Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands Baseball

Featured Replies

Now that the baseball season is winding down I was curious to know what the thoughts were out there regarding Highlands baseball program. I feel that the hiring of Baioni was a big step in the right direction, but the team has struggled getting wins again this year with a roster that is very senior dominated.

 

What still needs to be done to get this program among the elite in N.Ky.?

 

Who are some of the up and coming prospects in the program?

 

I know that there have been some very successful youth teams from the Ft. Thomas area the last several years (Muddogs, Hosea and Valvoline), but it just does not seem to translate in wins for the varsity program. Why?

  • Replies 36
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've seen there is not enough talent to compete with the top programs. You need more than Sainola on the mound. You need some more hitting. You need more baseball knowledge. I like the style of game the coach has implemented but you still need the Jimmy and Joes.

  • Author

Are the Jimmy's and Joe's not there or just not playing baseball? The Hosea team should now be soph's I believe, where are they? The Valvoline team should now be 8th or 9th graders I believe, are any of them playing? I know that things would be helped immensely if there was a frosh baseball team because more kids would be exposed to Jeremy's methods at a younger age. Hopefully this is something that can be done in the next several years because I know there are some boys at or nearing middle school age that have been pretty successful baseball teams as well.

Are the Jimmy's and Joe's not there or just not playing baseball? The Hosea team should now be soph's I believe, where are they? The Valvoline team should now be 8th or 9th graders I believe, are any of them playing? I know that things would be helped immensely if there was a frosh baseball team because more kids would be exposed to Jeremy's methods at a younger age. Hopefully this is something that can be done in the next several years because I know there are some boys at or nearing middle school age that have been pretty successful baseball teams as well.

 

Not having a freshman team is a big deal.

 

I believe the current soph and frosh class have some talent. Not varsity ready though.

 

Football commitments will always be a problem for the multi-sport athlete.

Now that the baseball season is winding down I was curious to know what the thoughts were out there regarding Highlands baseball program. I feel that the hiring of Baioni was a big step in the right direction, but the team has struggled getting wins again this year with a roster that is very senior dominated.

 

What still needs to be done to get this program among the elite in N.Ky.?

 

Who are some of the up and coming prospects in the program?

 

I know that there have been some very successful youth teams from the Ft. Thomas area the last several years (Muddogs, Hosea and Valvoline), but it just does not seem to translate in wins for the varsity program. Why?

 

Football will always be king and that spring break trip is a deal breaker.

Edited by rockmom
fix quote

>Not having a freshman team is a big deal. I believe the current soph and frosh class >have some talent. Not varsity ready though. Football commitments will always be a >problem for the multi-sport athlete.

 

Would love to see a Freshman program at Highlands, I think that is the key!

I have talked to someone in the know and they basically told me that the better players need to start playing at a more competitive level. Playing D1 Knothole or regular Knothole is not going to cut it. If parents and kids keep refusing to play at the highest level than Highlands baseball is going to struggle for a long time to come.

Edited by raiderbird

I think a frosh team will help. I have been very fortunate to know Jeremy for a long time and trust me he will inject enthusiasm into the baseball program. He will not accept average and he will continue to build the program. He is JB "Johnny Baseball". Perhaps the season has been a little disappointing in the number of wins; but with the good district draw who knows. One of his best traits is he enjoys the game; will not fault the kids, and teach the fundamentals. In time the kids will play with his passion for the game and one day "Be Exceptional". We strongly would encourage those boys from area knothole teams to come out! At times, I too can be over the top and want to see a quick reward, but Jeremy has a plan and sometimes it can't happen overnight even with a senior dominated team. Get the kids early and develop them. I think the program is headed in the right direction.

>Not having a freshman team is a big deal. I believe the current soph and frosh class >have some talent. Not varsity ready though. Football commitments will always be a >problem for the multi-sport athlete.

 

Would love to see a Freshman program at Highlands, I think that is the key!

