Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

3A Powell County/Garrard County Predictions

Who Wins this Playoff Game? 21 members have voted

  1. 1. Who Wins this Playoff Game?

    • Garrard County (H)
      95%
    • Powell County (A)
      4%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

The Class 3A playoffs begin this weekend with the Powell County Pirates making their first ever trip to Lancaster to face the Garrard County Golden Lions. Garrard County gained the second seed and a home playoff game by virtue of winning a three-way tiebreaker over Taylor County and Wayne County. Powell County finished third in a four team district, ahead of Magoffin County, but behind both Breathitt County and Estill County.

 

Garrard County has been a hard to team to judge this season. The Lions finished 4-6, scoring 25 ppg while allowing almost 28 ppg. Garrard lost on missed extra points against West Jessamine and Estill County, by a touchdown to Lincoln County, and by two scores to both Somerset and Taylor County. So it's realistic that this Lions team could have finished 8-2; at the same time Garrard beat Rowan County by outscoring them before the clock expired, beat Wayne County when the quarterback slipped on an apparent touchdown, and stopped Casey County on a two-point conversion.

 

Powell County finished the regular season at 2-8, winning games against Jackson County (23-0) and Magoffin County (49-48, overtime). Offense hasn't been a problem for the Pirates, averaging 24 ppg. The defense has struggled, allowing 38 ppg and 42 ppg if you eliminate the season-opening shutout of Jackson County.

 

These two teams have never played but there were three common opponents this season. Powell County played two teams from District 5 while Garrard County played one team from District 6.

 

-Both teams defeated Jackson County (GC 56-24; PC 23-0)

-Both teams lost to Estill County (GC 42-41; PC 42-28)

-Garrard County defeated Casey County (28-26), while Powell County lost to Casey County (34-27)

 

Garrard County will be making their 17th overall trip to the playoffs and 7th in a row. This will be the first home playoff game for Garrard County since defeating Louisville Western in 2004. The Lions will be looking to win their first playoff game since beating Wayne County in the first round in 2007.

 

Powell County is making their 5th trip to the playoffs, and are on the road for the fifth consecutive time. Powell has traditionally been a low seed and have often been faced with a difficult first round challenge. The Pirates have lost their four previous appearances by an average score of 50-13 against Newport, Prestonsburg (twice), and Taylor County.

 

The winner of this game will meet the winner between Breathitt County and Wayne County. If the winner is Breathitt, either Garrard or Powell would travel to Jackson. If the winner were to be Wayne, either Garrard or Powell would play host in the second round. Somerset/Magoffin County and Estill County/Taylor County make up the opposite side of the Region III bracket.

Garrard will need to stop Derek Taulbee who had around 1,000 yards rushing and 10 TDs for the season. Powell also has 4 other players at or above 200 yards rushing on the season.

 

Powell will need to stop the 3 primary rushers for Garrard in Ray, Hayes and Wilson.

 

Make no mistake, this will be a run oriented game with neither team showing a great propensity for the passing game. Garrard has shown more proficiency with the pass, but both are ground based offensive squads.

 

I will pick Garrard in that the Golden Lions have wanted to host a playoff game and get their wish on Friday.

 

Garrard 24

Powell 14

GC 24 PC 7

Look for the Lions to have a break out game! Coach Scenters will have the team ready to play. Don't be surprised if this is the week that quiets the "naysayers"!

 

To see all the negative comments in the Garrard/Lincoln thread about Coach, the staff and team in general is disappointing at best! I know there are MANY teams across the state that would love to be in the position of hosting a playoff game. Let's all get together and pull for the TEAM and COACHING STAFF!

Look for the Lions to have a break out game! Coach Scenters will have the team ready to play. Don't be surprised if this is the week that quiets the "naysayers"!

 

To see all the negative comments in the Garrard/Lincoln thread about Coach, the staff and team in general is disappointing at best! I know there are MANY teams across the state that would love to be in the position of hosting a playoff game. Let's all get together and pull for the TEAM and COACHING STAFF!

 

AMEN!!! PREACH ON!!!

 

Like I have said before, ... I would let my son play for Coach Scenters anyday of the week and twice on Saturdays! (My kids have never been big enough to play on Sunday's, so we'll stick with that analogy!)

 

:thumb:

  • Author
Look for the Lions to have a break out game! Coach Scenters will have the team ready to play. Don't be surprised if this is the week that quiets the "naysayers"!

