KHSAA District format STINKS!!!

ZX3

When the state realigned the districts and regions the powers to be wanted volleyball to be set up like basketball. That is the reasoning for the one and out. They also wanted to get traditional rivalries set up in volleyball like they exist in basketball. Not sure why vb has to be set up like bb, but that was the goal. Other formats were offered by coaches from around the state, but the current format is what was accepted.

I am not sure why some districts get a blind draw and others get to seed. Are all districts the same in bb? If so, then it should be the same in vb, but I cannot answer this part of the debate.

The current set up is great for teams that would probably never have a shot under the old set up, and provides for many schools to have a wonderful experience. However, I can honestly say, it is not a true representation of the best talent in the state for a state tournament, and therefore is not the greatest show on earth. It does not even compare to the bb sweet sixteen. It also provides for some major disappointment for teams that should be there based on talent. There is no easy answer to this debate other than the state tournament does not showcase the best talent in the state as it used to do.

The LIVT is the strongest tournament inthe state and everyone knows it.

The state could look at other alternatives to post season play, but it will not happen. I know in Ohio, they rank the teams in a meeting and place the teams in sectionals based on who they played and who they beat during the season. Therefore, the talented teams get a better chance to get closer to state. This would never fly in KY though.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I can live with either a blind draw or seeding and also with either 1 and out or 2 and out if need be but I stand fast on only sending 1 team per region to the state tournament. The very best team from each region is the way the State Basketball tourney is setup and I feel IMO that this is the best way. I don't want to see regional runnerups going on to a state tourney regardless of how good they may be. Just my opinion though.

I am not sure who can make proposals. I heard that different people proposed sectionals, double elimination format, and enlarging the state tournament for greater participation. i guess they were all shot down and we have the format we are now stuck with.

When the state realigned the districts and regions the powers to be wanted volleyball to be set up like basketball. That is the reasoning for the one and out. They also wanted to get traditional rivalries set up in volleyball like they exist in basketball. Not sure why vb has to be set up like bb, but that was the goal. Other formats were offered by coaches from around the state, but the current format is what was accepted.

I am not sure why some districts get a blind draw and others get to seed. Are all districts the same in bb? If so, then it should be the same in vb, but I cannot answer this part of the debate.

The current set up is great for teams that would probably never have a shot under the old set up, and provides for many schools to have a wonderful experience. However, I can honestly say, it is not a true representation of the best talent in the state for a state tournament, and therefore is not the greatest show on earth. It does not even compare to the bb sweet sixteen. It also provides for some major disappointment for teams that should be there based on talent. There is no easy answer to this debate other than the state tournament does not showcase the best talent in the state as it used to do.

The LIVT is the strongest tournament inthe state and everyone knows it.

The state could look at other alternatives to post season play, but it will not happen. I know in Ohio, they rank the teams in a meeting and place the teams in sectionals based on who they played and who they beat during the season. Therefore, the talented teams get a better chance to get closer to state. This would never fly in KY though.

Thanks for the info. CVB. Very frustrating format...and I unfortunately realize it isn't going to change anytime soon... but somebody's gotta try...no one else is.

There should be some kind of end of the season GOAL that every team should strive for, and that goal is sort of taken away from you when you do a blind draw in Districts. You lose control of your own destiny and some other school or AD is in control of that???

all this talk about blind draw or seeding.It doesn't matter which way you go if you don't win then you go home,simple as that.Every team whether good or bad works hard when tournament time comes you have to win whomever you play.All the complaining when you have to play a tough team in the first round is silly.That is why they play the games.Seeding or blind draw you have to play the games and win simple as that.

all this talk about blind draw or seeding.It doesn't matter which way you go if you don't win then you go home,simple as that.Every team whether good or bad works hard when tournament time comes you have to win whomever you play.All the complaining when you have to play a tough team in the first round is silly.That is why they play the games.Seeding or blind draw you have to play the games and win simple as that.

It matters alot...the top two teams from districts go to Regionals!

There is alot on the line if you win the 1st match...you win the first match in some districts...you are automatically in the Regionals.

At least when you seed, most of the time you are getting the best teams to move on to Regionals.

I agree. As a district, I would hope that we want the best two teams to represent you in the region. Not matching the best team and the second best team against each other in the first round of the district.

So what happens when a lesser team upsets a better team should they not get to move on because of their season record was not as good? Each team is out to win their district and region.Don't complain because you get a good team the first game go out and beat them and move on.

If a lower seeded team beats the higher seeded teams then congrats to them. I think though that they should be rewarded for regular season success by playing a lower seeded team in the first round of the district. For example: In a four team district 1 seed should play the 4 and the 2 should play the 3. In that situation if the 4 beats the 1 and the 3 beats the 2 great job to them.

If a lower seeded team beats the higher seeded teams then congrats to them. I think though that they should be rewarded for regular season success by playing a lower seeded team in the first round of the district. For example: In a four team district 1 seed should play the 4 and the 2 should play the 3. In that situation if the 4 beats the 1 and the 3 beats the 2 great job to them.

:thumb: :thumb:

So what happens when a lesser team upsets a better team should they not get to move on because of their season record was not as good? Each team is out to win their district and region.Don't complain because you get a good team the first game go out and beat them and move on.

Then Hooray for the lesser team!!!...at least the seeds are in place.

It is not about record, it is about sending the best team to regionals.

Have you ever watched the NCAA tournament and seen an upset? Same principle...at least they got seeded where they belonged!(for the most part)

The fact that two very good teams could blind draw each other is not a good thing but worse than that is two bad teams drawing each other and one advancing to the region. In essence whatever district winner draws the bad team in the region tourney is getting a bye while another district winner may be facing a very good team.

That is why seeding or blind draw should be done by region not district.

What i think is a joke is when alot of teams show up at state 38 and 3 and they wouldnt have gotten out of their districs in alot of the state and they score a total of 18 points in 2 games....a quote i heard from one of the girls watching st henry warm up.."My gawd those girls are good"....where do they play their matches to win 38.... :confused: :confused: Come out,come out wherever you are... :lol: