Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

This Great Game

Featured Replies

I know there are a few of us old guys on here that love this great game. It's somewhere you can go, get a hot dog, some peanuts, and sit in the stands or bleachers and watch these young men play this great game. I've been watching and/or coaching since I was 8 years old in Ohio. And everywhere that I have gone, it's been a great experience. There are a couple of fans that will say things to get the pitcher or batter un-nerved a little. That's OK. You know, "Here batter, batter, batter.", or "Hey pitcher." is ok. And I can't think of a time that I didn't want to go watch a game. But, this season it's a little different.

 

I want to go out and sit and enjoy a game and support our team. I want to be able to cheer these young men on. And anyone that knows me, I'm pretty vocal when a player makes an outstanding play. I'll pat every player I can on the back and tell them they played a good game. I do this to our players and the opposing team's players. That's sportsmanship and that is what is great about this game. No matter where I went, I have met a parent or coach from another team and had a great conversation with them and they'll tell our players good game. That's baseball.

 

What's not baseball is for a few in the stands to yell at the opposing players and say mean, nasty things to them. Making fun of their names or how small or big they are. That is not baseball. While these people saying these things, parents and administration is sitting there getting a good chuckle out of it. It's a bad rep that a team will get when this goes on. I have been apart of a team that everywhere they went and when at home, was told that these are the best young men and one of the best places to come to watch a game. It was enjoyable.

 

Not anymore. I may go watch a few more college games for awhile.

Edited by Pat Dad

I know there are a few of us old guys on here that love this great game. It's somewhere you can go, get a hot dog, some peanuts, and sit in the stands or bleachers and watch these young men play this great game. I've been watching and/or coaching since I was 8 years old in Ohio. And everywhere that I have gone, it's been a great experience. There are a couple of fans that will say things to get the pitcher or batter un-nerved a little. That's OK. You know, "Here batter, batter, batter.", or "Hey pitcher." is ok. And I can't think of a time that I didn't want to go watch a game. But, this season it's a little different.

 

I want to go out and sit and enjoy a game and support our team. I want to be able to cheer these young men on. And anyone that knows me, I'm pretty vocal when a player makes an outstanding play. I'll pat every player I can on the back and tell them they played a good game. I do this to our players and the opposing team's players. That's sportsmanship and that is what is great about this game. No matter where I went, I have met a parent or coach from another team and had a great conversation with them and they'll tell our players good game. That's baseball.

 

What's not baseball is for a few in the stands to yell at the opposing players and say mean, nasty things to them. Making fun of their names or how small or big they are. That is not baseball. While these people saying these things, parents and administration is sitting there getting a good chuckle out of it. It's a bad rep that a team will get when this goes on. I have been apart of a team that everywhere they went and when at home, was told that these are the best young men and one of the best places to come to watch a game. It was enjoyable.

 

Not anymore. I may go watch a few college games for awhile.

 

Not sure you'll be pleased there either? I agree with you in that there seems to be a new trend of heckling players, and I know it would have never been tolerated when I played (or coached).

 

I attended several SEC games last season and it was relentless! At LSU, Georgia, and yes, UK too. No one was what I would call "nasty" or "foul", but it was loud and it was NON-stop! Commenting on, well, anything and everything in an attempt to distract the opposing players. Seemed to be a "sun deck" or "party deck" thing aimed mostly at outfielders. Making fun of names, shape, the way a kid walked, wore his hat; a kid tripped coming on the field and that went on for two innings. The new 'home field advantage in baseball? Can't say that I've noticed it high school yet, but it sounds like it's coming? Hope not though.

  • Author
Not sure you'll be pleased there either? I agree with you in that there seems to be a new trend of heckling players, and I know it would have never been tolerated when I played (or coached).

 

I attended several SEC games last season and it was relentless! At LSU, Georgia, and yes, UK too. No one was what I would call "nasty" or "foul", but it was loud and it was NON-stop! Commenting on, well, anything and everything in an attempt to distract the opposing players. Seemed to be a "sun deck" or "party deck" thing aimed mostly at outfielders. Making fun of names, shape, the way a kid walked, wore his hat; a kid tripped coming on the field and that went on for two innings. The new 'home field advantage in baseball? Can't say that I've noticed it high school yet, but it sounds like it's coming? Hope not though.

 

I kind of expect this on the college and pro level, but high school shouldn't ever happen.

Dad - Love your positive thoughts on baseball. I think some of your most positive baseball experiences were visiting those folks at Lafayette in Lex! LOL

 

Seriously, baseball does provide a bond that is unique and beyond what most other sports can provide. I will say that my son's senior year brought some negative experiences with heckling towards his team that I still remember this day. When I reflect though, I realize those were tiny parts of a great journey. I also realize that those teams/fans that were expert at heckling are pretty much thought of as jack***** in general. So, don't let any jerks ruin the experiences of a beautiful sport for you. Tune them out... let them embarrass themselves.... whatever. It is YOUR game. :-)

 

BTW, as I've shared with you before, KC always had some of the most polite fans and players I've ever met!!

 

Play ball!!

Fantastic post Pat Dad... I will tell you that I have seen it both ways over the past few years. What keeps bringing me back is a game like I attended yesterday, Ryle vs Conner, terrific defensive plays, good pitching, two teams with respectable high school players that play the game the right way, and fans that cheer each of their teams on and the other teams players when they made a stellar play. Yes, it was baseball, "The Greatest Game".

