April 9th Coaches Poll

Western Hills sure jumped into the mix. They have some good athletes, but I am not convinced that they have the coaching leadership to compete when the heat is on.

Sounds like an alum who didn't get to play so he's taking it out on the coaches. They've won close games against #2 PRP and #5 Tates Creek. They advanced to the regional semifinals last year before losing to eventual 11th region champion Lexington Catholic. Sounds like Western Hills is competing "when the heat is on."

Western Hills has a good coaching staff. In the past, they have had some decent teams but with little depth and no dominating pitcher, it's extremely hard to compete in the 11th region. What most people don't realize is that baseball is not classified and the 11th region is full of schools that can re-load rather than re-build. If you put Western Hills in the 8th region they most likely compete much better. However, when you must beat schools 3 times your size every year, your chances are slim.

I think if there ever was a year for Western Hills to compete in the 11th, this would be it. Not that the 11th is Necessarily weak, but it's not as powerful as it usually is (in my non-expert opinion).

They seem to be beating some of the best teams in the state, I dont think it would take the rest of the 11th to be weak for them to compete.

Not taking anything away from Western Hills, they have a good team this year and JT Riddle is one of the better players around, but until they can consistenlty beat Franklin County I have to pick the Flyers to be the top in the district. If you look back on the head to head over the last 10 years or so the win loss records for these two against each other are very skewed. I belive FCHS has won over 80% of the time.

Not taking anything away from Western Hills, they have a good team this year and JT Riddle is one of the better players around, but until they can consistenlty beat Franklin County I have to pick the Flyers to be the top in the district. If you look back on the head to head over the last 10 years or so the win loss records for these two against each other are very skewed. I belive FCHS has won over 80% of the time.

If you look back over the last ten years or so Western Hills has not had much of a program. They didn't have a winning season until 2007 at 15-13, and then they were 18-12 last year. This year they are off to an 8-0 start so something is obviously different there this year. However, you do have validity in your statement. Franklin County has had several winning seasons in a row, they were 24-10 last year against a tough schedule, and they too, are off to an 8-0 start. You are correct in saying Western Hills has to prove theirselves against Franklin County. Either way, looks like the two Frankfort teams have very solid clubs and should both move onto the 11th region and be contenders.