April 21, 200917 yr Where do you suggest the Nationals hit him? With an OBP% like that, I'd lead him off.
April 21, 200917 yr Dunn is also playing 1st base for the Nats. Dunn has also played RF, I think. The Nats have been very impressed with Dunn's willingness to play multiple positions.
April 21, 200917 yr I just think it would be very misleading to compare stats. Was this another one of your typo's? :eyeonyou: What do you suggest comparing? The numbers don't lie...
April 21, 200917 yr Was this another one of your typo's? :eyeonyou: What do you suggest comparing? The numbers don't lie... No typo at all. If you noticed I even said that Dunn will put up better numbers, but nice try. However what I said is its misleading to compare stats and assume if you switch them and put Dunn back in LF, that the Reds would be better off. I have already named some of the reasons why you can't just put those numbers in and assume the reds will be better. You put Dunn in a lineup that is more based on players that are aggresive, and you will take that away. Its only natural when you know Dunn is coming up a manager is not going to take a chance to steal a guy and run them out of the inning when Dunn is coming up when he could hit a homerun. Right now the team though is not afraid to run and put that guy in scoring position. So this team right now could get a guy in scoring position and just need a single to get a run, instead of a homerun. I mean if you put Dunn in this lineup, its still not going to make this some kind of great lineup. All it would do is take away the aggesiveness from this lineup. You can't just assume that having him here would make this team score more runs. Everything would change with him in the lineup, and on defense. As I said their have probably already been plays by our leftfielders now that they have just made look routine. But with Dunn there he might not have even came close to a few of them, and would have a double and could lead to more runs for the other team. This whole team would change if he was here, so people shouldn't just assume if he was here that it would be for the better of the team. Maybe they could be better, but also the possibility that they as a team could be worse if he was still here. Not to mention another reason why its not a good comparison is that Dunn is with another team right now. That means new coaches, new hitting coaches and different styles. Maybe the hitting coach had Dunn change just one tiny thing in his swing, or look for different things when up there hitting. Maybe that is why right now batting for average he is doing good. If he was still here, he could possibly be in the low .200's while hitting. So it really is dumb to compare the two all year. I mean Dunn will put up better numbers, but as I said people keep comparing them like wow if Dunn was here we would just put those numbers in and this team would be better. When that is not the truth, there is no way to know, because that would change a lot of things for this team. Yeah the team does need another bat, but I think they need more of a guy who can hit for average consistenly ALL YEAR and is just good with the bat. When they need someone to go the other way with it to move a guy over, or need a sac fly, or something like that. Not a power hitter. Another hitter who is good with the bat, is more important for the type of team we have than having someone like Dunn IMO.
April 21, 200917 yr No typo at all. If you noticed I even said that Dunn will put up better numbers, but nice try. However what I said is its misleading to compare stats and assume if you switch them and put Dunn back in LF, that the Reds would be better off. I have already named some of the reasons why you can't just put those numbers in and assume the reds will be better. You put Dunn in a lineup that is more based on players that are aggresive, and you will take that away. Its only natural when you know Dunn is coming up a manager is not going to take a chance to steal a guy and run them out of the inning when Dunn is coming up when he could hit a homerun. Right now the team though is not afraid to run and put that guy in scoring position. So this team right now could get a guy in scoring position and just need a single to get a run, instead of a homerun. I mean if you put Dunn in this lineup, its still not going to make this some kind of great lineup. All it would do is take away the aggesiveness from this lineup. You can't just assume that having him here would make this team score more runs. Everything would change with him in the lineup, and on defense. As I said their have probably already been plays by our leftfielders now that they have just made look routine. But with Dunn there he might not have even came close to a few of them, and would have a double and could lead to more runs for the other team. This whole team would change if he was here, so people shouldn't just assume if he was here that it would be for the better of the team. Maybe they could be better, but also the possibility that they as a team could be worse if he was still here. Not to mention another reason why its not a good comparison is that Dunn is with another team right now. That means new coaches, new hitting coaches and different styles. Maybe the hitting coach had Dunn change just one tiny thing in his swing, or look for different things when up there hitting. Maybe that is why right now batting for average he is doing good. If he was still here, he could possibly be in the low .200's while hitting. So it really is dumb to compare the two all year. I mean Dunn will put up better numbers, but as I said people keep comparing them like wow if Dunn was here we would just put those numbers in and this team would be better. When that is not the truth, there is no way to know, because that would change a lot of things for this team. Yeah the team does need another bat, but I think they need more of a guy who can hit for average consistenly ALL YEAR and is just good with the bat. When they need someone to go the other way with it to move a guy over, or need a sac fly, or something like that. Not a power hitter. Another hitter who is good with the bat, is more important for the type of team we have than having someone like Dunn IMO. Your argument about the baserunning rings pretty hollow right now considering the team has a total of 5 stolen bases, 3 of them by Tavares who will run no matter who is in the lineup. The fact is the team is lacking a bat, not just a hitter but a power hitter. It is true that the team needs a right-handed power hitter more than a lefty but on a team that is struggling to score runs a power bat in the 4-6 hole would be huge. With so many close games played so far comparing the HRs, RBIs and OBP is indeed a valid comparison. Couple that to the fact that Dunn signed for a very reasonable contract for his production level and it is very possible that not having Dunn's bat in the lineup is the thing that keeps the Reds out of the playoffs this year.
