12th Region "As-of-today" Rankings

I've spent a few days thinking about who is/isn't the best team(s) in the 12th Region and this is what I've come up with. These rankings are far from scientific, but rather incorporate records, opponents, games against one another and opinion based on what I've seen from the teams. Feel free to discuss.

1. Lincoln County (9-5)

What to like: Pats seem to be hitting their stride.

What not to like: Not scoring like they have in the past; could potentially hurt them.

What's coming up: Huge district games at Garrard (1/20) and at Boyle (1/30), sandwiching matchups with Madison Central (1/23) and McCreary (1/27).

2. Wayne County (12-7)

What to like: Two wins against McCreary Central.

What not to like: McCreary wins may be inflating outsiders opinions; losses to Lincoln, Madison Central, Eastern, Clay County and Corbin by average of 15 points makes you question if they are top level team.

What's coming up: Nothing much. A trip to Knox Central in ten days, then the Jessamines both go to Monticello late in the season.

3. McCreary Central (11-6)

What to like: Raiders have best all-around player in the region in Aaron Watts. Wins over Mercer, West and an impressive rout at East Jessamine.

What not to like: Penchant for disappointment. Haven't won more than three consecutive games this season without a loss.

What's coming up: Huge trip to Lincoln next Tuesday. Anderson County on the road in three weeks is intriguing.

4. East Jessamine (12-5)

What to like: I don't know! Good record, won a Florida tournament, beat almost everyone they were supposed to.

What not to like: Pounded at home by McCreary Central.

What's coming up: At Garrard on Friday, Mercer and West at home in next two weeks, at Wayne on Valentine's Day. Jaguars seem poised to either drop or rise.

5. West Jessamine (13-6)

What to like: Continuing to play strong defense. Seems like they can score better than in the past.

What not to like: Home loss to East keeps Colts below their cross-town rivals. Bad early loss at Lincoln, although things can change.

What's coming up: Mercer/Catholic double this weekend. At Southwestern next Tuesday. Revenge trip to East in two weeks.

6. Garrard County (13-3)

What to like: Best start in years. Allowing fewer points per game than anyone in the region. Running offense well.

What not to like: Who have they played? Holding up wins over Woodford and Grant, but not much else.

What's coming up: Garrard is impossible to read right now because their schedule is back-logged with region games. Lincoln, East, Boyle, Mercer, Pulaski, Rockcastle, Danville all left to play.

7. Danville (7-7)

What to like: Won five out of six, including wins over Boyle, McCreary and Adair. All "A" finalist.

What not to like: Not much right now. Questions on offense in postseason? Can they continue hot streak?

What's coming up: Maybe their first trip to state All "A" in Richmond since 1999. Second round of district games, with Lincoln and Boyle at home.

8. Southwestern (10-7)

What to like: Have won six out of seven. Schultz teams usually get better as the year goes along.

What not to like: Can they beat McCreary? Probably. But if they can't, no repeat trip to regional tournament.

What's coming up: Russell County, McCreary, West Jessamine in the next seven days.

9. Mercer County (8-9)

What to like: Very talented. Early win over Wayne still looks nice.

What not to like: Fading into oblivion. Coaching chaos, two years in a row. Losses to McCreary, East, West, John Hardin - okay. Home loss to Burgin - yuck!

What's coming up: Round two of the district, all on the road. Road games at Lincoln, Boyle, Garrard and Southwestern.

10. Rockcastle County (8-10)

What to like: Can be streaky. Have a three-game and four-game winning streak during the season.

What not to like: Can be streaky. Have a five-game losing streak and have lost their last two.

What's coming up: Wayne and McCreary at home, while trip to Pulaski next weeked could decide #1 ssed.

11. Boyle County (6-12)

What to like: Took awhile to get football players back in flow.

What not to like: Just don't have many good wins. Home toppling of 7-10 Shelby County as good as Rebels can claim today.

What's coming up: While down, Boyle is never out. Wayne and Garrard on the road this weekend are good opportunities to improve their standing. Boyle will still make a run.

12. Pulaski County (8-9)

What to like: Good early win over Bell. Beat Somerset.

