June 3, 200917 yr I thought the schools considered diploma mills were prep schools and not actual high schools? If thats the case then Word of God wouldnt be on that list since they are a high school. But I dont know if that is the case or not.Sometimes there is a fine line between the two ...
June 3, 200917 yr My first thought upon hearing that Wall was at Word of God was "Ah, a diploma mill" ... from Googling the situation, it appears that some see Word of God as a place with legitimate academics and some don't.
June 3, 200917 yr You know, I miss the days when recruits came from Central High School or Jefferson High School or City Catholic High School. It seems like many of the top high school recruits these days come from schools with names you wouldn't have heard ten years ago. Ironically enough, diploma mills started springing up at about the same time...:sssh:
June 3, 200917 yr I'd say Word of God Academy is about like most schools that guys like John Wall end up going to. I'm sure it isn't the best education by any means.
June 3, 200917 yr Word of God has only been around for about fifteen years or so, and to date Wall is by far the biggest and most high profile name to come out of there. The alumni from Word of God is not to glamorous or star filled, so I can't see how your calling it a diploma mill. If so it must be more like an assembly line since like I said it has only been around for about fifteen years.
June 3, 200917 yr So, is this place still considered a "diploma mill" by the NCAA? What kind of schooling was this Wall kid actually getting there? Do you really care about "what kind of schooling this Wall kid is actually getting"? Or is it just a question that you know will not be popular with most of the UK fan base? What about the "schooling" of Hood or Cousins? Do we honestly think all High Schools are on the same level? I was FAR from a future pro player, but I remember my Sr year schedule had me in the gymnasium for about 5 hrs a day. Fortunately for my school district, I wasn't a UK recruit I guess.
June 3, 200917 yr Author Word of God has only been around for about fifteen years or so, and to date Wall is by far the biggest and most high profile name to come out of there. The alumni from Word of God is not to glamorous or star filled, so I can't see how your calling it a diploma mill. If so it must be more like an assembly line since like I said it has only been around for about fifteen years. NCAA's term, not mine. That's why I put it in quotes.
June 3, 200917 yr So, is this place still considered a "diploma mill" by the NCAA? What kind of schooling was this Wall kid actually getting there? Do high school athletes even attend class is my question. I personally don't care if they can spell their name if they can play basketball as good as Wall, and they can somehow make it appear that he qualified and not get the University in trouble.
June 3, 200917 yr Author Do you really care about "what kind of schooling this Wall kid is actually getting"? Or is it just a question that you know will not be popular with most of the UK fan base? What about the "schooling" of Hood or Cousins? Do we honestly think all High Schools are on the same level? I was FAR from a future pro player, but I remember my Sr year schedule had me in the gymnasium for about 5 hrs a day. Fortunately for my school district, I wasn't a UK recruit I guess. As a college basketball fan, yes, I do care. I'm curious to know if these kids will even bother attending any classes when they get to UK, knowing that they're just biding their time for one year. You guys need to quit being so offended when I ask legitimate questions you don't like.
June 3, 200917 yr Author Do high school athletes even attend class is my question. I personally don't care if they can spell their name if they can play basketball as good as Wall, and they can somehow make it appear that he qualified and not get the University in trouble. A line from a movie has always stuck out in my head regarding superstar HS athletes. Think "Fast Times At Ridgemont High," where the Jefferson character (Forrest Whitaker) is fuming while looking at the damage done to his car (a hot Firebird purchased by a booster) by his brother and Spicoli — made to look like it was done by the upcoming football opponent. One of the other students asked about Jefferson, "I thought they just flew him in for games." For many top-flite HS athletes, a lot of corners are cut to keep them eligible for HS and college play. Oftentimes, academics aren't a concern for those who are obvious future pros. For most major college programs, there has to be a concern when taking on athletes of this stature/ability as to what kind of student they will be. Otherwise, you end up with clowns like Derrick Caracter on your team.
June 3, 200917 yr As a college basketball fan, yes, I do care. I'm curious to know if these kids will even bother attending any classes when they get to UK, knowing that they're just biding their time for one year. You guys need to quit being so offended when I ask legitimate questions you don't like. Who said I didn't like it? I think it a great question. I was just wondering why you asked it. I came to the conclusion a while back that the term Student-Athlete is ridiculous in MOST cases. I certainly agree that things need to change. Who is to blame though? The coaches of these institutions? They make millions and get a 50K bonus for graduation rates...c'mon. Have you ever been in sales...where is the money made??? Then that is what i'll focus on. It is a cultural problem and one that is driven literally by us, the fans. It is cliche, but when 23K people show up for a debate at UK or 107K show up for a drama presentation in Knoxville then it will all be level. We've created it and now we hate that aspect. How do we change it?
June 3, 200917 yr Author Who said I didn't like it? I think it a great question. I was just wondering why you asked it. I came to the conclusion a while back that the term Student-Athlete is ridiculous in MOST cases. I certainly agree that things need to change. Who is to blame though? The coaches of these institutions? They make millions and get a 50K bonus for graduation rates...c'mon. Have you ever been in sales...where is the money made??? Then that is what i'll focus on. It is a cultural problem and one that is driven literally by us, the fans. It is cliche, but when 23K people show up for a debate at UK or 107K show up for a drama presentation in Knoxville then it will all be level. We've created it and now we hate that aspect. How do we change it? Well, the obvious way would be if the NBA had a functioning minor league the same way MLB does. The problem is, however, that it would gut college basketball's talent pool, and would run the risk of reducing it to the status and talent quality of college baseball.
June 3, 200917 yr Well, the obvious way would be if the NBA had a functioning minor league the same way MLB does. The problem is, however, that it would gut college basketball's talent pool, and would run the risk of reducing it to the status and talent quality of college baseball. I think if the NBA didn't have the 1 year removed from HS rule it would help. Yeah, you still will have kids that think they are 2 years away...or 3 years away and not taking college seriously, but you also have everday students that don't take it seriously too. At least at this point, the coaches and University have some control over the situation. I understand the rule from an NBA perspective, but it really hurst college BB imo. I'm in my mid 30's and i've loved college basketball for as long as I have memories...I was thinking about my favorite college players of all time and I can only come up with 2 players that I loved watching and have fond memories of that stayed 2 years or less...Rex Chapman and Kenny Anderson. I still love the game, but it lacks many of the things that made me fall in love with it to begin with.
June 3, 200917 yr Well, the obvious way would be if the NBA had a functioning minor league the same way MLB does. The problem is, however, that it would gut college basketball's talent pool, and would run the risk of reducing it to the status and talent quality of college baseball. You know what though...if it reduces the talent, it reduces the talent. We always say in college we root for the name on the front of the jersey anyway right? I'm all for it. As much as I hate the ending, I'll watch UK-Duke from 92any time over an NBA game with more talented players. For that matter, UK-Duke 98...how many "legit pros" played in either of those games? Mashburn...G. Hill... I'll take that scenari.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.