March 26, 200917 yr Obama has been invited to deliver the commencement address at Notre Dame in May. He, of course, has accepted. This has caused a firestorm among those who adher to the Catholic Church stand on the sanctity of life. The bishop of the diocese which includes South Bend, as well as a growing number of church leaders, have stated their opposition. The bishop will not attend. As we all know, Obama is an extremist on this issue as has been demonstrated by his actions since he took office. He didn't mislead anyone because he has been clear on his absolute pro-abortion position. For several self-serving political and philosophical reasons I don't think Obama would graciously decline. Should Notre Dame have offered the invitation in the first place? Should the invitation be recinded? Does the invitation damage the Catholic Church in its efforts to protect all human life? Should the Catholic Church publicly reprimand Notre Dame and the individuals who extended the invitation? I think the answers to these questions are a clear and unwavering no, yes, yes, and absolutely.
March 26, 200917 yr What is Notre Dame's record on commencement speakers? Do they have a history of only inviting speakers who adhere to Catholic beliefs?
March 26, 200917 yr What happened to tolerating opposite viewpoints? He is the President of the United States, after all ... he has some relevant views on life to share, especially given his background.
March 26, 200917 yr I'm torn on this one. One of the goals of higher learning is to expose students (and, heck, professors) to concepts/issues/ideas that are foreign to them. The Bishop and you, Wyrostek, seem to be saying "only those who agree with the Church are allowed to come to ND as guests/speakers." Is that good? Wouldn't it be better if the President was able to attend and if the school/Church also had discussions about the President's views towards the issue of abortion? I think that would be a win in the long run for young minds to have to actually think "why" the Church is against abortion vs having someone like you or the Bishop cram it down their throats without requiring them to use their brain that Mom and Dad are paying $40K to develop. In my house, I don't force my children to think like I do. That's ignornat and its not helping them develop their mind and its not helping them be able to have a debate. I let them express their viewpoints, challenge the logic behind it, make sure they know all sides, and then let them come up with their own answer. Why can't the Church do the same thing? Why wouldn't you advocate the same thing?
March 26, 200917 yr What happened to tolerating opposite viewpoints? He is the President of the United States, after all ... he has some relevant views on life to share, especially given his background. His relevant views are in direct opposition to the Catholic Church's teachings. We are not talking about any old university--this is named after our Blessed Mother.
March 26, 200917 yr I'm torn on this one. One of the goals of higher learning is to expose students (and, heck, professors) to concepts/issues/ideas that are foreign to them. The Bishop and you, Wyrostek, seem to be saying "only those who agree with the Church are allowed to come to ND as guests/speakers." Is that good? Wouldn't it be better if the President was able to attend and if the school/Church also had discussions about the President's views towards the issue of abortion? I think that would be a win in the long run for young minds to have to actually think "why" the Church is against abortion vs having someone like you or the Bishop cram it down their throats without requiring them to use their brain that Mom and Dad are paying $40K to develop. In my house, I don't force my children to think like I do. That's ignornat and its not helping them develop their mind and its not helping them be able to have a debate. I let them express their viewpoints, challenge the logic behind it, make sure they know all sides, and then let them come up with their own answer. Why can't the Church do the same thing? Why wouldn't you advocate the same thing? The Church does not waver on life. Period.
March 26, 200917 yr His relevant views are in direct opposition to the Catholic Church's teachings.All of them?
March 26, 200917 yr The Church does not waver on life. Period. I realize that. Why can't the Church let students at Notre Dame listen to speakers that the Church doesn't agree with on ALL issues? Is the Church afraid that some might form their own opinion?
March 26, 200917 yr Had ND or any other Catholic institution ever had a speaker on campus who was divorced? Committed adultery? Had premaritial sex? Uses birth control? Doesn't go to confession?
March 26, 200917 yr His relevant views are in direct opposition to the Catholic Church's teachings. We are not talking about any old university--this is named after our Blessed Mother. So the Church would be OK with the President speaking at XU or Boston College? Really?
March 26, 200917 yr So the Church would be OK with the President speaking at XU or Boston College? Really? No.
March 26, 200917 yr I realize that. Why can't the Church let students at Notre Dame listen to speakers that the Church doesn't agree with on ALL issues? Is the Church afraid that some might form their own opinion? No, I don't think that is it. It's more like, why give a platform to someone whose viewpoints directly oppose your own?
March 26, 200917 yr A really big one--sanctity of life.And you know, he may actually to decide to speak about something else ...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.