Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

McCreary Central's Gay Resigns

Featured Replies

No surprise.

 

McCreary Central's Clinton Gay has resigned as head coach of the Raiders after the most successful year in school history going 7-4.

 

After taking over four years ago, the Raiders matched their best year going 5-5 in Gays return. The next two years the record wasn't as good, but they qualified for postseason both years, though being 3-8. This past season, the Raiders went 7-4 with a postseason loss to Lawrence County.

 

The administration plans to have someone in place by spring football.

  • Replies 51
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any reason for his resigning? Is this a resignation or a retirement?

  • Author
Any reason for his resigning? Is this a resignation or a retirement?

 

Probably more of a retirement, but it is stated as a resignation.

 

I think it was obvious that he would get out while the program was on it's high. Watts and Roark are gone after this year, so it was imminent.

I hate that he's done...he and his staff seemed like pretty good guys. Any prospects as to who is going to be stepping into the big shoes? HOP?

I hate that he's done...he and his staff seemed like pretty good guys. Any prospects as to who is going to be stepping into the big shoes? HOP?

 

I think Coach Gay would like to see one of his Assistants get the job. James Payne or Mark Jones either would make a good Head Coach. This being McCreary County anything is possible. :banana:Good Luck to the Raiders, this Coaching Staff has been wonderful. The Team has been fun to Watch the past 4 years. Hope whomever they hire will keep things moving FWD.

They need to stay with one of his asst. coaches. If they don't, the program will go backward again. It is time for the powers that be in McCreary to reward people who have worked hard to make the program better, instead of repeating the mistakes they have made in the past. Here though, I am afraid the good ol' boy system will prevail once more. :irked: Enjoy your retirement, Coach Gay, and thank you for your hard work. :thumb:

Edited by Birdsfan

They need to stay with one of his asst. coaches,if they don't the program will go backward again.It is time for the powers that be in McCreary to reward people who have worked hard to make the program better,instead of repeating the mistakes they have made in the past.Here though i am afraid the good ole boy system will prevail once more.:irked:Enjoy your retirement Coach Gay,and thank you for your hard work.:thumb:

 

Hear! Hear! I have to agree with all you have said. Should give it to one of Gay's Asst. coaches. Then the program would move fwd. This has to be the best staff McCreary has ever had. Bring someone else in and the staff will split in all directions. :D

Edited by Birdsfan

I think Coach Gay would like to see one of his Assistants get the job. James Payne or Mark Jones either would make a good Head Coach. This being McCreary County anything is possible. :banana:Good Luck to the Raiders, this Coaching Staff has been wonderful. The Team has been fun to Watch the past 4 years. Hope whomever they hire will keep things moving FWD.

 

Yeah...ol' Payne seems like a pretty good guy and talks like he knows what he's doing....I'd say that it would create some continuance with the program. I hope that he gets the job! I don't know the Jones fellow as well. Good luck to you guys in your decision.:ylsuper:

Yeah...ol' Payne seems like a pretty good guy and talks like he knows what he's doing....I'd say that it would create some continuance with the program. I hope that he gets the job! I don't know the Jones fellow as well. Good luck to you guys in your decision.:ylsuper:

 

I agree Coach Payne has payed his dues and deserves a Chance. I think if he got the job all Asst. Coaches would stay in the program. I think if they bring someone in with no Head Coaching Exp. most of the Staff will ride off into the Sun-set. That is the rumors flying around, it will be a person with no Head Coaching Exp.:walk:

I hate that he's done...he and his staff seemed like pretty good guys. Any prospects as to who is going to be stepping into the big shoes? HOP?

 

:thumb:He did a great good luck in the future.

I agree Coach Payne has payed his dues and deserves a Chance. I think if he got the job all Asst. Coaches would stay in the program. I think if they bring someone in with no Head Coaching Exp. most of the Staff will ride off into the Sun-set. That is the rumors flying around, it will be a person with no Head Coaching Exp.:walk:

 

Has any of the Asst. Coaches had any head coaching Exp. I don't think so , but I could be wrong. So your saying to bring someone in.

I can't believe Gay resigned, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Probably more of a retirement, but it is stated as a resignation.

 

I think it was obvious that he would get out while the program was on it's high. Watts and Roark are gone after this year, so it was imminent.

 

How long has he been coaching for?

How long has he been coaching for?

 

Mike Fields did an article in last friday's Lex. Herald. It stated that Gay had been Coaching 30 years. Head Coach in 5 sports at 5 different High Schools.:dancingpa

Has any of the Asst. Coaches had any head coaching Exp. I don't think so , but I could be wrong. So your saying to bring someone in.

 

I think Justin Bozman has head Coaching Exp. Jamie Payne has been Coaching a long time, no Head Coaching Exp. Mark Jones has worked under two different Head Coaches, no Head Coaching Exp. Matt Stiltner has coached a long time in Tenn. no Head Coaching exp. I think I know where you want to Go. Why not Come out and say who you think should have the job.:deadhorse:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.