Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top Juniors in the 9th Region

Featured Replies

I would keep and i on Travis Jones and Shawn Klass(Newport) to have great years. Both have started since they were frosh and they both had solid seasons last year.

  • Replies 79
  • Views 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would keep and i on Travis Jones and Shawn Klass(Newport) to have great years. Both have started since they were frosh and they both had solid seasons last year.

 

Not familiar with Jones, but Klass is solid and makes Newport tough when he's on the mound.

Not familiar with Jones, but Klass is solid and makes Newport tough when he's on the mound.

 

 

 

The Jones kid led the Newport team in hit's,Batted 353 for the year,also led the team in run's. All while playing a stellar shortstop which he has started at since he was a freshman. :notworthy:

Not familiar with Jones, but Klass is solid and makes Newport tough when he's on the mound.

 

I know Newport is not very strong and people dont pay much attention to them but that Jones kid is a real good player.

Edited by af veteran

I know Newport is not very strong and people dont pay much attention them but that Jones kid is a real good player.

 

 

 

 

I forgot to mention that Travis Jones is a nice pitcher too, but this Newport team needs him at shortstop.:thumb:

  • Author
I also agree with your assessment re: Shumate.

 

With regard to Sexton, does he offer anything besides pitching? I've seen him throw and do think he'll do very well this year, but does he offer anything offensively or defensively? I'm asking moreso than questioning, as I really don't know for certain, but my impression from what little I've seen and heard is that his hitting and fielding are fairly average.

 

I just got Sextons summer stats from his coach and here they are. Remember he was 16 this past summer playing in 18u tournaments against teams such as Bluegrass, KBC, Columbus Cobras, Midland and also some college showcase tournaments in the Eastern U.S.

 

Here is his stats:

Games Played- 53

AB BA C% OB% S% Hits Doubles HR RBI Runs SB SAC BB HP

147 .463 .871 .518 .714 68 13 11 58 40 9 3 9 1

I just got Sextons summer stats from his coach and here they are. Remember he was 16 this past summer playing in 18u tournaments against teams such as Bluegrass, KBC, Columbus Cobras, Midland and also some college showcase tournaments in the Eastern U.S.

 

Here is his stats:

Games Played- 53

AB BA C% OB% S% Hits Doubles HR RBI Runs SB SAC BB HP

147 .463 .871 .518 .714 68 13 11 58 40 9 3 9 1

 

Look, I'm not questioning that he's not a quality hitter as I really haven't seen him enough to know, but I have a VERY hard time believing that he hit 11 HR's against that level of competition. Let's see if he hits even half that total against regular, old, commonplace 9th region pitching . . . .

  • Author
Look, I'm not questioning that he's not a quality hitter as I really haven't seen him enough to know, but I have a VERY hard time believing that he hit 11 HR's against that level of competition. Let's see if he hits even half that total against regular, old, commonplace 9th region pitching . . . .

 

I dont know what teams he hit them against. You got to understand he probably didnt play those teams every game. They played in the 17u SWOL so he probably hit some in the league games also. I have no clue who he hit them against. Could have been in tournaments, could have been in league games against lesser competition. I dont know. For all I know he didnt hit a homerun at all against any of those teams. He might of hit them just in leagues of lesser competition in tournaments. I do know he hit 4 of his homeruns in the Scott County Invitational Tournament and 2 more of his homeruns in the Knoxville Stars tournament.

I thought Nick was not playing baseball anymore. He was going to play tennis???

 

He is playing baseball.

I dont know what teams he hit them against. You got to understand he probably didnt play those teams every game. They played in the 17u SWOL so he probably hit some in the league games also. I have no clue who he hit them against. Could have been in tournaments, could have been in league games against lesser competition. I dont know. For all I know he didnt hit a homerun at all against any of those teams. He might of hit them just in leagues of lesser competition in tournaments. I do know he hit 4 of his homeruns in the Scott County Invitational Tournament and 2 more of his homeruns in the Knoxville Stars tournament.

 

Wasn't he on a Continental level team? I'm almost positive the previous two years their team was Continental. Big difference between Continental and National level of play. Again, he may be all that and a cup of coffee and, if so, good for him. I have seen him pitch several times and he looked good and I'[m sure he'll be even better this year. It's just that the hitting line you posted was out of this world - Luke Maile could not have attained those numbers against the level of competition you mentioned. :sssh:

  • Author
Wasn't he on a Continental level team? I'm almost positive the previous two years their team was Continental. Big difference between Continental and National level of play. Again, he may be all that and a cup of coffee and, if so, good for him. I have seen him pitch several times and he looked good and I'[m sure he'll be even better this year. It's just that the hitting line you posted was out of this world - Luke Maile could not have attained those numbers against the level of competition you mentioned. :sssh:

 

They had a 16u team playing in the 18u division. Like I said before I'm not certain of what teams his homeruns came against. The only homeruns I am certain of is he hit 3 homeruns against Scott County's varsity summer team and 1 homeruns against another team in that tournament and I know he hit one homerun agaisnt the Knoxville Stars and one homerun against the Knoxville Yard Dogs. Only reason I know that is from some sources on his team and some parents. I dont think your understanding what I'm saying though about his homeruns. He might not have hit ANY homeruns against the higher competition they played. All his homeruns might have came against the lesser competition they played. I really dont know about his homeruns other than the ones I just told you.

