December 6, 200916 yr I'm not contradicting anything. Quit trying to turn everything around just to justify yourself when everyone else is against you. You said Kentucky shouldn't have to have Lebron to help it recruit. I said they don't have to have him to recruit, because obviously if you look at last years class they don't. But although they don't NEED him doesn't mean that it wouldn't HELP a lot. Because obviously every high school basketball player in the country would take notice. So I was just saying Kentucky doesn't need him to get recruits, but it would help and that would be big time being right now Cal is a top 5 recruiter. So try and turn what I say and mean into something that makes you look cool. I don't have any stars in my eyes, I am just stating what is the truth and so is everyone else. You just need to stop trying to be like Eddie Vedder and quit opposing everything if it has something to do with someone who has any kind of status in society. I can't help how the media portrays some of these types. But it sure doesn't make me star struck because I state the truth in saying it would be a big deal if Lebron came to a Kentucky game to support Kentucky. I just object to the idea of deifying normal human beings. And just because someone is famous doesn't mean they take a crap differently than the way you and I do. As I said, this whole Tiger Woods thing should've taught a lot of people some difficult lessons about treating famous people like they're more than human, but I guess that was wishful thinking.
December 6, 200916 yr I know where you're going with this, but it ain't working. I've had opportunities to meet plenty of my favorite musicians. Usually we just talk about music or other everyday stuff, or I just have a drink with them as though they were one of my friends. Talk to them like they're normal people and, surprise, you find out they usually are. Did you have that mentality when you were between the ages of 16-18 ?
December 6, 200916 yr For the record I'm against pro athletes being associated with college programs. If a pro athlete wants to come catch a game at their favorite college teams gym that's fine, but I don't think UNC should wear the Jordan logo and I don't think UK should wear LeBron gear.
December 6, 200916 yr Did you have that mentality when you were between the ages of 16-18 ? Yup. As Rocky's trainer says when he's fighting Drago, "He's just a man."
December 6, 200916 yr Yup. As Rocky's trainer says when he's fighting Drago, "He's just a man." You must have been very mature for your age...I really mean that, not taking a shot at you at all. I think some kids, not all, could be influenced slightly based on the fact that LeBron associates with UK.
December 6, 200916 yr You must have been very mature for your age...I really mean that, not taking a shot at you at all. I think some kids, not all, could be influenced slightly based on the fact that LeBron associates with UK. Not really. Still aren't.
December 6, 200916 yr Author I just object to the idea of deifying normal human beings. And just because someone is famous doesn't mean they take a crap differently than the way you and I do. As I said, this whole Tiger Woods thing should've taught a lot of people some difficult lessons about treating famous people like they're more than human, but I guess that was wishful thinking. Man your seriously missing the point. This isn't about how me or you think because believe it or not I actually have the same beliefs as you when it comes to stuff like that. Discarding me being under the age of ten, I have never asked for an autograph or would never want an autograph regardless of who its from. I understand that celebrities are people too and I don't idolize them. Many of my favorite people you would call celebrities are the ones that would be down to earth and that I would have loved or would love to get the chance to hang out with. But okay here's where I have been trying to get at, you ready...... It's not about how I feel about things. It's not about how you feel about things. It's about the way society as a whole thinks about things, and in sub context the way high school basketball prospects view things. Believe it or not Shoe, even though you may not feel that way, or even though some other people may not feel that way, celebrity idolization is big business. You have shows, magazines, websites, etc. dedicated strictly to bring people news on celebrities. Even in sports. Sports Center to an extent does its job to help hype the biggest names in sports, its just what sales to "people" (like I said "people", not you, not me, but "people"). So whether you want to think so or not (just because you, I or some other random joe may not care or idolize) Lebron coming to a Kentucky game would be a big deal to a lot of people, especially recruits, and those in charge of putting Kentucky in a national spotlight. I realize how society looks at things, thus I realize how big of a deal it would have been. Not because I would want to run up and shake his hand, freak out, and get an autograph, but just because of the significance it would hold due to the way society as a whole in general would view it. So like I said whether you feel that way or not Shoe, you cannot look at the whole world and expect every single person that makes up society to have the same views as you do in popular culture. It is in this aspect you have to at least respect the views of popular culture and realize the outcome it possesses on certain things, whether you personally agree or not. Like I have said for like the fourth time now. If you don't think this would be a big deal (not to you as a person, but sporting world pop culture society) then you are living in your own fantasy world and are oblivious to the thoughts of an outside society. Again its not about how you feel, its not about how I feel. Lord knows in a situation like this it doesn't matter. What does matter is how the majority of people would view this, and the majority of people are star chasers, and would say it is a HUGE deal. Thus it is a big deal.
December 6, 200916 yr Which game was that? Sam Houston St. I'm 90% sure. I remember Dicky was loving it, he milked every second out of it that he could.
