February 14, 200917 yr Does anyone ever find it weird that Jesus is depicted as a white man? Actually, I find it even stranger that he is depicted differently in different cultures Is this normal for other religious figures (from other religions)? I understand that the depictions of Jesus normally reflect the ethnicity of the culture in which the depiction is created (for example, when visiting family in North Carolina, at the Church that we attend there is a shrine of an African-American Mary and baby Jesus). Does anyone ever think it is kind of weird?
February 14, 200917 yr I think this: From a historical perspective, it's impossible that Jesus was Caucasian. From a spiritual perspective, Jesus is within each of us, therefore He is of all ethnicities.
February 14, 200917 yr Author I think this: From a historical perspective, it's impossible that Jesus was Caucasian. From a spiritual perspective, Jesus is within each of us, therefore He is of all ethnicities. I know. I know it doesn't matter what ethnicity Jesus was. I just find it strange.
February 14, 200917 yr I think this: From a historical perspective, it's impossible that Jesus was Caucasian. From a spiritual perspective, Jesus is within each of us, therefore He is of all ethnicities. One has to wonder if it makes worship more difficult for those of other ethnicities knowing that he has been physically mispresented throughout the history of the church to only reflect one race.
February 14, 200917 yr One has to wonder if it makes worship more difficult for those of other ethnicities knowing that he has been physically mispresented throughout the history of the church to only reflect one race. I wonder that, too. It's almost...dare I say...a lie?
February 14, 200917 yr I'll have to do some research, but I believe it was only with the spread of Christianity throughout the Anglo-Saxon world that depictions of Jesus became prevelant. There are some Christian denominations to this day that do not allow statues or pictures in their places of worship. So, I would say that if you went to Egypt, (which I haven't so I could be completely wrong), a Christian Church there would show a Jesus with Egyptian ethnicity.
February 14, 200917 yr Author I'll have to do some research, but I believe it was only with the spread of Christianity throughout the Anglo-Saxon world that depictions of Jesus became prevelant. There are some Christian denominations to this day that do not allow statues or pictures in their places of worship. So, I would say that if you went to Egypt, (which I haven't so I could be completely wrong), a Christian Church there would show a Jesus with Egyptian ethnicity. Not sure of Egypt, but I have some pictures from Israel that depict Jesus and other biblical figures. I will put them up...
February 14, 200917 yr Author Not sure of Egypt, but I have some pictures from Israel that depict Jesus and other biblical figures. I will put them up... The first one is ironic, given the discussion.
February 14, 200917 yr I remember watching a movie by Johnny Cash called "Gospel Road" back in the 1980s. It was the story of Jesus featuring a big blonde haired blue eyed Scandanavian looking Jesus played by an actor named Robert Elfstrom. I chuckled all the way through. Put me in the category of those uncomfortable with "images" of Christ. We are not to worship idols. As long as images of Christ do not become venerated objects I have no problem with them as illustrations or reminders of His place in our lives. To this end, I could care less if he's white, brown, tan, red, yellow or really dark brown. I would assume that due to his earthly lineage, He would have been a lovely tan color. According to the Bible, He's whiter than the sun now, so... I guess it's all about whatever you're comfortable with. Now, an African Santa Claus is another fun topic... :lol:
February 14, 200917 yr When I think of Jesus I think of the movie "King of Kings", Jeffrey Hunter was Jesus great movie. Jeff had perfect features, blue eyes, very white teeth, well over 6 feet tall, nice shaped beard. "Gospel of John," the actor is short, brown eyes/hair, has Jewish features, hair/beard needs shaping up but looks more realistic. "Passion", see first comment. I want Jesus to be tall in my mind. King Saul in the Old Testament was a head taller than anyone in the area. So it is possible. I'm also sure his skin was dark and he had a beard/brown eyes.
February 14, 200917 yr I think this: From a historical perspective, it's impossible that Jesus was Caucasian. From a spiritual perspective, Jesus is within each of us, therefore He is of all ethnicities. Actually, he would be. Just not white.
February 15, 200917 yr To add to the debate, most of the views of Jesus is a loving view. Never one of his driving the money-changers out of the temple with whips. Was in a store once that had a picture of Jesus playing soccer with some kids. That was strange.
February 15, 200917 yr To add to the debate, most of the views of Jesus is a loving view. Never one of his driving the money-changers out of the temple with whips. Was in a store once that had a picture of Jesus playing soccer with some kids. That was strange. Well, his love of God's people was the dominant theme in the book. Do you somehow think it unlikely Jesus would be any good at soccer?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.