Talking to a Legend: Ervin Stepp

One thing I'll say about Stepp shooting alot - does it really matter how much he shot if he hit 60% of his shots?

Why was anyone else on the team even taking a shot if the guy is hitting 60%? Is Mr. Basketball awarded to the best D1 recruit in the state or the player that has the best season? Dicky Beal is one of my favorite players of all time but no way you can say he should have been named Mr. Basketball over Stepp. The numbers were just too silly and I don't care who he was playing against.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had lunch with my buddy and his cousin who lives in West Virginia and was in the area for work. The cousin is in a league and Ervin Stepp is in this league playing and he is still shooting as well as ever. He was guarding him last week and stayed on him the whole game. He said all of the young kids were laughing at how he was guarding him because he smothered him and all he kept telling the young kids is that they have no idea. If they want to win they better not let him breathe. The cousin, Timmy, said he has played Stepp a thousand times and beat him once when Stepp was 40. That's his only victory.

Edited by PurplePride92

Why was anyone else on the team even taking a shot if the guy is hitting 60%? Is Mr. Basketball awarded to the best D1 recruit in the state or the player that has the best season? Dicky Beal is one of my favorite players of all time but no way you can say he should have been named Mr. Basketball over Stepp. The numbers were just too silly and I don't care who he was playing against.

So we should have Blewitt from Latin on the 9th Region 1st team? Dominated NKY in scoring.

Anyone that thinks Ervin was a better baller than Dicky simply doesn't understand b-ball. Dicky was Mr Basketball to everyone besides the voters.

Great player. There was a game a few years ago where the Bulldogs were down 14 in the fourth quarter against Holy Cross. Dickey just about single handedly erased that deficite and won the game for the Bulldogs. Sorry don't remember the year. Also, Melvin Turpin(God rest his soul) and Lex Bryan Station came to Holmes one night ranked #1 in the state. Dicky outjumped big Melvin on a jump ball and the fieldhouse went nuts. Holmes won that night.

I could be wrong, but I always thought if Dicky had gone to DePaul (and they were pretty good back then and were recruiting him pretty well), he'd been a star. He just grew up like many of us dreaming about playing for UK. When the UK scholarship was finally offered, he jumped on it.

Great player. There was a game a few years ago where the Bulldogs were down 14 in the fourth quarter against Holy Cross. Dickey just about single handedly erased that deficite and won the game for the Bulldogs. Sorry don't remember the year. Also, Melvin Turpin(God rest his soul) and Lex Bryan Station came to Holmes one night ranked #1 in the state. Dicky outjumped big Melvin on a jump ball and the fieldhouse went nuts. Holmes won that night.

I could be wrong, but I always thought if Dicky had gone to DePaul (and they were pretty good back then and were recruiting him pretty well), he'd been a star. He just grew up like many of us dreaming about playing for UK. When the UK scholarship was finally offered, he jumped on it.

Didnt he initially commit to DePaul?