December 6, 200916 yr Man your seriously missing the point. This isn't about how me or you think because believe it or not I actually have the same beliefs as you when it comes to stuff like that. Discarding me being under the age of ten, I have never asked for an autograph or would never want an autograph regardless of who its from. I understand that celebrities are people too and I don't idolize them. Many of my favorite people you would call celebrities are the ones that would be down to earth and that I would have loved or would love to get the chance to hang out with. But okay here's where I have been trying to get at, you ready...... It's not about how I feel about things. It's not about how you feel about things. It's about the way society as a whole thinks about things, and in sub context the way high school basketball prospects view things. Believe it or not Shoe, even though you may not feel that way, or even though some other people may not feel that way, celebrity idolization is big business. You have shows, magazines, websites, etc. dedicated strictly to bring people news on celebrities. Even in sports. Sports Center to an extent does its job to help hype the biggest names in sports, its just what sales to "people" (like I said "people", not you, not me, but "people"). So whether you want to think so or not (just because you, I or some other random joe may not care or idolize) Lebron coming to a Kentucky game would be a big deal to a lot of people, especially recruits, and those in charge of putting Kentucky in a national spotlight. I realize how society looks at things, thus I realize how big of a deal it would have been. Not because I would want to run up and shake his hand, freak out, and get an autograph, but just because of the significance it would hold due to the way society as a whole in general would view it. So like I said whether you feel that way or not Shoe, you cannot look at the whole world and expect every single person that makes up society to have the same views as you do in popular culture. It is in this aspect you have to at least respect the views of popular culture and realize the outcome it possesses on certain things, whether you personally agree or not. Like I have said for like the fourth time now. If you don't think this would be a big deal (not to you as a person, but sporting world pop culture society) then you are living in your own fantasy world and are oblivious to the thoughts of an outside society. Again its not about how you feel, its not about how I feel. Lord knows in a situation like this it doesn't matter. What does matter is how the majority of people would view this, and the majority of people are star chasers, and would say it is a HUGE deal. Thus it is a big deal. Word :thumb: I agree wholeheartedly, and for your sake (and sanity) I hope Jim does too :lol:
December 6, 200916 yr Author Word :thumb: I agree wholeheartedly, and for your sake (and sanity) I hope Jim does too :lol: Appreciate that. :lol:
December 6, 200916 yr Jim - you wouldn't make a good assistant coach. Probably a good thing I didn't pursue my initial career choice.
December 6, 200916 yr Man your seriously missing the point. This isn't about how me or you think because believe it or not I actually have the same beliefs as you when it comes to stuff like that. Discarding me being under the age of ten, I have never asked for an autograph or would never want an autograph regardless of who its from. I understand that celebrities are people too and I don't idolize them. Many of my favorite people you would call celebrities are the ones that would be down to earth and that I would have loved or would love to get the chance to hang out with. But okay here's where I have been trying to get at, you ready...... It's not about how I feel about things. It's not about how you feel about things. It's about the way society as a whole thinks about things, and in sub context the way high school basketball prospects view things. Believe it or not Shoe, even though you may not feel that way, or even though some other people may not feel that way, celebrity idolization is big business. You have shows, magazines, websites, etc. dedicated strictly to bring people news on celebrities. Even in sports. Sports Center to an extent does its job to help hype the biggest names in sports, its just what sales to "people" (like I said "people", not you, not me, but "people"). So whether you want to think so or not (just because you, I or some other random joe may not care or idolize) Lebron coming to a Kentucky game would be a big deal to a lot of people, especially recruits, and those in charge of putting Kentucky in a national spotlight. I realize how society looks at things, thus I realize how big of a deal it would have been. Not because I would want to run up and shake his hand, freak out, and get an autograph, but just because of the significance it would hold due to the way society as a whole in general would view it. So like I said whether you feel that way or not Shoe, you cannot look at the whole world and expect every single person that makes up society to have the same views as you do in popular culture. It is in this aspect you have to at least respect the views of popular culture and realize the outcome it possesses on certain things, whether you personally agree or not. Like I have said for like the fourth time now. If you don't think this would be a big deal (not to you as a person, but sporting world pop culture society) then you are living in your own fantasy world and are oblivious to the thoughts of an outside society. Again its not about how you feel, its not about how I feel. Lord knows in a situation like this it doesn't matter. What does matter is how the majority of people would view this, and the majority of people are star chasers, and would say it is a HUGE deal. Thus it is a big deal. That doesn't change the fact that because of its history and tradition UK should be above needing gimmicks like this to attract recruits. In fact, UK should be able to say to LeBron, "We don't want you coming here, because we're UK and we don't need you." As fans, you should be saying the same thing.
December 6, 200916 yr Kentucky shouldn't need LeBron James to help it recruit. If it does, that's pretty sad. For many, Lebron James is the best NBA player & is the face of the NBA (along with a few other professional players). Whether you're willing to admit it or not, a significant portion of society (particularly the basketball world) looks up to Lebron James. He's got the skill, charisma, money, clothes, shoes, blah blah blah. Him being there would have been icing on the cake to show that Kentucky is back on the map, and to show the magnitude of the two programs who were battling it out on the court. Is it necessary as a recruiting tool? Absolutely not. But it can't hurt. These kids want to get to the next level. Who better to teach them what's necessary than Jebron Lames?
December 6, 200916 yr That doesn't change the fact that because of its history and tradition UK should be above needing gimmicks like this to attract recruits. In fact, UK should be able to say to LeBron, "We don't want you coming here, because we're UK and we don't need you." As fans, you should be saying the same thing. Strange. I thought today's recruits didn't care about Kentucky's history and tradition and that's why they had been "down" for so long?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.