What not to like: Haven't really beat anyone else. Wayne got them twice, Lincoln beat them, Rockcastle, Southwestern and McCreary all have topped the Maroons. Just don't seem that good, yet could still win district.

What's coming up: Round three at Casey tonight. Road trips coming to Mercer, Russell County, North Laurel, Somerset, Southwestern, Garrard, West and Boyle. Tough finishing slate.

13. Casey County (5-12)

What to like: Team plays very hard.

What not to like: Struggle mightily to score. Only average 53 per game. Culture of losing basketball (no regional trips in 11 years) has been tough to break.

What's coming up: Can still be #1 seed with wins over Rockcastle and Pulaski.

14. Somerset (9-11)

What to like: Won holiday tournament in Tennessee. Young talent bodes well for future.

What not to like: Haven't had much success in district or county and loss to Danville ends hopes of 9th straight trip to Richmond for All "A."

What's coming up: Lincoln, Wayne, McCreary, Danville, East. Jumpers have sealed #4 seed in district, but improved play could lead to a playoff upset.

15. Burgin (12-3)

What to like: Everything. Small school has had tons of success this season and even gave Mercer their first loss in new gym.

What not to like: While a great story, Bulldogs have played few good teams and have beaten fewer. Capable of an upset any night, but the Jessamines likely too steep of hill to climb to get to region.

What's coming up: All "A" regional against Monticello then Danville with a win. Burgin looking to make first trip to Richmond.

16. Monticello (2-15)

What to like: Broke long losing streak with win over Lynn Camp last time out.

What not to like: 45 points per game will not lead to much success.

What's coming up: Chance to knock off Burgin and get to All "A" regional final. Hosting district tournament for first time in several years.

17. Kentucky School f/t Deaf (6-6)

What to like: Have one win over hearing school (Portland Christian) this season.

What not to like: No complaints. Perhaps no team in the region plays harder than the Colonels.

What's coming up: Hosting Mason-Dixon Tournament this weekend pitting eleven best southern deaf schools. KSD is the #3 seed, behind Alabama and Florida. Very capable of winning tournament.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty good rankings... One more good win to add to McCreary is the win over a top 3 team in the 14th in Perry County Central. They will rematch this Saturady in the Laurel County Hoopfest. The match up with Lincoln should be another great game out of a growing rivalry over the last few years. Hopefully, the Raiders are starting to get hot after their 2 good showings @ East last weekend.

Pretty good rankings... One more good win to add to McCreary is the win over a top 3 team in the 14th in Perry County Central. They will rematch this Saturady in the Laurel County Hoopfest. The match up with Lincoln should be another great game out of a growing rivalry over the last few years. Hopefully, the Raiders are starting to get hot after their 2 good showings @ East last weekend.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that win over Perry Central for McCreary Central. And the matchup with Lincoln should be a good one.

Great job on the rankings. They are much appreciated and look to be pretty accurate if not scientific.

92, I spent more time thinking about where to put Boyle County than any other team. My head says 13, 14 or 15, but knowing how hard they always are to beat when it matters, I was thinking 5 or 6! I settled for an average number.:thumb:

92, I spent more time thinking about where to put Boyle County than any other team. My head says 13, 14 or 15, but knowing how hard they always are to beat when it matters, I was thinking 5 or 6! I settled for an average number.:thumb:

I thought it was the perfect spot for Boyle. Everyone above us has beaten us or probably would and we would beat everyone below us. The time is now for us to prove we belong higher as I feel we are capable of beating everyone in the 12th but we have to do it on the court.

Outstanding job on your ranking of the region. Looks like alout of hard work, which is greatly appreciated. Garrard could make a big push to go up in the standings with a win over Lincoln Co. tonight. Thanks again for breaking down every team in the region.

No problem. Snow days are great!:thumb:

I think it's safe to move Garrard above LC here...

Yeah, but not above Wayne, McCreary, East or West just yet. Lions have a loss at West Jessamine and haven't played the other three. East on Friday night should be interesting. Garrard doesn't play Wayne or McCreary so we probably won't know until later.