Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Track The Reds - 2nd Half - Week 9

Featured Replies

Juan Francisco for the month batted .381 (45-118) in 29 games split between Double-A Carolina and Triple-A Louisville (24r, 10 2B, 8hr, 27rbi, .400obp%)

 

He was promoted to the Bats on 8/15 where he’s batting .359 with 5 HR and 19 RBI in 22 games…

 

There is a lot of young talent in this organization...

  • Replies 52
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

From John Fay's Blog: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

 

Bailey has had four excellent starts in a row — 3-0, 1.67 ERA. Yesterday, three of the five hits he gave up were infield hits — two came on plays that should been made.

 

Cueto has a 1.64 ERA in his two starts back from the DL. He’s struck out 14 and walked three in 11 innings.

They are pitching much better but they must cut down on the walks. Every rally but the opposing team seems to have a walk to start the inning or really contributes to them scoring runs. Fewer walks will make Bailey a 7 to 8 inning pitcher instead of 5 to six but I believe Bailey has figured it out.

  • Author

Paul Janish, over the past month, is hitting .216 with 1 HR. He's 19 - 88. He's had some good games & has played well defensively, but it has become even clearer that he's not the everyday answer at SS.

 

Over the past month, Scott Rolen has hit .328 (19 / 58) with 0 HR & 7 RBI. He's played well defensively. My biggest problem with him has been his baserunning. Last night he was thrown out at 2nd on a double-steal attempt. Top of the 9th, 1 out & 2 guys on. Phillips steals 3rd & Rolen gets thrown out going to 2nd. You simply cannot let that happen.

 

Jonny Gomes, over the past month, has hit .329 with 7 HR & 18 RBI. He's also stolen 2 bags. I think he's solidified his spot on the roster next season. At least I hope. What's his contract status?

 

And Drew Stubbs has hit .264 with 5 HR, 8 RBI & 3 SB while up in the Bigs. His OBP is .297. Nothing outstanding, but better than I had hoped. I think he's the Opening Day Starter next year.

^ I Don't think we will have much of a choice. :lol: I think Gomes will be a FA after this year.

  • Author
^ I Don't think we will have much of a choice. :lol: I think Gomes will be a FA after this year.

 

Hal McCoy wrote a column on this:

 

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/09/04/nice_matchup_friday_night.html

 

I think we signed Gomes to a 2-year deal through 2011, but I'm not positive.

Jonny Gomes of

1 year (2009)

 

* 1 year (2009)

o signed as a free agent by Cincinnati 1/19/09 (minor-league contract, $0.6M in majors)

o contract purchased by Cincinnati 5/22/09

* 1 year/$1.275M (2008)

o re-signed by Tampa Bay 1/17/08 (avoided arbitration)

o $25,000 performance bonus for 500 PAs

o non-tendered by Tampa Bay 12/12/08

* 1 year/$0.4078M (2007), re-signed 2/07

* 1 year/$0.3558M (2006)

* 1 year (2005), re-signed 2/05

* drafted 2002 (8-224)

* $25,000 signing bonus

* ML service: 3.133

  • Author
Jonny Gomes of

1 year (2009)

 

* 1 year (2009)

o signed as a free agent by Cincinnati 1/19/09 (minor-league contract, $0.6M in majors)

o contract purchased by Cincinnati 5/22/09

* 1 year/$1.275M (2008)

o re-signed by Tampa Bay 1/17/08 (avoided arbitration)

o $25,000 performance bonus for 500 PAs

o non-tendered by Tampa Bay 12/12/08

* 1 year/$0.4078M (2007), re-signed 2/07

* 1 year/$0.3558M (2006)

* 1 year (2005), re-signed 2/05

* drafted 2002 (8-224)

* $25,000 signing bonus

* ML service: 3.133

 

Hmmm, guess not. Thanks, I was having a hard time finding anything. Where'd ya find that?

At his current production rate for this year at 600 at bats it would be .284 BA 47 HR 118 RBI 87 Runs

  • Author

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

 

Drew Stubbs 8

Paul Janish 6

Joey Votto 3

Brandon Phillips 4

Scott Rolen 5

Jonny Gomes 7

Wladimir Balentien 9

Craig Tatum 2

Matt Maloney 1

 

vs. RH Jason Marquis (14-10, 3.75)

At his current production rate for this year at 600 at bats it would be .284 BA 47 HR 118 RBI 87 Runs

 

I could live with that.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

 

Jonny Gomes would like to return to the Reds for 2010.

 

“These guys have definitely welcomed me with open arms,” he said. “It wasn’t the start I wanted personally. But they stuck with me and have been 100 percent honest with me.”

 

If the Reds don’t offer Gomes arbitration and try to bring him back as a free agent, it will come down one thing: Playing time.

 

“I’m going to be in the situation I was last offseason,” Gomes said. “It’s a time in your career where you could take the opportunity to play close to home. It’s time in career where you could go for the most money. For me, it’s time in my career where I’m still looking for that opportunity. I’m still looking for gate to gate with 500, 600 at-bats.”

 

Can the Reds offer him that?

 

“I don’t know,” Dusty Baker said. “That’s way down the line.”

 

But Baker has been impressed with Gomes.

 

“He’s done an outstanding job,” Baker said. “I’ve spotted him the best I can. He’s gotten better in his approach. He works hard in the outfield. He still has some shortcomings. That’s why I use him in right and left, depending on the park and the lineup.”

 

If the Reds offer Gomes arbitration, he said he’d accept.

At his current production rate for this year at 600 at bats it would be .284 BA 47 HR 118 RBI 87 Runs

 

I could live with that.

 

He's a useful player but he's not going to come close to those numbers if he has to face righthanders regularly. If the Reds can sign him back to a 1 year deal I'm all for it but it would be a big mistake to sign him to a multi-year deal and depend on him to be an everyday player.

  • Author
He's a useful player but he's not going to come close to those numbers if he has to face righthanders regularly. If the Reds can sign him back to a 1 year deal I'm all for it but it would be a big mistake to sign him to a multi-year deal and depend on him to be an everyday player.

 

Gomes isn't going to get a huge deal, but I'd sign him to a 2 year deal worth $2 mill with a team option for year 2 at $3 mill, or something similar.

 

Gomes has hit .258 against right handers with an OBP of .329. He has 13 HR and 28 RBI against right handed pitchers.

 

He's hit .317 with an OBP of .385 with 5 HR & 17 RBI against lefties.

 

Last year he had a .182 AVG against both righties & lefties...

 

The only year where he's had a solid average against both lefties & righties has been 2005, when he hit .288 against LHP & .279 against RHP.

 

I'd love to see Gomes on the roster next year platooning in the OF and serving as a pinch hitter.

Gomes isn't going to get a huge deal, but I'd sign him to a 2 year deal worth $2 mill with a team option for year 2 at $3 mill, or something similar.

 

Gomes has hit .258 against right handers with an OBP of .329. He has 13 HR and 28 RBI against right handed pitchers.

 

He's hit .317 with an OBP of .385 with 5 HR & 17 RBI against lefties.

 

Last year he had a .182 AVG against both righties & lefties...

 

The only year where he's had a solid average against both lefties & righties has been 2005, when he hit .288 against LHP & .279 against RHP.

 

I'd love to see Gomes on the roster next year platooning in the OF and serving as a pinch hitter.

The Reds may decide that Balentien fills the same role at a lower cost ...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.