 

Do you think if Highlands put on a freshman team the kids that need to be on it will be rather than go with the football program. I think it will more than likely be mostly kids that don't play football. Nothing wrong with that but most really good athletes at Highlands are going to play football. With some exceptions (Sam Liget, Chris Rizzo) that come to mind.

Football will always be king and that spring break trip is a deal breaker.

 

Yes football will always be king, but that's not a reason to not have a good baseball program. Working out is working out. As long as the kids are lifting, running, plyometrics, etc, I don't think it matters if they're doing it with the football team or baseball team. Granted, footballers will want to add some mass that may slightly hurt their baseball performance, but NKY is littered with kids who excel at both (Isler at CC, Brake at Conner). Now, missing summer baseball because of football commitments, I can see how that could hurt some. Maybe someone else can elaborate more.

 

And for spring break, I say if the kid doesn't want to stay and play ball, then he doesn't love the sport enough to go 100% when he's there anyway. I try to impress on my kids all the time that you have to make sure to grasp those things in life that are important to you when they're available. They'll have the rest of their lives to lounge on the beach in Florida, but they will NOT have the rest of their lives to play competitive baseball. Go on spring break while you're in college. Play baseball now.:irked:

 

Freshman ball - that can only help, especially given that such a small number of Ft. T kids play in the SWOL, where 90% of the Ryle, Conner, Boone County & Cov Cath kids grow up playing. Maybe it's already in the works, but someone really needs to spearhead an effort to make a freshman team happen next year.

ft bronc well said:clap: Heck I love vacations but let's not blame it on spring break. Build a program make it fun to come out and watch a game. Let's not fool ourselves, we live in the Midwest where baseball season has to deal with the rains! Thank goodness for the field improvements at Highland Park. Sure football is king but I think if the sport is fun, the kids will come out. Certainly not everybody, but I wouldn't be surprised if more multi-sport athletes have an interest.

I have talked to someone in the know and they basically told me that the better players need to start playing at a more competitive level. Playing D1 Knothole or regular Knothole is not going to cut it. If parents and kids keep refusing to play at the higest level than Highlands baseball is going to struggle for a long time to come.

 

In my opinion, this is 99.9% true. I can tell you from personal experience, that the SWOL is a whole other world compared to Knothole. It's not that the kids are more naturally athletic than the kids playing Knothole in Ft. Thomas, the game is just played at a much higher level in the SWOL - similar to how football at Highlands is played at a higher level than at other area schools. The kids that are playing SWOL right now, are the same kids who'll be playing against Highlands in a few years, and the level of experience they'll have will be greater than the kids who have only played Knothole. There's just no way around it. Unless you're a super-star style athlete, if you've only played Knothole you can't expect to step in & hit top-level pitching with the same consistency as those who've been facing it for the last 2 or 3 seasons.

Baseball will never be where it should be because of Football. Its sad to say but is true. And the whole spring break thing is stupid. Were the only school in NKY thats has this problem. The Love for baseball just isnt where it needs to be at Highlands.

In my opinion, this is 99.9% true. I can tell you from personal experience, that the SWOL is a whole other world compared to Knothole. It's not that the kids are more naturally athletic than the kids playing Knothole in Ft. Thomas, the game is just played at a much higher level in the SWOL - similar to how football at Highlands is played at a higher level than at other area schools. The kids that are playing SWOL right now, are the same kids who'll be playing against Highlands in a few years, and the level of experience they'll have will be greater than the kids who have only played Knothole. There's just no way around it. Unless you're a super-star style athlete, if you've only played Knothole you can't expect to step in & hit top-level pitching with the same consistency as those who've been facing it for the last 2 or 3 seasons.

 

No player from the 9th region has gone on to play at any level of collegiate baseball in the past few years that didn't play SWOL.

JJ good point. It is not the talent of the kid at the young age....it is learning to play at the higher level that develops the player.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.