to, facilities were first rate, and although both teams players were flat laying the wood to each other, you could see the mutual respect. Even after the game, talking to the Russell parents and fans was enjoyable. Good luck Russell, I hope we were beaten by the State Champs.

By the way, the only black mark on the whole evening, were the radio guys from 107 KISS F.M. It's inappropriate to call a kid a chump on the air (that announcer should thank God his father didn't hear it) or trash talk about Bluegrass Preps. on the air. But most Mercer folks realize that a wannabe or never was with a headset and microphone do not reflect the class showed by the Russell program.

Work on the pass defense, Newport will surely test it.

Good luck! :thumb:

Russell is a hard running, hitting team, with not alot of big kids, but I have a few questions about Russell:

What's up with that fake kick-off? 7 out of the 8 fakes the referee had not yet blown the whistle for ready for play. Do they ever run the fake, seems kinda goofy for as good a program as Russell

#18 and #24 are as hard of hitting kids as I have seen, but #24 was a little late on several of his hits, one on the QB and a couple on the sidelines, does he have a history of that, or just pumped up for the game

Russell should advance against Newport.

Russell is a hard running, hitting team, with not alot of big kids, but I have a few questions about Russell:

What's up with that fake kick-off? 7 out of the 8 fakes the referee had not yet blown the whistle for ready for play. Do they ever run the fake, seems kinda goofy for as good a program as Russell

#18 and #24 are as hard of hitting kids as I have seen, but #24 was a little late on several of his hits, one on the QB and a couple on the sidelines, does he have a history of that, or just pumped up for the game

Russell should advance against Newport.

That's not so much of a fake kick-off as it is something that they do before each kick off. We've done that for years. As far as #24. No he usually does not do that. Must have been pumped for the game I guess.

Mercer played some hard ball. Great game and I am impressed as were many of the others than Mercer played till the bitter end. They never gave up. :thumb:

#32 was a brute. He gave it his all every play. Wish him the best of luck in the future.

Hope everyone had a safe trip home.

I didn't get to listen to the Russell broadcast. I'm a little surprised at the fact that they would mention BGP in a negative tone. What did they say?

Frances

I was listening to the game (from the stands) and the only thing I heard was that they couldn't wait to get on Bluegrasspreps after the game to see the comments after reading all the pregame comments. I think we all feel that way. I didn't hear anything negative unless I missed something.

I was listening to the game (from the stands) and the only thing I heard was that they couldn't wait to get on Bluegrasspreps after the game to see the comments after reading all the pregame comments. I think we all feel that way. I didn't hear anything negative unless I missed something.

Thanks, RDF. I probably misunderstood the first post, from NTRL.

Frances