Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKU Men Basketball

Featured Replies

How much are the students/parents willing to pay in order to cover the tremendous costs to go D1?

 

Is NKU that much less than UK or UL?

  • Replies 61
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is NKU that much less than UK or UL?

 

Apples and oranges. There's a huge upfront cost and reoccuring cost go move to D1. NKU is having to raise tuition every year due to state budget issues. Where is NKU coming up with the money?

Apples and oranges. There's a huge upfront cost and reoccuring cost go move to D1. NKU is having to raise tuition every year due to state budget issues. Where is NKU coming up with the money?

 

Well then, they are way behind. I don't know where the govenment gets the money they spend on other things. It's not like they are going to have a football team, which is the most expensive. These are just excuses and make NKU truly second rank-way behind UC and Xavier too. Let me know when the BOKC sells out for a mens game against Bellarmine.

Well then, they are way behind. I don't know where the govenment gets the money they spend on other things. It's not like they are going to have a football team, which is the most expensive. These are just excuses and make NKU truly second rank-way behind UC and Xavier too. Let me know when the BOKC sells out for a mens game against Bellarmine.

 

Not really sure where the animosity is coming from. Maybe Northern has other priorities that rank higher than having a D-1 athletic program. Such as having a College of Infomatics, and the building they are currently working on (only two in the country like it). Or maybe the new Health Proffessions building that is in the plans.

 

Second, I think many would agree that the BOKC wasn't exactly built to have sell out crowd for their basketball games. Sure it would be nice. But I would believe it was built to host numerous events on campus (Carrie Underwood, Alan Jackson, Jay-Z, Barnum & Bailey Circus, 9th & 10th Regional Basketball tournaments, Monster Truck rallies, and etc).

 

University of Cincinnati was started in 1819.

Xavier University was started in 1831.

Northern Kentucky University started in 1968.

 

I'd say they are doing pretty good since they are over 130 years younger than the two neighboring institutions.

Not really sure where the animosity is coming from. Maybe Northern has other priorities that rank higher than having a D-1 athletic program. Such as having a College of Infomatics, and the building they are currently working on (only two in the country like it). Or maybe the new Health Proffessions building that is in the plans.

 

Second, I think many would agree that the BOKC wasn't exactly built to have sell out crowd for their basketball games. Sure it would be nice. But I would believe it was built to host numerous events on campus (Carrie Underwood, Alan Jackson, Jay-Z, Barnum & Bailey Circus, 9th & 10th Regional Basketball tournaments, Monster Truck rallies, and etc).

 

University of Cincinnati was started in 1819.

Xavier University was started in 1831.

Northern Kentucky University started in 1968.

I'd say they are doing pretty good since they are over 130 years younger than the two neighboring institutions.

 

I'd say they are a fine d-2 school. As i said before it doesn't seem they are committed to athletics-the point of this board. I won't delve too far into the academics, but NKU doesn't stack up with UK, U of L, Miami (OH), Xavier, or UC in my opinion, and I hire people. It is still a degree just valued less than the others. It is viewed as a "fall back" school. You can always go there, and now the kids trick is to go to a "Gateway" first and then transfer to NKU to save money. In the pecking order, NKU is not high of four year universities in the commonwealth.

I'd say they are a fine d-2 school. As i said before it doesn't seem they are committed to athletics-the point of this board. I won't delve too far into the academics, but NKU doesn't stack up with UK, U of L, Miami (OH), Xavier, or UC in my opinion, and I hire people. It is still a degree just valued less than the others. It is viewed as a "fall back" school. You can always go there, and now the kids trick is to go to a "Gateway" first and then transfer to NKU to save money. In the pecking order, NKU is not high of four year universities in the commonwealth.

 

I would argue that it is in the Commonwealth (especially considering you just named three from Ohio). We don't need to turn this into a academic debate, but Northern Kentucky University has made great strides over even the last 5-10 years in given themselves and their graduates more credibility. I honestly don't think that there is any denying that.

