Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

FIBA U18 Americas

Featured Replies

Say you have a class of Teague, Mike G, and Q Miller. Would that make one or the other the better fit being Miller has such good range and versatility?

 

Johnny O' would likely be the best fit in that scenario. Davis would make opposing coaches curl up in a ball trying to figure out how to defend them though... :lol:

  • Replies 56
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gotta think though, Cal likes to have one in, four out. If Miller plays the four, you more than likely want the better post skills at the five regardless of range.

 

Yeah but I don't know if I would say JOB has better post skills. May be a bit more physical.

  • Author
Used to be me, man. Got to college at about 155 and haven't left 170+ since. I needed it though. Being 6'0 and 155 wasn't very fun lol.

 

I got to college at about a buck thirty and ended up where I am at now, not fun being there either. :lol:

 

Still played football my senior year of high school too, and led the team in receptions. Let's just say the other teams enjoyed tackling me, I was the guy in which you made highlight reel hits on. BUT, I always got up, and always caught the ball. I guess that's the main thing. Which I was one of the youngest in my graduating class, started college at 17. Had a few small offers to play baseball, that was my main squeeze, I've always wondered what would happen if I would have been held back and perhaps gained the weight and muscle that I did as soon as I turned 18.

Gotta think though, Cal likes to have one in, four out. If Miller plays the four, you more than likely want the better post skills at the five regardless of range.

 

Would love to see a 5 out version of the DDM with Gilly, Miller and Davis taking turns on the weak side. Davis showed shocking post moves for someone that has only been tall for like a week this spring. He put it on some of the best big men with moves on the block this spring.

 

Like I said, I could argue for either kid all day and night and still not be sold on one over the other. Both are great kids, students and ball players...

  • Author
Johnny O' would likely be the best fit in that scenario. Davis would make opposing coaches curl up in a ball trying to figure out how to defend them though... :lol:

 

That is a team I would love to see in transition.

I got to college at about a buck thirty and ended up where I am at now, not fun being there either. :lol:

 

Still played football my senior year of high school too, and led the team in receptions. Let's just say the other teams enjoyed tackling me, I was the guy in which you made highlight reel hits on. BUT, I always got up, and always caught the ball. I guess that's the main thing. Which I was one of the youngest in my graduating class, started college at 17. Had a few small offers to play baseball, that was my main squeeze, I've always wondered what would happen if I would have been held back and perhaps gained the weight and muscle that I did as soon as I turned 18.

 

I'd say make it to the majors...big mistake not to consider being held back :lol:

  • Author
Would love to see a 5 out version of the DDM with Gilly, Miller and Davis taking turns on the weak side. Davis showed shocking post moves for someone that has only been tall for like a week this spring. He put it on some of the best big men with moves on the block this spring.

 

Like I said, I could argue for either kid all day and night and still not be sold on one over the other. Both are great kids, students and ball players...

 

:thumb:

 

Which goes back to my main thought, if Cal lands one of the two to go with Mike and Teague I will be more than pumped.

Yeah but I don't know if I would say JOB has better post skills. May be a bit more physical.

 

That's pretty accurate. Johnny O' can do a lot more pure banging because of his bulk. Davis is not there yet, and might not have the frame to ever get there...

That's pretty accurate. Johnny O' can do a lot more pure banging because of his bulk. Davis is not there yet, and might not have the frame to ever get there...

 

I think given time to get used to his new position and home down on the block Davis can learn to get more physical. I feel like he plays like a guard in the post. Kind of hard to explain. I'm sure you kind of know what I'm talking about, GT. I hope..

  • Author
I'd say make it to the majors...big mistake not to consider being held back :lol:

 

HAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

 

 

Sadly, I met some guys in college, and even know a guy I played with in high school who actually have that mentality. One of the guys was talking about working out for like four months straight then going to try and tryout for like the Legends, or West Virginia Power or something like that. Took everything I had not to laugh in his face. Met up with him at the Bluegrass Games when my softball team played his, needless to say he is softball guy that Jim Rome talked about.

HAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

 

 

Sadly, I met some guys in college, and even know a guy I played with in high school who actually have that mentality. One of the guys was talking about working out for like four months straight then going to try and tryout for like the Legends, or West Virginia Power or something like that. Took everything I had not to laugh in his face. Met up with him at the Bluegrass Games when my softball team played his, needless to say he is softball guy that Jim Rome talked about.

 

That could have been you dol...coulda been you :cry:

 

Let's take a trip out to the cages for a comeback. I'll train you and we can keep BGP's updated :popcorn:

  • Author
That could have been you dol...coulda been you :cry:

 

Let's take a trip out to the cages for a comeback. I'll train you and we can keep BGP's updated :popcorn:

 

If you can get us a reality show deal then I'm in. :D

I think given time to get used to his new position and home down on the block Davis can learn to get more physical. I feel like he plays like a guard in the post. Kind of hard to explain. I'm sure you kind of know what I'm talking about, GT. I hope..

 

Yeah that makes some sense.

 

One of the few things Jimmy Dykes ever said over and over again that made sense on a broadcast was Jarvis Vernado's ability to keep space between him and an offensive player when going for a blocked shot, and that was something that Davis did at a really high level all spring. He understood he couldn't physically bang with the big boys and take the abuse, so he took his length and athleticism and made it work. Johnny O' does it the other way. Both work at an extremely high level...

Other guys suiting up for the USA are Quincy Miller, Patric Young, Abdul Gaddy, Tony Mitchell, Josh Hairston, among others.

 

 

The U17 World Championships start on July 2nd, and they will feature future Cats, Mike Gilchrist and Marquis Teague, along with other top 2011 guys such as Johnny O'Bryant, James Mcadoo, Tony Wroten, and more.

 

I am over here in Hamburg right now for the FIBA games, as Team Liaison, as well as for Serbia, I'll try and post some pics soon.

  • Author
I am over here in Hamburg right now for the FIBA games, as Team Liaison, as well as for Serbia, I'll try and post some pics soon.

 

Nice. How'd you pull that gig?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.