I agree with Hempel, he is a very good player. What has Shumate done to say he must be on any top 10 list? He may fall in there, but in the lower half. I seen him pitch a couple games over the summer and did not fair very well. I was also told he did not have a very good summer from a couple of his team mates. He certainly struggled the summer before. JMO

 

 

 

I thought Nick was not playing baseball anymore. He was going to play tennis???

 

Josh Bertke should be on the list. With all of the experience he already has at the varsity level and big wins on the mound vs. quality teams.

 

Tyler Sexton at Dixie has a very good chance at a breakout season if given a chance.

 

I guess we can each view a player differently, these are just my opinions.

 

Was surprised to see this, this is 360 of what I had heard. I checked it out. I found out that he was the only full-time Sophomore on CovCath's varsity last year. He started the season as a closer and had 3 saves right out of the gate (one against Coop's Ryle team), and gave up no hits, no runs and no base runners in those games. He was moved from closer to a starter and went 3-0 with a win in a district seeding game (unusual for Coach Krumps to start a Soph in a district game with all of those talented Seniors, but I did confirm this). His last appearance was a four hit complete game win over Holy Cross in the finals of a tournament (I didn't catch which tourney). Not bad for a Soph playing on that talented CCH team with that schedule.

 

Last summer, he played for the Kentucky Colonels and I'm told the Colonels coaches were very happy with him. Don't know what games you watched, Coachg, but I didn't hear the same thing you did. I'm not privy to what he did his previous summer, but I'm not sure how relevant it is to placement on this list. Who did he play for? I know it was not the Colonels.

 

 

By the way, I understand he is 6'4", 210 lbs., and was clocked at Colonels try-outs last summer at an average of 87 m.p.h.

 

Not sure what qualifications that Coachg, Norm, and Coop are looking for to be on this list..........

Was surprised to see this, this is 360 of what I had heard. I checked it out. I found out that he was the only full-time Sophomore on CovCath's varsity last year. He started the season as a closer and had 3 saves right out of the gate (one against Coop's Ryle team), and gave up no hits, no runs and no base runners in those games. He was moved from closer to a starter and went 3-0 with a win in a district seeding game (unusual for Coach Krumps to start a Soph in a district game with all of those talented Seniors, but I did confirm this). His last appearance was a four hit complete game win over Holy Cross in the finals of a tournament (I didn't catch which tourney). Not bad for a Soph playing on that talented CCH team with that schedule.

 

Last summer, he played for the Kentucky Colonels and I'm told the Colonels coaches were very happy with him. Don't know what games you watched, Coachg, but I didn't hear the same thing you did. I'm not privy to what he did his previous summer, but I'm not sure how relevant it is to placement on this list. Who did he play for? I know it was not the Colonels.

 

 

By the way, I understand he is 6'4", 210 lbs., and was clocked at Colonels try-outs last summer at an average of 87 m.p.h.

 

Not sure what qualifications that Coachg, Norm, and Coop are looking for to be on this list..........

 

I wasn't intending to be derogatory towards him. When I said "I agreed" with coachg I was referring to his statement that if Shumate did deserve to be on a top ten list, it would be the bottom half. From what I've seen, he looked to be a nice pitcher, but I didn't think he was overpowering or anything and am just not sure I would rank him as one of the top 10 juniors in the 9th. Not meant to be an insult - just one guy's opinion. Now that being said, however, I will believe he throws 87 mph when I see it myself because he threw nowhere close to that in the games that I saw him.

By the way, I understand he is 6'4", 210 lbs., and was clocked at Colonels try-outs last summer at an average of 87 m.p.h.

 

Not sure what qualifications that Coachg, Norm, and Coop are looking for to be on this list..........

 

87 sounds a bit high...that's what Isler threw at.

87 sounds a bit high...that's what Isler threw at.

 

He may very well throw that now for all I know. He darn sure didn't last season. So my next comment is in no way directed specifically at him or AlexC.

 

We're getting right about the time of year that every decent pitcher in the 9th throws "around 80" and every good pitcher throws in the "high 80's." I am always amused by these comments. There are VERY few pitchers year in and year out here in the 9th that CONSISTENTLY throw in the 80's, much less the high 80's. Frankly, most teams around here are lucky if they have one guy that can throw that and quite a few teams won't have any. I know it's a nice round even number to toss around, but it really is kind of funny. And high 80's? There probably aren't more than 2 or 3 kids per year in NKY with that velocity.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.