Adidas Invitational July 6 - 8

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 17U NKY Bulldogs defeated Utah Pump N Run in O.T. to advance to the quarterfinals of the Silver Bracket. Utah hit the floor with a 6’ 10”, two 6’ 9”s, a 6’ 6”, a 6’ 5” and some quick guards. There were 15 college coaches present including UNLV and Bucknell to see the Dogs go on a late run to force O.T. and to pull out the win. Bobby Stauffer, Jack Stewart , Tyler Hodges, Travis Montgomery and Todd Vollett did a great job limiting the Utah bigs. Robbie Barber, Matt Trammel, Chris Hayes and Jacob Flesch combined to frustrate the Utah guards, with Barber knocking down 14 second half points for the Dogs.

Shining Star Davis put the final nail I'm the D-One and Quincy Miller coffin with a 89-76 thumping.

Jody Demling reported that by his count 58 college coaches watching this game.

The Shining Star Sports-Davis team has played very well and gotten a lot of attention from the college coaches at the tournament.

Joey Demling wrote this about Robbie Stenzel of the Shinning Stars:Stenzel turns in a big effort

There were plenty of big-time performers for the Shining Stars-Davis team this week at the adidas Invitational Tournament in Indianapolis.

But one of the better efforts came from Clark County shooting guard Robbie Stenzel.

The 6-foot-4 Stenzel had two 20-plus point efforts and had just an all-around solid tournament. The Shining Stars were eliminated this morning in overtime.

"I think we all know this month is huge," Stenzel said. "I just want to try and get all the looks that I can to have more opportunities."

Stenzel already holds offers

NKY Bulldogs 78 - Spiece Gym Rats 61

Bobby Stauffer - 25 points 12 rebounds

Chris Hayes - 13 points 8 rebounds

Jack Stewart - 11 points - 6 rebounds

Travis Montgomery - 9 points

Todd Vollet - 8 points

Robbie Barber - 5 points

Matt Trammel - 4 points

The Bulldogs were up 5 at half and pulled away i nthe second half to take a 20 point lead at one time.

NKY Bulldogs 66 - VA Assault 78

Jacob Flesch - 12 points

Bobby Stauffer - 10 points

Chris Hayes - 9 points

Matt Trammel - 9 points

Robbie Barber - 8 points

Todd Vollet - 7 points

Jack Stewart - 6 points

Travis Montgomery - 4 points

VA Assault opened a huge lead from the start with aggressive full court pressure and the help of their overwhelming size advantage. In the second half the Bulldogs hit a series of three's and cut the lead to two with about 3 minutes to go. The Assault opened up a 4 point lead and finished out at the line to seal the game. They have advanced to the finals of the gold bracket. A very good team.

NKY Buldlogs 76 - Utah Pump N Run - 69 OT

Jack Stewart - 15 points

Bobby Stauffer - 12 points

Travis Montgomery - 11 points

Matt Trammel - 11 points

Robbie Barber - 8 points

Tyler Hodges - 7 points

Chris Hayes - 6 points

Jacob Flesch - 4 points

Todd Vollet - 2 points

This game was a series of runs from start to finish. Utah was up by 3 with 8 seconds to go and the Buldlogs missed a 3 and were able to secure the rebound and get a timeout. Coming out the timeout with 3 seconds to go, Jack Stewart hits a three at the buzzer to tie the game. The Bulldogs controlled the overtime and pulled away at the line to seal the win.

NKY Buldlogs 73 - Grand Rapids Storm 77

Bobby Stauffer - 14 points

Todd Vollet - 11 points

Chris Hayes - 11 points

Jack Stewart - 8 points

Jacob Flesch 7 points

Robbie Barber - 6 points

Matt Trammel - 6 points

Tyler Hodges - 6 points

Travis Montgomery - 5 points

The Storm built a double digit lead in the first half led by tremendous shooting by their #12. (Mack McKearney) The Buldlogs made adjustments in the second and limited him slightly, but he continued to drop three's from everywhere. He finished with 33 points. Even with this outrageous shooting, this game was tied with a minute left. The Bulldogs were down 3 after a McKearney 3 and the Storm fouled. Chris Hayes hit the first to make it a two point game. Off the intentional miss, Bobby Stauffer lands a rebound, but the ball is knocked loose and recovered by the Storm. As the buzzer sounded, the Bulldogs fouled, but the Storm hit 2 more free throws with .5 seconds remaining to close the game.

Just got in from the tourney. Saw some great basketball and players. Got to talk to GT, as always glad to see him and talk players and hoops. Also talked to Gilbert of Mason Co, he was staying at same hotel we were, very nice young man.

Very proud of the GRC boys, they all played well in the tourney. Stenzel, Daniels and Purvis of the Shinning Stars -Davis won their first 2 games by 20+ each. Lost to Utah Pump and Run, by 22 and then turned around and beat Quincy Miller's team by 16. The Shinning starts team played every morning at 8:15, there went my sleeping in on vacation,:D. Jaylan Daniels really helped his stock this week with his play along with Stenzel. Both had great tourneys.

Indiana Elite won their pool in the "Supper Pool" bracket. First game in bracket play they were down 16 and came back and won. Lost this morning to a very good team from New York. One kid I was really impressed with was Tanner LaBarron, class of 2013. He played up in the 17U group with the Utah Pump and Run. PG that really knows the game and how to get his teammates involved. Loved watching this kid play. Saw a 7'4 kid this moring from Canada play against the Shinning starts team, man was he huge.

Adam Fatkin of the D. Smith 16U team had a great tourney. Adam will be a Junior at GRC.

I did get to see some major dunks this week. Got to mention that Daniels and Stenzel had big dunks against Q. Millers team.

Gald I got to spend my vacation doing one of my favorite things, watching basketball.

:laugh: I will tell her. Thanks, GT. Really enjoyed this week. Do you know who won the tourney?

Dallas Mustangs took the title. Would have loved to see New Heights get it done though. Teams that play as hard as they do from buzzer to buzzer are always impressive...

Dallas Mustangs took the title. Would have loved to see New Heights get it done though. Teams that play as hard as they do from buzzer to buzzer are always impressive...

I too would have liked to see them win after after they elimitated Indiana Elite.

I got to watch some of the S3-Davis team play against D1 and this was one of the fastest pace games of the tournament. Shanklin and Stenzel looked awesome when I was watching. Stenzel's basketball IQ is amazing. This kid can play. This was a fun game to watch. I wish I didn't have to leave. The S3 team was up by about 8 when I left.