Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Juniors playing JV

Featured Replies

Is there a KHSAA rule that prevents Juniors from playing JV baseball? I'm trying to figure out if there is a rule or just a coach's philosophy. If it's just a philosophy, I'm not sure I understand the reasoning especially when it involves cutting Juniors that have been in the program since their Freshman year.

It is up to individual coaches. Most larger schools have JV players that are Juniors on it due to position depth.

Is there a KHSAA rule that prevents Juniors from playing JV baseball? I'm trying to figure out if there is a rule or just a coach's philosophy. If it's just a philosophy, I'm not sure I understand the reasoning especially when it involves cutting Juniors that have been in the program since their Freshman year.

 

The philosophy is that if you can't help the varsity team by your junior year, then its better to cut that player and develop a younger player. Happens in both basketball and baseball.

The philosophy is that if you can't help the varsity team by your junior year, then its better to cut that player and develop a younger player. Happens in both basketball and baseball.

 

That philosophy is not true at all schools.

Is there a KHSAA rule that prevents Juniors from playing JV baseball? I'm trying to figure out if there is a rule or just a coach's philosophy. If it's just a philosophy, I'm not sure I understand the reasoning especially when it involves cutting Juniors that have been in the program since their Freshman year.

 

It is definitely a philosophy. The coaches that I know in N KY (Dixie, Ryle, CCH) do not play juniors on the JV level.

I believe you have to look at your program from top to bottom every year. I know there are coaches that don't believe in keeping juniors on JV, but I have to believe they would under the right circumstances. If your graduating 12 or 13 seniors in combination with a weak incoming sophomore class. The need for juniors on JV may need to be considered. I don't believe you can chance hurting your program for an unknown number of years if you can keep a few juniors that can help weather the storm of a class or two that is lacking talent. Big schools should have a greater pool to choose from as for available talent, smaller schools maybe not.

It is definitely a philosophy. The coaches that I know in N KY (Dixie, Ryle, CCH) do not play juniors on the JV level.

 

Incorrect. CCH has played juniors. They had one last year for the entire season. They've moved juniors up and down to get innings on the mound.

It is definitely a philosophy. The coaches that I know in N KY (Dixie, Ryle, CCH) do not play juniors on the JV level.

 

Generally true for Ryle, but not absolutely. I recall three years ago a junior pitcher on varsity would come down to JV for an occasional start, as he simply wasn't getting any innings on the mound. I would say, however, that you wouldn't ever see a junior who is a position player on varsity ever going down to JV to pick up any innings (regardless whether he was simply sitting the bench on varsity).

Is there a KHSAA rule that prevents Juniors from playing JV baseball? I'm trying to figure out if there is a rule or just a coach's philosophy. If it's just a philosophy, I'm not sure I understand the reasoning especially when it involves cutting Juniors that have been in the program since their Freshman year.

 

I have asked the same question and from what I understand there is no rules from KHSAA regarding JV teams. From my observations regarding juniors on JV is that they keep sophomores with talent on the bench. If a kid doesnt make varsity by his junior year it is highly unlikely he will help you on the varsity anyway. The only way that might not be the case is if a pitcher needs innings or someone is hurt and needs to work their way back up. It is hard to cut a junior that has been in the program for two years I am sure. If you have an extremely talented and deep senior class that might affect the numbers...but usually if a kid cant make varsity by his junior year he wont help you later . It wouldnt be fair to the kid to let him play his junior year on jv then have to cut him as a senior.

First there are no rules as to who can play JV..............While highly discouraged I have seen the occasional senior play JV in various sports. However..............I agree with several of the posters that if you are a junior on the JV level..............unless it is an unusual circumstance, you probably will not help the varsity the following year.

I know that Conner does not allow juniors on JV.

  • Author

Thanks for all of the replies. While I agree with the responses and I understand the concept, what I don't understand is why you would cut juniors and the expect them to come back out their senior year. This just tells me that it's a numbers thing and they realize that the sophmore class isn't that strong. Now, if I'm a junior and I get cut and the coach tells me to make sure I come back out next year as a senior, I don't think I would do it.

 

If you think those juniors are good enough to come back as seniors, then you keep them in the program and have them play JV. Am I in the minority in that thinking???

Well.....I would assume the juniors that are cut are NOT in the plans to play varsity the following year.

Thanks for all of the replies. While I agree with the responses and I understand the concept, what I don't understand is why you would cut juniors and the expect them to come back out their senior year. This just tells me that it's a numbers thing and they realize that the sophmore class isn't that strong. Now, if I'm a junior and I get cut and the coach tells me to make sure I come back out next year as a senior, I don't think I would do it.

 

If you think those juniors are good enough to come back as seniors, then you keep them in the program and have them play JV. Am I in the minority in that thinking???

 

I think if a coach does tell a player to come back the next year, he as well tells them to work hard and get better in the same sentence. You also have to understand, cutting a player is one of the most unpleasant duties a coach has. If a coach does talk to a cut player it may be more to help soften the hurt of being cut. So some uplifting talk can't hurt, such as, work hard this summer and come try out next year. He isn't going to tell a player that's been cut he will play the next year, unless he improves. Some do work and improve, many just move on.

I totally agree that the Junior year is a cut point for a team unless they have a lot of seniors. Sure maybe the young man was on the team as a Freshman and Sophmore, because maybe the coach saw potential. High School boys grow at different times. Some high school boys don't work as hard as others. But if a kid hasn't worked hard or not developed like a coach had hoped and doesn't appear to be in the Varsity plans, should he take innings and at bats away from a young up and coming player. Keep in mind the JV program is a development tool for Varsity. Its not a local rec league.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.