Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Depictions of Jesus

Featured Replies

Jesus had to have Middle Eastern features. That's where he was born. Many paintings of Him that are framed in churches today were made by European Renaissance artist, and they gave him an almost Nordic image. That can't be accurate, but it was probably political correct way to to it in Renaissance times.

 

There have been ones well before that time depict him as white. It seems likely that was done to make Christianity more tolerable to Europeans (i.e., would-be converts) of the pre-Renaissance eras.

  • Replies 34
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand everyone's point about the middle eastern features, but was not Jesus Jewish? And Jews at least in that area today do not resemble Arabic features, do they?

 

It does not matter to me but asking a question to further the debate.

  • Author
I understand everyone's point about the middle eastern features, but was not Jesus Jewish? And Jews at least in that area today do not resemble Arabic features, do they?

 

It does not matter to me but asking a question to further the debate.

I'm sure that an expert or native of the area would say differently, but to me, I could not tell them apart while I was there. They all looked Mediterranean to me.

 

Of course there were some European Jews had moved to Israel for the whole Birthright movement, but not many.

Edited by cch5432
JIMSCHUE is right

I understand everyone's point about the middle eastern features, but was not Jesus Jewish? And Jews at least in that area today do not resemble Arabic features, do they?

 

It does not matter to me but asking a question to further the debate.

 

It's not necessarily "Arabic" features, but general Mediterranean features you should be looking for.

I'm sure that an expert or native of the area would say differently, but to me, I could not tell them apart while I was there. They all looked Mediterranean to me.

 

Of course there were some European Jews had moved to Israel for the whole Birthright movement, but not many.

 

It's not necessarily "Arabic" features, but general Mediterranean features you should be looking for.

 

Both sound reasonable to me.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.