Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Juniors playing JV

Featured Replies

  • Author
I totally agree that the Junior year is a cut point for a team unless they have a lot of seniors. Sure maybe the young man was on the team as a Freshman and Sophmore, because maybe the coach saw potential. High School boys grow at different times. Some high school boys don't work as hard as others. But if a kid hasn't worked hard or not developed like a coach had hoped and doesn't appear to be in the Varsity plans, should he take innings and at bats away from a young up and coming player. Keep in mind the JV program is a development tool for Varsity. Its not a local rec league.

 

I understand what you are saying. By the way, I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm viewing this particular program from a distance since I will have a kid coming up through it soon. This year they are senior heavy and will be next year as well, even with the junior cuts this year. Thanks again for all of the different takes on this.

Generally true for Ryle, but not absolutely. I recall three years ago a junior pitcher on varsity would come down to JV for an occasional start, as he simply wasn't getting any innings on the mound. I would say, however, that you wouldn't ever see a junior who is a position player on varsity ever going down to JV to pick up any innings (regardless whether he was simply sitting the bench on varsity).

 

Good point. I just meant that as a general philosophy, it is not done consistently. There will always be special circumstances where you may use your JV program in the ways that you have mentioned. I do know that these coaches that I mentioned in my original post would rather not use this practice for the most part.

Hey Tomcat trying to send a PM but you need to clear out some mail first...........

Thanks for all of the replies. While I agree with the responses and I understand the concept, what I don't understand is why you would cut juniors and the expect them to come back out their senior year. This just tells me that it's a numbers thing and they realize that the sophmore class isn't that strong. Now, if I'm a junior and I get cut and the coach tells me to make sure I come back out next year as a senior, I don't think I would do it.

 

If you think those juniors are good enough to come back as seniors, then you keep them in the program and have them play JV. Am I in the minority in that thinking???

 

Anybody that gets cut from Jv or Varsity and interested in playing, transfer in to a smaller school that needs players....Heritage, Villa etc and they can play right now. The ones transfered in right now, got cut from bigger schools, are real good players that just needs a chance. Anybody knowing of someone that got cut and wants to play this year. Not too late. Send them our way.

I think if Juniors can help you, you keep them. However, if there are Sophomores that are good, and will probably play over those Juniors, you cut the Juniors and develop the Sophomores. Lots of coaches use that philosophy, but not all.

The problem with having juniors on JV is they take away learning opportunities from younger players. A junior that is on a senior heavy team may just have to accept the role of being on the bench a lot until their senior season. You have to remember they have already had two years of JV experience. A younger player, even one who is not as good, must be in on JV over a junior to simply get the experience and learning opportunities they need. Besides, juniors who beat up on freshman pitching aren't learning anything thing new and rarely do they benefit (baseball wise) from playing JV.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.