Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bad Message from Notre Dame?

Featured Replies

FWIW, Bellarmine University faced a similar outcry when they allowed a student to post flyers promoting a Nazi organization.

  • Replies 168
  • Views 18.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I oppose abortion as much as anyone. Would you have an issue if Bush had been invited to speak? His policies on the death penalty and the war in Iraq were in direct opposition to the teachings of the Catholic Church as well.

 

In all honestly, probably not. Obama's support of the FOCA just sickens and repels me.

In all honestly, probably not. Obama's support of the FOCA just sickens and repels me.

 

 

Interesting.

If I'm not mistaken, Notre Dame has had numerous Presidents speak there early in thier terms.

 

Condi Rice has spoken at Boston College I belive. I've heard her described as "moderately pro-choice"

I oppose abortion as much as anyone. Would you have an issue if Bush had been invited to speak? His policies on the death penalty and the war in Iraq were in direct opposition to the teachings of the Catholic Church as well.

 

 

As a former Catholic I may not be up to speed on all of the Catholic teachings, but I wasn't aware that the Catholic Church was as strong in its position against war as it was against abortion. Is that so?

 

Clyde raised an interesing question: can you support abortion and still be welcome in the Catholic Church? Again, I'm no longer a practicing Catholic, but I thought the answer was no. Haven't Catholic priests refuse to serve Communion to Catholic politicians that voted in support of abortion rights? Another question: have Catholic priests refused to serve Communion to Catholic war vets?

I think it is a wonderful thing. He is a self made man, who is highly intelligent with a great academic background and good family man Oh and he is the President of the United States. So what if you don't agree with him on everything politically or religiously, I thought Notre Dame was an academic institution why wouldn't any academic institution want the POTUS to speak at thier commencement?

 

So you're saying that every POTUS, regardless of how opposed his beliefs are to the beliefs of a private college may be, should be invited just because he or she is the POTUS?

 

Do you honestly think that if some racial bigot got elected to become POTUS, he/she would be/should be invited to speak at some traditionally African American college? I don't. Would we/should we honestly expect the adminstrators at that African American college to say to its students: "hey, have an open mind about racial bigotry and consider all view points" ? Again, I don't.

 

There are many issues and beliefs that we should have an open mind on. However, I do believe that there are some issues that are so central to certain institutions that there should be no room for consideration of opposing beliefs. With the Catholic Church, I thought that issue was abortion, but maybe I'm wrong and the Catholic Church is okay with some of its members supporting abortion.

I was using Clyde's Hitler analogy. I am not comparing Obama to Hitler or Duke--forgive me if it came across that way. But I do feel he and his agendas are a threat to human life.
Fair enough, but Hitler and Duke preached an ideology of hate on ethnic and racial grounds. Obama does nothing of the sort.

I personally do not agree with Pres. Obama speaking at the commencement at Notre Dame or any Catholic institution. Whether that is right or wrong in your eyes, it is my opinion.
I'm not condemning your opinion ... I'm simply questioning it.
  • Author
Random comment: THE Catholic University in America is The Catholic University of America, located in Washington DC.

 

Really has nothing to do with the argument...just wanted to throw that out there.

 

Maybe in your eyes but, to the vast majority of the populace, Notre Dame is THE Catholic university in the United States and probably in the world. Most never heard of Catholic University.

Maybe in your eyes but, to the vast majority of the populace, Notre Dame is THE Catholic university in the United States and probably in the world. Most never heard of Catholic University.

 

 

I'm assuming from this comment that you are an authority on the general population's knowledge of Catholic Universities?

  • Author
I think it is a wonderful thing. He is a self made man, who is highly intelligent with a great academic background and good family man Oh and he is the President of the United States. So what if you don't agree with him on everything politically or religiously, I thought Notre Dame was an academic institution why wouldn't any academic institution want the POTUS to speak at thier commencement?

 

You aren't serious, are you? Surely, you are merely trying to stir the pot.

 

I would also add that your discription of his "achievements" is a bit flowery. Are you actually Rahm Emmanuel, Oprah Winfrey, or Chris Matthews?

As a former Catholic I may not be up to speed on all of the Catholic teachings, but I wasn't aware that the Catholic Church was as strong in its position against war as it was against abortion. Is that so?

 

Clyde raised an interesing question: can you support abortion and still be welcome in the Catholic Church? Again, I'm no longer a practicing Catholic, but I thought the answer was no. Haven't Catholic priests refuse to serve Communion to Catholic politicians that voted in support of abortion rights? Another question: have Catholic priests refused to serve Communion to Catholic war vets?

 

 

Here's a link to the Vatican website. I don't have time to go into it all. There are also links to recent communication from the Pope to leaders of the world regarding war, peace, etc.

You aren't serious, are you? Surely, you are merely trying to stir the pot.

 

I would also add that your discription of his "achievements" is a bit flowery. Are you actually Rahm Emmanuel, Oprah Winfrey, or Chris Matthews?

What is it about his description of Obama that is inaccurate?
  • Author
I'm assuming from this comment that you are an authority on the general population's knowledge of Catholic Universities?

 

If you are not aware of this, I guess I am more of an authority on this subject than are you. Actually, you don't need to be an authority to know how Notre Dame is perceived by the general population any more than you need to be an authority on Catholic theology to know that the church and its true followers do not and should not bend on sanctity of life issues.

  • Author
What is it about his description of Obama that is inaccurate?

 

I guess we could start with "self made man".

 

The point is that he is an abortionist. He has no regard for the sanctity of human life. He should never be welcome at Notre Dame or at any other institution, Catholic or otherwise, that adhers to right to life tenets.

 

Some of these rationalizations are ridiculous. If you have deep held beliefs, you don't compromise by honoring (giving the commencement address is obviously a way in which the school honors the speaker) one who seeks to destroy one of your most sacred beliefs.

 

Using the logic of some of you, I would suggest that you would approve of David Duke delivering the commencement address (and receiving the honor that goes with it) at Kentucky State University or some other predominently black school.

I guess we could start with "self made man".
Because?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.