• Chris Harrison Tollesboro
    • Ronnie Lyons Mason Co
    • Deron Feldhaus Mason Co
    • George Cooke Maysville
    • Warren Cooper Bracken Co.
    • Shawn Myrick Mason Co.
    • James Smith Maysville
    • other?

Since I'm kinda new old school I'll throw you a couple more names that should be on the list.....at least as honorable mentions......Jerry Fogle had a great career at Harrison Co. and Timmy Myrick played in four 10th region finals and won three of them.........Not too shabby.......Anyway, my vote is for C-Lo...Refused to lose period.......Although, it's hard to vote against a guy who just got voted into the UK Hall of Fame.....Deron Feldhaus......

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be very tempted to nominate former Clark County great, Linville Puckett, who played for legendary coach, Letcher Norton, and. later, for The Baron at UK. However, when Puckett played, the Cardinals were a part of the old 16th Region so I guess he doesn't count. Nonetheless, it is good to remember some of these great players from the past and also to remember the days when the 16th Region was a top notch region.

Never said dunking was important, and believe me I know it doesn't make you a good player but he was very intimidating. Remember Lofton is the best I've seen but Williams could take you out of the game in the first minute of warmups.

....granted weak players and teams can be intimidated, but he didn't intimiditate the good players or good teams in warmups.

• 2 weeks later...

There were many names that wasn't included on that list. One player, Talbert Turner, who played at Pendleton Co. in the early 80's for Woody Crum and Mike Appleman would be one of the best ever. He was a hard-nosed, no-nonsense, tough, all-around player. He was a tremendous shooter, great ball-handler, and hustler. He could do things with his body that were spectacular. He had such a gift of getting to the basket and being able to deliver. He scored over 3300 points while playing at PCHS, w/out a 3 point line. He then went to Morehead State University where he played for 4 seasons.

....granted weak players and teams can be intimidated, but he didn't intimiditate the good players or good teams in warmups.

We were one of the best in the 9th, he didn't intimidate us but he did catch our attention. The 9th didn't have many dunkers back in the late 80's/ early '90's.

The way the question is worded I would have to choose a player from our school - little old MMI!

Tom Boerwinkle went on to play at Tennessee and then into the NBA for 12 years with the Chicago Bulls.

If it was the best player while IN the 10th Region, I may have to agree with Lofton.

DAVE

Thank you Dave! That's who I was going to say.

My Dad played against Boewinkle and is always bragging that he held him to 28 points one night!! :lol: He said he was simply a beast in the paint and was a man among boys.

• 2 months later...

Chris Lofton was and still is unreal. The Cats were stupid for not picking him up. Tubby missed out big time. Not big enough he said. If he drops 20 a game in college at UT than just think what he could have done for a good team. I tried to gaurd the guy. He drained shot after shot over me from 2, 5, 10 feet behind the line like they were 3 foot jumpers. Chris Lofton is the best 10th region player ever and there may never be another that will even come close.

The 1st name that came to my mind was Ronnie Lyons, however, based upon pure accomplishments I would have to give my vote to Chris Lofton. One of purest b-ball players that I have ever seen come from the 10th. My sentiments as well, Tubby blew this one, he should be in Lex. and not Knoxville.