 

I think saying that they are not committed to athletics is completely wrong. They are consistently one of the top competitors in their athletic conference in just about every sport, and many of their programs do very well on the National level. They are building new complexes/arenas that will undoubtley help with recruiting, which will continue to help make them a top D-II program and give them a chance to make the jump...when the time is right.

 

Lastly, what does any of this have to do with the quote of mine that you originally replied too in post #43?

It is viewed as a "fall back" school. You can always go there, and now the kids trick is to go to a "Gateway" first and then transfer to NKU to save money. In the pecking order, NKU is not high of four year universities in the commonwealth.

 

Completely untrue. They implemented new admissions standards several years ago which have helped increased their credibility, and quality of student. And I woudln't be surprised if there is another increase in their admissions standards in the near future.

MJAlltheWay24 you may be right in post #52, but the perception is that a degree from NKU is not as valuable as UK or U of L. I maintain my statement that the university cannot be committed to major athletics if they are still d-2. Does anyone care-you even-if NKU's women win the next five d-2 crowns? The crowds for those games are pitiful, and you honestly can't tell me you know where their opponents home state even is.

 

Cincinnati State is good in athletics too at their level, and nobody cares about that either. This is not a slight at the kids that play at that level, but the college athletics world is all about money, and if you are not d-1, you and your school doesn't have the money to play at the big boys table.

 

When is the time going to be right to jump? When the state gives them money? If so, you are really saying the same thing I am, and that is that they want to be d-1, but they just don't have the money.

MJAlltheWay24 you may be right in post #52, but the perception is that a degree from NKU is not as valuable as UK or U of L. I maintain my statement that the university cannot be committed to major athletics if they are still d-2. Does anyone care-you even-if NKU's women win the next five d-2 crowns? The crowds for those games are pitiful, and you honestly can't tell me you know where their opponents home state even is.

 

Cincinnati State is good in athletics too at their level, and nobody cares about that either. This is not a slight at the kids that play at that level, but the college athletics world is all about money, and if you are not d-1, you and your school doesn't have the money to play at the big boys table.

 

When is the time going to be right to jump? When the state gives them money? If so, you are really saying the same thing I am, and that is that they want to be d-1, but they just don't have the money.

 

I completely agree with you about the perception, which is a shame, but that is the way it is. I feel that as NKU continues to put out quality graduates, as well as raising their admissions standards, you will see that the perception will eventually begin to change. Unfortunately it takes time, but at the end of the day NKU is still really young compared to all of the other universities that have been named in this discussion.

 

You are right that not many would care about the women's basketball program (I would, but I know I'm in the minority). However, does anyone care about any women's basketball program (outside of UConn's and Tennessee's? lol). Heck, even until this year not many paid attention to UK women's team. But, I understand the point you are making.

 

I have had this discussion many times, but why make the jump until you are fully ready to go? Right now NKU is generally top-ranked in many of the different sports they offer, not just in their conference but in the nation at the D-II level. Why trade that in to be a bottom feeder in the D-1 program? They will eventually make the jump, I'm sure of it. Which is why they are currently going through a feasability study, from what I'm told. As you know History, it doesn't just happen overnight and until they had more approrpriate facilities like the BOK or the soccer complex, they didn't have the facilities to even think about it. And like I posted previously, they also need to make the move and add another sport or two from what I'm told.

Well then, they are way behind. I don't know where the govenment gets the money they spend on other things. It's not like they are going to have a football team, which is the most expensive. These are just excuses and make NKU truly second rank-way behind UC and Xavier too. Let me know when the BOKC sells out for a mens game against Bellarmine.

 

No money would seem to be a valid excuse.

So what does the complete list of incoming players for the Norse look like so far?

I don't think they have a complete list yet...I think they may still add another player.

 

They haven't updated their roster yet on the website either, so I am unsure.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.