One of the neatest parts of the 12-year old tournament at Cooperstown Dreams Park is that parents are forced to sit in stands - albeit very nice ones - way down the OF lines. Kids can't really see into the stands to see if dad is mad about their error or strike out, parents can't hang around the dugout to "coach" their son in the middle of the game, and if parents want to say something derogatory towards an opponent they pretty much have to scream it and if the umps hear it, they're gone immediately. While the games and competition was fierce, there was also a much more relaxed environment with the parents' involvement limited. Hmmmm . . . . . . :sssh:

Interesting setup Cooperstown! I truly feel sorry for the parent that can't relax enough to enough the joy of seeing their son play this sport. That means that their son can't truly develop a love for the game on his own or focus a passion into the game. He has to be worried, embarrassed, or focused on mom/dad. That's a shame.

 

The game has brought so many friends and life lessons into my own life. That has come through supporting my son for so many years. I truly believe it was "supporting" and I pray I didn't cross the line into being an obnoxious fan. I know he's the wonderful adult he is because of the coaches, game, players and folks that surrounded him on just about a daily basis growing up and into adulthood.

 

I watched a couple of games earlier this week and just felt like I breathed in baseball! Watching your own players make mistakes isn't always enjoyable, but it is to watch a young man's head process those mistakes and learn baseball.... priceless!!

 

"Great game" it is in so many ways!!

  • Author

Bluegrass, Lafayette was one of the best places that we have visited. I enjoyed it a lot. There have been a few other places that I enjoyed going to as well. All have been great experiences.

 

One thing that Coach Hammonds instilled in the boys that he coached was respect for the game and for the other team. My boys have taken that with them beyond the field. Baseball is a life lesson. And, yea, I try to tune it out (the heckling), but I am reminded that not every coach would put up with that. Most coaches would not put up with the disrespect. I guess this is a trend and all of us old guys will have to put up with it.

 

Cooperstown, when we have gone to away games, almost all of us baseball parents would meet down the outfield fence line and talk about the game. I like the setup you have with that tournament.

Cooperstown, when we have gone to away games, almost all of us baseball parents would meet down the outfield fence line and talk about the game. I like the setup you have with that tournament.

 

Just so it's clear, when I say "Cooperstown Dreams Park" tournament, I don't mean some tournament that I personally run. :lol: (I forgot that my BGP moniker might cause some confusion). This is a national tournament run by an organization in Cooperstown, New York throughout the summer months and is only for 12 year old teams. Back when we went, they took 64 teams per week from all over the country - Hawaii, Florida, Texas, California, literally almost every state. I think now it's up to over 100 teams per week because they've added more fields (they have like 21 fields now, all of them just beautiful). You live in barracks at the field complex - no parents! - eat on base, plays a couple games per day. It is an incredible, and I mean flat-out incredible, BASEBALL experience!

I have heard from many that the Cooperstown tourney is indeed outstanding.

 

Great post Dad.... It is the game I loved to play, and now to watch.

The thing I notice a lot in both basektball and baseball is that some parents feel obligated to making statements, or hollering encouragement or whatever, to validate their knowledge of the game.

What some of these folks don't realize is that by doing this, they actually show how little they know about the game, which is scary, knowing that after the game on the ride home, or at dinner that night, dad is imparting his wisdom, or lack thereof on his son.

 

I put heckling of opposing players, etc., in a whole different category - classless!

 

I have a season box at River Downs where a number of us regulars gather on a daily basis. Directly behind us is a standing area with an area to sit your drink and racing form and watch the simulcast races. We can hear every word spoken back there, and it is amazing how often casual fans back there will try to impart their knowledge to the guy standing next to them. Quite entertaining. Rationalizing that a Maiden 15000 claimer in an early race is a great bet because a top jockey is on him, or a well-known trainer trains him is their rational, which in actuality makes them great bet-againsts in those races. I'd like to know how often we look at each other and say, "Hey, there's an all-star back at the stupid bar today."

 

I guess it's just human nature.

Baseball I have found is the one game that everybody knows how to play (tongue in cheek). And unfortunately the ruining of players by parents that have no clue. I am so tired of a kid coming to bat and hearing back elbow up, hands down, step to the pitcher.........by a parent every time the kid gets ready to see a pitch.

Edited by goaheadandjump
misplaced comma

Baseball I have found is the one game that everybody knows how to play (tongue in cheek). And unfortunately the ruining of players by parents that have no clue. I am so tired of a kid coming to bat and hearing back elbow up, hands down, step to the pitcher.........by a parent every time the kid gets ready to see a pitch.

 

I've alway been partial to the "swing level" parent instruction, almost none of whom know it means to swing level with the plane of the pitch and not perfectly parallel to the ground. :lol:

I've alway been partial to the "swing level" parent instruction, almost none of whom know it means to swing level with the plane of the pitch and not perfectly parallel to the ground. :lol:

 

Kind of like going vertical on a diving catch in the outfield....:laugh:

I would agree that Cooperstown is truly a nice place to play a ballgame.

 

The only other thing that I would add to this discussion of the greatest game is that there are far too many coaches who put their ego's first and not the kids. I've witnessed 9 yr olds berated for making an error, cursed and screamed at in front of God and everyone. I've witnessed a coach getting thrown out of a game because he swore that a tipped pitch that was caught by the catcher meant it was a foul ball and the runner should return to 1st!!

 

This is slowly infiltrating HS baseball and it is a shame that it happens on any level. Though it is primarily a summer baseball problem, there are plenty of coaches at the HS level who may coach the game the way it should be played, but sure don't set a good example through their actions.

 

Nothing like the subtle nuances of baseball to get me going and ready for summer.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.