April 16, 201016 yr Right. I don't think Clyde was speaking for the entire nation. He simply said that, in his experiences, there is not a shortage of white basketball players in youth leagues. That seems fair to me. Do you have any evidence otherwise? Obviously I don't, as I said, I don't know one way or the other. It's the same concept though, which was the original point that Clyde challenged.
April 16, 201016 yr My son who is now sixteen years old played eight years in the Southwest Ohio League which many of you know is considered the largest "select/travel" youth baseball league in the U.S.. Over those eight years, most of which playing in and around the I-275 loop, I saw very few black/minority kids participating. Just an observation.
April 16, 201016 yr So if people are going to argue that there are too few blacks in baseball, can I argue that there are too few white players in Basketball? Oh thats right, I'd be considered racist then wouldn't I? Double standard at its finest...
April 16, 201016 yr So if people are going to argue that there are too few blacks in baseball, can I argue that there are too few white players in Basketball? Oh thats right, I'd be considered racist then wouldn't I? Double standard at its finest... excellent point and spot on!
April 16, 201016 yr Statistics that break the human race down by sex, religion or race annoy me to no end. There aren't enough African American country music singers. There aren't enough whites in basketball. There aren't enough white rappers. We need more African American business owners. There aren't enough women working in the power generating and refining industries. We don't have enough African American head coaches. I could go on for days. If the number of African American baseball players are decreasing, it has nothing to do with racism and everything to do with young African Americans not being interested in baseball... I truly fear that we will live in a society one day that skill, qualifications, education and experience are thrown out the window. For every person hired, a person of the opposite sex and race will also be hired to make things fair for everyone.
April 16, 201016 yr Let me disagree with the premise. Why are we limiting it to "white players in the inner city?" We're having a macro argument and you've gone micro on me. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree with you on this subject. I like you and respect you. I don't feel the same as you which is fine. My "macro argument" is the lack of white players in the NBA. You had said the youth games you had been around there was no lack of white players. My argument was that I think it would depend on where you are watching those games. There are more white kids in the world than black therefor there should be more white kids playing than black. If you went and watched a game in an inner city where there was a more dense population of blacks then you might be saying that there is a lack of white kids playing basketball. I think it depends on the geographic area you are in somewhat. Bottom line for me is this: I think if somebody took the pecentage of white population in the US and compared it to percent of whites in the NBA it would be as bad if not worse than the percent of blacks in US compared to blacks in MLB. Numerator is bigger too which makes it even worse.
April 16, 201016 yr I truly fear that we will live in a society one day that skill, qualifications, education and experience are thrown out the window. For every person hired, a person of the opposite sex and race will also be hired to make things fair for everyone. Bad news we already live in that world. I've seen my wife that worked in a job 8 years and was recognized by the state as the model for her job get turned down for 2 jobs in Lex school system. The 2 girls they hired over her both had zero work experience but it counted toward a quota. I understand why laws are in place but unfortuantly there is discrimantion the other way that nobody ever wants to talk about. I'm white. I've got a lot of black and white friends. I've coached a lot of black and white kids. I've also helped my wife through her job provide families with food for Thanksgiving, toys for Christmas etc. Those families were black and white. Racisim is what it is. It's gotten better but still very alive not only whites against blacks but also blacks against whites. Problem is that is like an elephant in the room. Sad but true. On the subject of the Pros I'm just not buying the racism in the Pros. To much money on the line for owners to let that get in their way. They are going to go get the players that is going to make them the money. The majority are also going to try to put the best product on the field they can for the price.
April 17, 201016 yr So if people are going to argue that there are too few blacks in baseball, can I argue that there are too few white players in Basketball? Oh thats right, I'd be considered racist then wouldn't I? Double standard at its finest... I think you're looking for trouble where trouble doesn't exist. Unless I've missed it (and other than a few ignorant current players like Hudson) no one is claiming that the REASON there are fewer blacks players is due to WHITE folk keeping them down. Its simply an observation that the number is decreasing and looking for a reason to up the number. No one in their right mind believes that owners in MLB or the NBA care about race.
April 17, 201016 yr I'm fine with agreeing to disagree with you on this subject. I like you and respect you. I don't feel the same as you which is fine. My "macro argument" is the lack of white players in the NBA. You had said the youth games you had been around there was no lack of white players. My argument was that I think it would depend on where you are watching those games. There are more white kids in the world than black therefor there should be more white kids playing than black. If you went and watched a game in an inner city where there was a more dense population of blacks then you might be saying that there is a lack of white kids playing basketball. I think it depends on the geographic area you are in somewhat. Bottom line for me is this: I think if somebody took the pecentage of white population in the US and compared it to percent of whites in the NBA it would be as bad if not worse than the percent of blacks in US compared to blacks in MLB. Numerator is bigger too which makes it even worse. Let me make a few corrections to your assumptions (and thank you for the kind words). If I'm at Taft High School in Cincinnati watching them play Woodward I would NOT be saying there is a lack of white kids playing basketball. Equally, if I were watching Highlands and Beechwood or Beechwood and CCH play basketball I wouldn't be saying there are not enough black kids playing basketball. Secondly, the fact there are more white people in the country than there are black does not lead me to believe that there should be more white players in the NBA than there are. Race by itself is such an insignificant factor in determining who makes the NBA and who doesn't. No one bemoans the decreasing number of whites in the NBA because IMO there is not a paucity of white kids playing youth/high school basketball like there is with blacks and baseball.
April 17, 201016 yr If the number of African American baseball players are decreasing, it has nothing to do with racism and everything to do with young African Americans not being interested in baseball... ...and 90% of the folks realize that.
April 17, 201016 yr ...and 90% of the folks realize that. I agree. However, we worry far too much about what the other 10% think...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.