Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Duke player's 'stomp' flattened appreciation of shot

Featured Replies

It's going to be an annual topic of conversation considering it's one of the most famous shots in the history of college basketball and is shown regularly during March Madness.

 

Thanks, Captain Obvious. :lol:

  • Replies 42
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no problem with talking about it. I am just saying I bet if KY won and Duke lost this thread would not have been started this weeK.

You also understand that the Evansville Courier and Press is the home town paper of Evansville, IN ? The thread was started because of the article. The article was written because every year CBS chooses to show this wonderful moment in the tournament history but fails to show that same player stomping on an opponent.

I'll tell you like I tell the Wildcat fans: Get. Over. It.

 

 

Thanks, Captain Obvious. :lol:

 

How dumb of me to respond! :rolleyes:

If Farmer had hit both, there would have not been an OT. So it's Richie's fault. :lol:

 

I've always said that he should not have been ejected. It was Laettner being Laettner.

 

But I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Vern Lindquist after that. During the broadcast Len Elmore (Maryland grad btw) tried to be apologetic and said, "I don't know if he meant to do that or not."

 

Lindquist immediately and with force stated sternly: "Oh, yes he did!" Always liked Vern for calling it what it was from the beginning. :thumb:

 

:banana:

 

 

:lol:

 

Finally! Someone sees what I have been saying for years. It's Richie Farmers fault.

 

Seriously though, I always thought that him making 1 of 2 technical free throws was an unspoken irony of the whole game. How does the game turn out if he makes both is the great white buffalo, IMHO.

 

I always joked around with my friends that are UK fans that Laettner was getting ready to fall but Timberlake's chest held him up and kept him from spraining an ankle and that Duke fans were glad he was laying there. It was an obvious stomp albeit a soft one, but still a stomp. I watched the game recently and I think whether he should have been thrown out is debatable. Some guys have done worse on the court and not been tossed others have done less and been tossed.

How dumb of me to respond! :rolleyes:

 

Well, since you got your feelings hurt, do you think it should stop being one of the biggest moments in NCAA basketball history just because some Kentucky fans don't like it? You're approaching it from the attitude that the college basketball world should revolve around the wishes and feelings of UK fans. It is what it is: A big moment. I'm sure Syracuse fans hate seeing Keith Smart's shot over and over.

Well, since you got your feelings hurt, do you think it should stop being one of the biggest moments in NCAA basketball history just because some Kentucky fans don't like it? You're approaching it from the attitude that the college basketball world should revolve around the wishes and feelings of UK fans. It is what it is: A big moment. I'm sure Syracuse fans hate seeing Keith Smart's shot over and over.

 

Don't flatter yourself. The day my feelings are hurt from a message board is the day I will check myself into therapy.

 

Do you even bother to read the posts or do you assume that any & every Kentucky fan has an agenda opposing yours?

 

I stated that the game is one of the best college basketball games of all time. Clearly, the game-winning shot is going to get a lot of recognition, and deservedly so.

 

I said that Laettner's punishment was warranted and that he should not have been ejected. Laettner's actions were busch league, but did not warrant an ejection, particularly when you consider the magnitude of the game.

 

I also said that Kentucky fans (and basketball fans alike) will continue to discuss the game as long as CBS shows it in their broadcasts.

 

Where in the world did you develop the idea that I think networks should quit airing it because some Kentucky fans don't like it? Is it because I'm a Kentucky fan incapable of being objective? Or is it your agenda that is blinding you?

Well, since you got your feelings hurt, do you think it should stop being one of the biggest moments in NCAA basketball history just because some Kentucky fans don't like it? You're approaching it from the attitude that the college basketball world should revolve around the wishes and feelings of UK fans. It is what it is: A big moment. I'm sure Syracuse fans hate seeing Keith Smart's shot over and over.

 

While as a UK fan, I have learned in the past 24-48 hours to keep my mouth shut as UK fans are apparently not permitted to say anything which either the 18% or non UK fans dislike, ... I have to address this part. I am sure that Syracuse fans hate seeing that shot, ... but do you really think that this shot is shown anywhere nearly as often as 'The Shot'?

 

As far as it stopping, this shot will continue to be a part of highlights and basketball lore for many years to come. After all, it was the biggest shot in the best college basketball game I have ever seen. I can't blame them for showing it and while I don't like it, I don't think they should stop showing it. If I was in charge of editing the highlights for the networks, ... I would continue to put it in there.

While as a UK fan, I have learned in the past 24-48 hours to keep my mouth shut as UK fans are apparently not permitted to say anything which either the 18% or non UK fans dislike, ... I have to address this part. I am sure that Syracuse fans hate seeing that shot, ... but do you really think that this shot is shown anywhere nearly as often as 'The Shot'?

