June 4, 200917 yr Of course he has. When the rules don't fall in favor of people, they appeal the rule. Why even have rules. Do away with rules, and just have a "permission board" "Can I play at Morehead next year?" "Well, of course you can because we have no rules." The kid basically wanted to remain a walk-on and sit at the end of the bench and the coach said no thanks. If you had a kid in this type of situation, you would not encourage them to appeal?
June 4, 200917 yr Rules are rules. He knew going in that he would be a walk-on. Anyone with any sense knows that different coaches treat the walk-on status in different ways. BCG liked to have a bunch. John Calipari does not. If he were a scholarship player, maybe I could see where he would have a case. But not a walk-on. Seriously, how many walk-ons stay on the team when a new coach takes over? If they do, they are upgraded to scholarship status like Cameron Mills.
June 4, 200917 yr Rules are rules. He knew going in that he would be a walk-on. Anyone with any sense knows that different coaches treat the walk-on status in different ways. BCG liked to have a bunch. John Calipari does not. If he were a scholarship player, maybe I could see where he would have a case. But not a walk-on. Seriously, how many walk-ons stay on the team when a new coach takes over? If they do, they are upgraded to scholarship status like Cameron Mills. I suppose I'm not seeing the difference when it comes to a player who wants to play somewhere else. In the NCAA's eyes, he is a player with eligibility just like a scholarship player is. The clock ticks on him just like anyone else who saw the floor. I guess I can't agree with your angle.
June 5, 200917 yr Rules are rules. He knew going in that he would be a walk-on. Anyone with any sense knows that different coaches treat the walk-on status in different ways. BCG liked to have a bunch. John Calipari does not. If he were a scholarship player, maybe I could see where he would have a case. But not a walk-on. Seriously, how many walk-ons stay on the team when a new coach takes over? If they do, they are upgraded to scholarship status like Cameron Mills. Seems right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 5, 200917 yr So because he was a walk on, some of you think he doesn't get the same options to appeal as a kid on a scholly? That makes absolutely no sense. In fact, considering that he's essentially paying his own way, I would suggest he would be all the more deserving to transfer. If I'm not mistaken, when you transfer you're ineligible by rule. That is why the appellate process is available. To say that the financial status (scholarship or non) of a kid in college should have bearing on whether he should be able to appeal for an immediate waiver to be eligible just doesn't seem to have any logic to it IMO.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.