March 15, 201016 yr I'm usually not one to point out things from Tipton, especially compared to others. But when I was reading the article he wrote about the game, I stumbled upon this line that just seem so not necessary and wondered why even put it in the article? The first four fouls of the game went against State. Dating back to the game in Starkville, that meant 14 straight foul calls going against State in a game with Kentucky. If I didn't know where the article came from, I would think I was reading the student paper at Mississippi State.
March 15, 201016 yr I'm usually not one to point out things from Tipton, especially compared to others. But when I was reading the article he wrote about the game, I stumbled upon this line that just seem so not necessary and wondered why even put it in the article? The first four fouls of the game went against State. Dating back to the game in Starkville, that meant 14 straight foul calls going against State in a game with Kentucky. If I didn't know where the article came from, I would think I was reading the student paper at Mississippi State. That's just Jerry being Jerry... I used to get all upset about his articles, but I actually have bumped into him several times during press conferences and I don't have any hard feelings. He seems like a nice guy, but his slant on UK hoops is very "odd" for a so-called beat writer. Even his questions at pressers seem to be fishing for a weird angle.
March 15, 201016 yr Author That's just Jerry being Jerry... I used to get all upset about his articles, but I actually have bumped into him several times during press conferences and I don't have any hard feelings. He seems like a nice guy, but his slant on UK hoops is very "odd" for a so-called beat writer. Even his questions at pressers seem to be fishing for a weird angle. I'm not bent out of shape over it or anything, but I agree, his angle is very odd. Even during the whole Calipari/Knight incident, he kept prying for more. I know that's what is expected of writers, but he doesn't appear as the beat-writer for the Cats.
March 15, 201016 yr I'm not bent out of shape over it or anything, but I agree, his angle is very odd. Even during the whole Calipari/Knight incident, he kept prying for more. I know that's what is expected of writers, but he doesn't appear as the beat-writer for the Cats. Don't get me wrong, he's no John Clay...:ylsuper:
March 15, 201016 yr So now we're bashing Tipton for reporting facts. What else his he supposed to report on? Come on guys.
March 15, 201016 yr Author So now we're bashing Tipton for reporting facts. What else his he supposed to report on? Come on guys. Don't be so naive. It would be different if he simply pointed out that Mississippi State had 4 or 5 fouls compared to Kentucky - that's fine. But to bring up a game from a month ago and add the fouls together? What is the point?
March 15, 201016 yr So now we're bashing Tipton for reporting facts. What else his he supposed to report on? Come on guys. Facts can still be slanted negatively... Well, all except for that blatant lie about watching Patterson drive off in his new $30,000 wheels (that were parked in Huntington) :lol:
March 15, 201016 yr Don't be so naive. It would be different if he simply pointed out that Mississippi State had 4 or 5 fouls compared to Kentucky - that's fine. But to bring up a game from a month ago and add the fouls together? What is the point? It's done all the time. Brett Dawson mentioned that Kentucky had outscored Tennessee 104-65 over the final 10 minutes of the Knoxville game and the SEC tourney game. Where was the thread on that? Ah yes. Positive facts are ok.
March 15, 201016 yr It's done all the time. Brett Dawson mentioned that Kentucky had outscored Tennessee 104-65 over the final 10 minutes of the Knoxville game and the SEC tourney game. Where was the thread on that? Ah yes. Positive facts are ok. I respectfully disagree with you on this particular issue. No one else is out digging up the fouls from the last MSU game...
March 15, 201016 yr Author It's done all the time. Brett Dawson mentioned that Kentucky had outscored Tennessee 104-65 over the final 10 minutes of the Knoxville game and the SEC tourney game. Where was the thread on that? Ah yes. Positive facts are ok. I believe a score is a bit different than a foul situation. Considering when fans or coaches blame the refs, they point out foul disparity not layup or three-point disparity. You point out the foul disparity if you're making a case that it looked like something fishy was going on.
March 15, 201016 yr I think Tipton makes a good point, especially considering the fact that the announcers made the statement during the game that Miss. State led the league in having the least number of fouls called against them during the season. It's interesting that such a team would have 14 straight fouls called against them vs. Kentucky. Now I'm not saying there were fouls or weren't fouls, but let's turn the situation around and say that Kentucky were flagged for 14 straight penalties against Alabama in football. I'm sure somebody would be pointing out that fact.
March 15, 201016 yr Author I think Tipton makes a good point, especially considering the fact that the announcers made the statement during the game that Miss. State led the league in having the least number of fouls called against them during the season. It's interesting that such a team would have 14 straight fouls called against them vs. Kentucky. Now I'm not saying there were fouls or weren't fouls, but let's turn the situation around and say that Kentucky were flagged for 14 straight penalties against Alabama in football. I'm sure somebody would be pointing out that fact. In one game, I certainly would point it out. However, this was two games. Also remember that a few of those fouls to end the game in Starkville were purposeful by Mississippi State to extend the game. At one point in the game, Mississippi State had five fouls to Kentucky's zero. By halftime, they were even.
March 15, 201016 yr I'm usually not one to point out things from Tipton, especially compared to others. But when I was reading the article he wrote about the game, I stumbled upon this line that just seem so not necessary and wondered why even put it in the article? The first four fouls of the game went against State. Dating back to the game in Starkville, that meant 14 straight foul calls going against State in a game with Kentucky. If I didn't know where the article came from, I would think I was reading the student paper at Mississippi State. Talk about taking comments out of context. You left out a very important part of the story. Tipton was obviously making a point that UK fans think that every call should go their way. Why didn't you post the the next line in his story? State attacked early before UK’s defense got set. The Bulldogs also double-teamed DeMarcus Cousins whenever he got the ball in the low post. The latter brought early dividends as State got a tie-up and a charging foul on Cousins. The charge on Cousins came with 14:23 left. The first four fouls of the game went against State. Dating back to the game in Starkville, that meant 14 straight foul calls going against State in a game with Kentucky. Still, the charging call caused the many UK fans here to boo. Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/03/14/1181558/1-point-gives-uk-26th-sec-tournament.html#storylink=omni_popular#ixzz0iHPCyoif
March 15, 201016 yr I think Tipton makes a good point, especially considering the fact that the announcers made the statement during the game that Miss. State led the league in having the least number of fouls called against them during the season. It's interesting that such a team would have 14 straight fouls called against them vs. Kentucky. Now I'm not saying there were fouls or weren't fouls, but let's turn the situation around and say that Kentucky were flagged for 14 straight penalties against Alabama in football. I'm sure somebody would be pointing out that fact. I think the reason for more fouling by MSU was matchup issues. UK was bigger on the inside than most anyone else they face and they drive from many points on the floor than most any team MSU faces. That usually equals to more fouls than normal being called.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.