April 21, 200917 yr Your argument about the baserunning rings pretty hollow right now considering the team has a total of 5 stolen bases, 3 of them by Tavares who will run no matter who is in the lineup. The fact is the team is lacking a bat, not just a hitter but a power hitter. It is true that the team needs a right-handed power hitter more than a lefty but on a team that is struggling to score runs a power bat in the 4-6 hole would be huge. With so many close games played so far comparing the HRs, RBIs and OBP is indeed a valid comparison. Couple that to the fact that Dunn signed for a very reasonable contract for his production level and it is very possible that not having Dunn's bat in the lineup is the thing that keeps the Reds out of the playoffs this year. Look. The Reds had Dunn for many years, and not once did they make the playoffs. As soon as one of our OFs score from 1st base on a double, I will say the baserunning has improved, since Dunner is incapable of that feat. As soon as the Reds Lfer makes a big catch at the wall to save a game, I will laud the Reds for being better defensively, and as soon as the Reds post a winning season I will laud the Reds for being better off without Dunn. I stated a couple of years ago that Dunn would not be on the roster when the Reds posted their next winning season. Dunn is gone. The Reds have moved on stating they have made fundamental changes in the clubhouse. That speaks for itself. So I wish to move on also. I have enjoyed watching the current club this season. I will be rooting for the Reds, and really not care a whole bunch how Adam Dunn performs. Pretty much a moot point at this stage. Go Reds!
April 21, 200917 yr Wouldn't be a fair comparison. Yeah Dunn is going to put better numbers up than them. No doubt about that. However I think people would just assume that would mean the Reds would be do better to. IMO I would not be so sure about that. The Reds without Dunn are going to play a lot different in terms of strategy and things, than they would with Dunn. Reds might score some runs they wouldn't if Dunn was here, because they would be waiting for the homerun ball. The reds also will save some runs in the field as well now. I mean there is going to be some plays by the guys in left that would look routine, but if Dunn was still there it could have been a double. I just think it would be very misleading to compare stats. As I said Dunn definitely will have better offensive stats. Which would lead people to think the Reds would just add on to the wins that they would get this year. However everything would be different if he was here, and well the Reds might not have won as many games with him, as they would without him. In theory you are on the right track. However, this team so far has still shown the propensity to wait for a big hit to score runs. I haven't seen the "small ball" scoring yet.
April 21, 200917 yr In theory you are on the right track. However, this team so far has still shown the propensity to wait for a big hit to score runs. I haven't seen the "small ball" scoring yet. I have seen it some, and more aggesiveness on the bases. So far this though I will admit it hasn't worked. The games I have watched we have had guys barely get thrown out going to home a few times like yesterday, guys thrown out from first to third, and trying to steal. So I don't think they are waiting for the "big hit" just right now the aggresiveness has backfired in some situations. That is going to happen sometimes, and there is going to be times when it pays off big times. I think more times than not that it will pay off this year. I mean this team has had guys in scoring position a lot from the games I have watched this year, but just have not came up with the big hit, and when I say big hit. I mean just a simple base hit to score a guy. So I don't think they are waiting for the big hit like in years past, they are trying. By doing that it is going to put pressure on other teams. The key with this team is getting the guys who could be good hitters, to start hitting good. I mean when Phillips and Bruce both starting hitting like they are capable of. This team won't look as bad offensively as they have so far. Which I mean is a good thing right now because as bad as Bruce and Phillips have looked this year to go along with basically zero production from the 7 and 8 whole. This team still has a winning record.
April 22, 200917 yr Reds leftfielders: Avg .188, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 8 BB, 8 Ks, 8 Runs, OBP .298, 2 Errors, 0 SBs
April 23, 200917 yr Dunn/ 0-4, 2 SO, 4 LOB Griffey/ 0-3, 1 SO, 1 BB, 1 LOB Nats lose 1-0 M's lose 7-3
April 23, 200917 yr Reds leftfielders: Avg .192, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 8 BB, 8 Ks, 9 Runs, OBP .295, 2 Errors, 0 SBs
April 23, 200917 yr Dunn and Griffey lovers never cared about that stat... There's a reason for that. Its meaningless. Unless you are going to try to convince us that a 40/100/100 high OPS guy not only doesn't contribute to wins but causes losses. An intelligent debate would center around the use of salary space on this particualr team with this particular level of talent.
April 23, 200917 yr + Unless you are going to try to convince us that a 40/100/100 high OPS guy not only doesn't contribute to wins but causes losses. An intelligent debate would center around the use of salary space on this particualr team with this particular level of talent. ....
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.