Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who are the best coaches?

Featured Replies

7 more finals appearances and 5 more titles in 5 more years.

 

Yes. And, if Pop can coach the Spurs to 5 straight titles starting now, I'll rate him above Phil. :thumb:

  • Replies 34
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Yes. And, if Pop can coach the Spurs to 5 straight titles starting now, I'll rate him above Phil. :thumb:

 

I know Sloan had Malone and Stockton, who were no slouches in their own right, but Phil had arguably the two greatest players of all-time play for him (Jordan and Kobe)

In Phil Jackson's defense. Doug Collins coached practically the same Jordan/Grant/Pippen teams in '88 and '89, but it took Phil to coach them to the NBA finals and win it.

I like the list. I think Jeff Fischer is one heck of a coach too! I also think Mike Socissa gets his guys to play hard and small ball in the AL at times when they need too.

MLB- Joe Torre

NBA- Phil Jackson, yeah he's had some great players but how many teams have had great players and haven't won squat?

NFL- Bill B.

 

Agree 100%!:thumb:

In Phil Jackson's defense. Doug Collins coached practically the same Jordan/Grant/Pippen teams in '88 and '89, but it took Phil to coach them to the NBA finals and win it.

 

:thumb:

 

It's true that Phil has had great talent. But, it's also true that he has, without debate, been more successful than any coach other than Red...and it's quite likely that he'll surpass Red before he's done.

 

The point? A lot of coaches have had the benefit of great talent. Only one has had the kind of success to rival Phil Jackson.

I like the list. I think Jeff Fischer is one heck of a coach too! I also think Mike Socissa gets his guys to play hard and small ball in the AL at times when they need too.

 

Fisher has 0 world championships....

Yes. And, if Pop can coach the Spurs to 5 straight titles starting now, I'll rate him above Phil. :thumb:

 

He shouldn't have to if he has done it with less talent. :sssh:

Fisher has 0 world championships....

 

Tony Dungy was in that boat too but I would put him up there.

Marino wasn't a very good QB with that logic.

Tony Dungy was in that boat too but I would put him up there.

Marino wasn't a very good QB with that logic.

 

Tony Dungy is no longer in that boat.

 

Marino was a very good QB, but coaching and QB'ing are two different things.

 

And I never said that 0 world championships made Fisher a bad coach, but it certainly eliminates him from the discussion of the "best" coach.

In Phil Jackson's defense. Doug Collins coached practically the same Jordan/Grant/Pippen teams in '88 and '89, but it took Phil to coach them to the NBA finals and win it.

 

:thumb:

 

A great arguement.

He shouldn't have to if he has done it with less talent. :sssh:

 

That argument might be valid...if Phil Jackson wasn't an entire hands worth of titles ahead of him.

 

Just sayin'...:sssh:

Tony Dungy is no longer in that boat.

 

Marino was a very good QB, but coaching and QB'ing are two different things.

 

And I never said that 0 world championships made Fisher a bad coach, but it certainly eliminates him from the discussion of the "best" coach.

 

If you asked me to build a NFL franchise with the guys coaching today he would be my 2nd choice. I don't think anybody can not take Billechick but Fischer would be my next guy and if I couldn't get Billechick then I would be estatic to land Fischer.

Tell me this HB do you think Billechick and Fischer have coached the same talent? Personally I think Fischer has done more with less over the years. If you think they are even then I would love to see your breakdown by position between the Pats+Titans.

Example:

QB: NE

RB: Tenn

WR: NE

TE: probably Tenn

Olines have both been solid

Dline both have been good but NE has the edge.

LBer both good NE edge

DB's New England

Kickers both good over the years

Returners NE edge

I think if you go down the line on both sides of the ball it's easy to see the Pats have had a lot more talent although they have both been solid year in year out.

I also think it's hard to compare because the top team the Pats have to beat in their division over the years are:

Buff, NY, Mia (pretty weak during Brian's tenure)

Indy, Pitt's, Balt, Jacks (much tougher road for Fischer)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.