 

As far as it stopping, this shot will continue to be a part of highlights and basketball lore for many years to come. After all, it was the biggest shot in the best college basketball game I have ever seen. I can't blame them for showing it and while I don't like it, I don't think they should stop showing it. If I was in charge of editing the highlights for the networks, ... I would continue to put it in there.

 

I never said it was, but it has gotten a ton of mileage over the years, the same way Jordan's shot has. Then again, neither of those games have been deemed the greatest college basketball game ever, so it's always going to get a ton of use. Not because it's "rubbing salt in the wounds" of Wildcat fans, like the conspiracy theorists like to believe.

Don't flatter yourself. The day my feelings are hurt from a message board is the day I will check myself into therapy.

 

Do you even bother to read the posts or do you assume that any & every Kentucky fan has an agenda opposing yours?

 

I stated that the game is one of the best college basketball games of all time. Clearly, the game-winning shot is going to get a lot of recognition, and deservedly so.

 

I said that Laettner's punishment was warranted and that he should not have been ejected. Laettner's actions were busch league, but did not warrant an ejection, particularly when you consider the magnitude of the game.

 

I also said that Kentucky fans (and basketball fans alike) will continue to discuss the game as long as CBS shows it in their broadcasts.

 

Where in the world did you develop the idea that I think networks should quit airing it because some Kentucky fans don't like it? Is it because I'm a Kentucky fan incapable of being objective? Or is it your agenda that is blinding you?

 

The only "agenda" I've had with relation to "The Shot" and Duke in general is UK fans' misguided hate, and my efforts to help them get over it. As I noted in the reply to MT just above this post, it gets lots of air time because it was arguably the biggest play in college basketball history (since it came in what is widely accepted to be the greatest game in college basketball history).

 

I don't like Duke any more than the next guy. I root against them most of the time. But I don't obsess over them to the point of thinking of them as a "rival."

The only "agenda" I've had with relation to "The Shot" and Duke in general is UK fans' misguided hate, and my efforts to help them get over it. As I noted in the reply to MT just above this post, it gets lots of air time because it was arguably the biggest play in college basketball history (since it came in what is widely accepted to be the greatest game in college basketball history).

 

I don't like Duke any more than the next guy. I root against them most of the time. But I don't obsess over them to the point of thinking of them as a "rival."

 

Christian Laettner is easy to hate. He by most accounts I've seen, he was a jerk really. He also was an outstanding college basketball player. Now, I really don't hate anyone. I do dislike him myself.

 

Now, UK and Duke is not a rival, but if UK would have won it would be a big deal for the 2 to be playing each other. And, historically speaking they have been in several huge NCAA tournament games. UK beat Duke in the 66 Final Four before losing to Texas Western. Had Duke won they could have been the all white team against the all black team instead of UK. In 1978 UK beat Duke for a national title. In 92 it is considered the greatest college game very played. And 98 was 1 of the greatest NCAA tournament comebacks ever.

I never said it was, but it has gotten a ton of mileage over the years, the same way Jordan's shot has. Then again, neither of those games have been deemed the greatest college basketball game ever, so it's always going to get a ton of use. Not because it's "rubbing salt in the wounds" of Wildcat fans, like the conspiracy theorists like to believe.

 

Like I said, I know why they run the shot. Biggest shot in the best game ever (in the opinion of many). But the sheer volume of showings is pretty big.

 

For people who don't like UK, it is probably like seeing their favorite movie come on TV with a great ending, ... you have to sit down and watch it no matter now many times you have seen if before.

 

For UK fans, it is much like a movie you liked, but hated the ending and wish they wouldn't show it ever again because the ending still makes us cry!

The only "agenda" I've had with relation to "The Shot" and Duke in general is UK fans' misguided hate, and my efforts to help them get over it. As I noted in the reply to MT just above this post, it gets lots of air time because it was arguably the biggest play in college basketball history (since it came in what is widely accepted to be the greatest game in college basketball history).

 

I don't like Duke any more than the next guy. I root against them most of the time. But I don't obsess over them to the point of thinking of them as a "rival."

 

That's exactly what I said, and there has not been much anti-Duke sentiment in this thread. Personally, I couldn't care less about Duke. I hope that they do not win the national championship, but that's only because they have the best program of any in the Final Four.

 

In fact, you're the only one who has brought up any animus towards Duke in this thread. Have you ever considered that you do more harm than good in "helping" UK fans get over their problems? That is, if you truly believe that's your intention.

That's exactly what I said, and there has not been much anti-Duke sentiment in this thread. Personally, I couldn't care less about Duke. I hope that they do not win the national championship, but that's only because they have the best program of any in the Final Four.

 

In fact, you're the only one who has brought up any animus towards Duke in this thread. Have you ever considered that you do more harm than good in "helping" UK fans get over their problems? That is, if you truly believe that's your intention.

 

Sometimes people don't like going to the doctor because they don't want to hear what he has to say, or they don't want to swallow the bitter pill he prescribes. But, deep in their hearts, they know he's right and it's for the best. :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.