Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Old Bracken County High School

Featured Replies

If your a fan of the 10th region, chances are you have visited the old Bracken County High School over the past several years. The school closed in December of 1997 to move to its current location. The school and gymnasium is set to be demolished starting february, to make room for the new justice center being built in Brooksville. Wallin Memorial Gymnasuim saw some great rivalries, district tournaments, and great basketball over many many years. I recently visited one last time to take one last look, and have included a few pics of the shape the gym is now in. If your a Bracken County fan these may be a bit painful.

P1250024.jpg

 

P1250025.jpg

 

P1250042.jpg

Just a shame this gym coulldn't have been used as a Boys and Girls Club, like Tom Browning's in Mason County. Would have provided so much useage for coaches from elementary to high school. Just a complete waste from the time it closed, what a shame.

When I played down there I seem to remember the bench being the first row of the bleachers. Is that memory correct?

Shame that they never did anything with this gym. I always thought it was bigger than the new one.

  • Author
Shame that they never did anything with this gym. I always thought it was bigger than the new one.

 

It did seat more than the current gym.

Wow, that brings back some memories. Spent many a night during basketball season watching the BCHS teams, and many afterschool and weekends playing on that court.

 

The sign with the famous Grantland Rice quote (cant remember it all), did they move that to the new gym?

Yes

Always loved playing there, and being from PC the place was always packed back in the day. Great atmosphere as everything was tight in there from the players bench to the cheerleaders on the ends. Shame it was never used after the new school was built.

When I played down there I seem to remember the bench being the first row of the bleachers. Is that memory correct?

 

Yes you are correct. They where on each side of the scorers table.

I have a lot of great memories from that gym. Played ball there. My Prom was held there and my graduation ceremony was held there. Went to a lot of Sock-hops there. That is a funny word that I have not heard for a long time. I am sorry to see it go. I will miss it but I do still have my memories.

Always loved playing there, and being from PC the place was always packed back in the day. Great atmosphere as everything was tight in there from the players bench to the cheerleaders on the ends. Shame it was never used after the new school was built.

BCH and PCH was a great rivilry at one time before they changed the districts. I really hated when that happened.

Will they let people go through it before they tear it down?

Yes you are correct. They where on each side of the scorers table.

 

Unfortunately, I spent way too much time on the pine. I became very familiar with it.

The sign with the famous Grantland Rice quote (cant remember it all), did they move that to the new gym?

 

For when the One Great Scorer comes

To write against your name,

He marks-not that you won or lost-

But how you played the game.

 

Now hangs in the new "Ice Palace"

Wow, that brings back some memories. Spent many a night during basketball season watching the BCHS teams, and many afterschool and weekends playing on that court.

 

The sign with the famous Grantland Rice quote (cant remember it all), did they move that to the new gym?

 

What about the sign that said, " No chewing tobacco allowed in gym". Always got a kick out of that one, don't think it is in the Igloo.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.