 

To see all the negative comments in the Garrard/Lincoln thread about Coach, the staff and team in general is disappointing at best! I know there are MANY teams across the state that would love to be in the position of hosting a playoff game. Let's all get together and pull for the TEAM and COACHING STAFF!

 

UnderPar, long time no see! Very well put. I think hosting a playoff game is a big thing for the young Lions this year. Hopefully they'll get a win and be off to Breathitt County, where they played really well in defeat last season.

I guess gchs uk9 , has Breathitt winning even before the game is played with Wayne. :madman:

  • Author
I guess gchs uk9 , has Breathitt winning even before the game is played with Wayne. :madman:

 

I'm assuming Breathitt will beat Wayne.

 

If Garrard beats Powell and if Breathitt beats Wayne, then Garrard would go to Breathitt.

Look for the Lions to have a break out game! Coach Scenters will have the team ready to play. Don't be surprised if this is the week that quiets the "naysayers"!

 

To see all the negative comments in the Garrard/Lincoln thread about Coach, the staff and team in general is disappointing at best! I know there are MANY teams across the state that would love to be in the position of hosting a playoff game. Let's all get together and pull for the TEAM and COACHING STAFF!

 

My comments have never been negative to any of the kids on the team, but they have questioned the play calling on offense. I have only been to a few games, but it is obvious that they haven't used their best offensive player enough this year to win games. Sure they are hosting a playoff game and they should have this year based on the teams in their district. The overall record (4-6) is really embarrassing based on their schedule.

I'm assuming Breathitt will beat Wayne.

 

If Garrard beats Powell and if Breathitt beats Wayne, then Garrard would go to Breathitt.

 

Never assume nothing , it's the playoffs. That being said good luck to everyone in District 5.

Good luck to Garrard County. Personally, I think Scenters has done a good job so far at GC, and will continue to grow the program.

My comments have never been negative to any of the kids on the team, but they have questioned the play calling on offense. I have only been to a few games, but it is obvious that they haven't used their best offensive player enough this year to win games. Sure they are hosting a playoff game and they should have this year based on the teams in their district. The overall record (4-6) is really embarrassing based on their schedule.

 

Embarrassing? Not even remotely IMHO, .. and I am not from Garrard County. They did have a few games that I feel they should have won but other than that, they have been okay. Heck, nearly every team I cheered for let games get away that I think they should have won. This year they are hosting a playoff game but last year they didn't. Are the same teams in their district or did they change districts?

 

Were they going to beat a top 10 team from 5A in Anderson County? Nobody has beaten Somerset this season.

 

As far as being negative, you haven't said anything directly negative about the kids. But you have used terms that could be construed only as being negative in this thread and the other. "Embarrassing, ... what a joke, ... the COACH or one of the coaches has something personal against their best offensive player, ... At least your coach uses the talent that he has on the team. Unlike your neighboring county, .... etc".

 

Disagreeing with the playcalling is one thing, and at times, I have disagreed with some of the playcalling. However, you have taken personal shots at the coach(es) and made accusations on at least 2 threads. If you are that frustrated, then don't go to the games OR apply for the job yourself. Just my 2 cents.

Garrard Co. 30-6.

Embarrassing? Not even remotely IMHO, .. and I am not from Garrard County. They did have a few games that I feel they should have won but other than that, they have been okay. Heck, nearly every team I cheered for let games get away that I think they should have won. This year they are hosting a playoff game but last year they didn't. Are the same teams in their district or did they change districts?

 

Were they going to beat a top 10 team from 5A in Anderson County? Nobody has beaten Somerset this season.

 

As far as being negative, you haven't said anything directly negative about the kids. But you have used terms that could be construed only as being negative in this thread and the other. "Embarrassing, ... what a joke, ... the COACH or one of the coaches has something personal against their best offensive player, ... At least your coach uses the talent that he has on the team. Unlike your neighboring county, .... etc".

 

Disagreeing with the playcalling is one thing, and at times, I have disagreed with some of the playcalling. However, you have taken personal shots at the coach(es) and made accusations on at least 2 threads. If you are that frustrated, then don't go to the games OR apply for the job yourself. Just my 2 cents.

 

I have been negative towards the coaching staff because I think the play calling has been bad this year. It is nothing personal. It is just facts. If you are going to win you have to call plays to get YOUR best player involved. He shouldn't been standing on the sideline on 3rd and 10 or running plays in and out!!!!!!

 

I have no dog in this fight. I just call it like I see it. Also, I never said Garrard should beat Anderson or Somerset, but they SHOULD have won the other games!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.