Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

My Son's First Trip to Rupp Arena

Featured Replies

Hope you all enjoy this...

 

Here's a little short story detailing my night at the Sweet Sixteen with my 2-year old son, Alan:

 

My 2-year old son, Alan, seems destined to be an athlete. His favorite words besides “mommy” and “daddy” are “bootball” (football) and “backetball” (basketball). As a toddler, he can already easily identify basketball, football, baseball, soccer, volleyball, tennis, fishing, hockey and even golf. His preferred morning programming, while daddy is getting ready for work, is not SpongeBob Squarepants, Mickey Mouse, Handy Manny or The Wiggles. Instead, he thoroughly enjoys a half hour of SportsCenter on ESPN.

 

Last Friday, my wife and daughter had plans to go with a group from our church to Kid’s Place in Lexington. I realized that this would be the perfect opportunity to take Alan to Rupp Arena for the first time, so I purchased my ticket to the Friday-night session of the KHSAA Sweet Sixteen.

 

I still remember that first time I walked through one of the Rupp Arena tunnels and looked out onto the court. I can easily recall the shock of seeing 20,000 people in one venue and the overwhelming sensation as I surveyed the arena’s sheer size and noise. Somehow, deep down, I knew that taking my son there for his first visit would eclipse my own experience.

 

Continued on my blog:

 

http://www.allkyhoops.com/

  • Author
:thumb::thumb:

 

Thanks :thumb:

Good story Wireman!! Thanks for sharing that with us!!

 

Keep us posted on your sons progress toward Rupp!! :thumb:

  • Author
Good story Wireman!! Thanks for sharing that with us!!

 

Keep us posted on your sons progress toward Rupp!! :thumb:

 

He is consistently making 4' jumpers on his Little Tikes goal, already :dancingpa

I remember my first time at Memorial Coliseum and Rupp Arena and Crosley Field. Hope you and your son have many more memories.:thumb:

  • Author
I remember my first time at Memorial Coliseum and Rupp Arena and Crosley Field. Hope you and your son have many more memories.:thumb:

 

Thanks. :thumb:

Great Story. His first game was defintily an exciting one.

Thats great. My dad took me to my 1st UK game when I was 17. It was his first trip to Rupp too.

  • Author
Thats great. My dad took me to my 1st UK game when I was 17. It was his first trip to Rupp too.

 

Cool. My first UK was the one when Jody Thompson from Feds Creek (I think) hit a 4-point play, which may have been his total career points. My first neutral site game was UK vs. Florida State in Charlotte in 1993. My second Rupp game was when Derek Anderson tore his ACL.

  • Author

I forgot to add in the story how excited Alan was when the cow mascot came on the floor. I think it was probably the Chic Fil A cow, but I'm not positive. I said, "look buddy, a cow..." and he quickly came back with a nice, "moooooo"

 

Good stuff.

Hope you all enjoy this...

 

Here's a little short story detailing my night at the Sweet Sixteen with my 2-year old son, Alan:

 

My 2-year old son, Alan, seems destined to be an athlete. His favorite words besides “mommy” and “daddy” are “bootball” (football) and “backetball” (basketball). As a toddler, he can already easily identify basketball, football, baseball, soccer, volleyball, tennis, fishing, hockey and even golf. His preferred morning programming, while daddy is getting ready for work, is not SpongeBob Squarepants, Mickey Mouse, Handy Manny or The Wiggles. Instead, he thoroughly enjoys a half hour of SportsCenter on ESPN.

 

Last Friday, my wife and daughter had plans to go with a group from our church to Kid’s Place in Lexington. I realized that this would be the perfect opportunity to take Alan to Rupp Arena for the first time, so I purchased my ticket to the Friday-night session of the KHSAA Sweet Sixteen.

 

I still remember that first time I walked through one of the Rupp Arena tunnels and looked out onto the court. I can easily recall the shock of seeing 20,000 people in one venue and the overwhelming sensation as I surveyed the arena’s sheer size and noise. Somehow, deep down, I knew that taking my son there for his first visit would eclipse my own experience.

 

Continued on my blog:

 

http://www.allkyhoops.com/

 

Wireman, is this a future Lions star in the making?

 

Good story man.:thumb:

  • Author
Wireman, is this a future Lions star in the making?

 

Good story man.:thumb:

 

Appreciate it :thumb:

  • Author
Great story, Wire :thumb:

 

Thanks :thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.