Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Elliott better as underdog or topdog

Featured Replies

Lets try this again.

 

In the last couple of games it seems that Elliott hasn't been the same. Is it because they are playing tougher competition or just not use to having the bullseye on their back as the #1 team (in some polls). My question is does Elliott play better when they are the underdogg (Mason, Beach Ball classic etc.) or topdog (West, Anderson, Rose Hill, etc.)

I think in general it is easier to be an underdog because you have nothing to lose. If you lose it's not a big deal if you are the underdog.

I'd say it has a lot to do with them playing tougher competition. See Holmes, Scott Co, and J'town. They're going through the same thing right now. They all 4 have a HUGE bullseye on their backs and are going to get everyone's best shot night in and night out.

  • Author

Good point! But has the media and people put to much pressure on these kids to win it all. They are now under the microscope state wide and any thing less than a state tournament or great showing in Rupp is not satisfactory to most. I am very proud of these boys but they haven't made it to Rupp yet and have a lot of improvement is still needed to be state champions. It just seems to me that since they have achieved high success in recent months since the beach ball they haven't been the same team I have watched all these years. I could be the only one that sees it though; people do sometime tell me I am blind as a bat.

  • Author
I'd say it has a lot to do with them playing tougher competition. See Holmes, Scott Co, and J'town. They're going through the same thing right now. They all 4 have a HUGE bullseye on their backs and are going to get everyone's best shot night in and night out.

 

I agree! :thumb:

Good point! But has the media and people put to much pressure on these kids to win it all. They are now under the microscope state wide and any thing less than a state tournament or great showing in Rupp is not satisfactory to most. I am very proud of these boys but they haven't made it to Rupp yet and have a lot of improvement is still needed to be state champions. It just seems to me that since they have achieved high success in recent months since the beach ball they haven't been the same team I have watched all these years. I could be the only one that sees it though; people do sometime tell me I am blind as a bat.

 

I see the same things in Holmes. Sometimes a lot of publicity can get to high school kids. They hear and read all this press and it sometimes puts a lot of pressure on them to continue to perform at a high level. As adults, we sometimes fail to realize these are still 16, 17, and 18 year old KIDS. This is the reason that HS basketball is so unpredictable. IMO anyone of those "Big 4" could lose in the first round at Rupp if they don't bring their "A" game.

 

Only time will tell though. Just enjoy the ride while it lasts my friend and be proud no matter what happens in March. :thumb:

I see the same things in Holmes. Sometimes a lot of publicity can get to high school kids. They hear and read all this press and it sometimes puts a lot of pressure on them to continue to perform at a high level. As adults, we sometimes fail to realize these are still 16, 17, and 18 year old KIDS. This is the reason that HS basketball is so unpredictable. IMO anyone of those "Big 4" could lose in the first round at Rupp if they don't bring their "A" game.

 

Only time will tell though. Just enjoy the ride while it lasts my friend and be proud no matter what happens in March. :thumb:

 

For once, we completely agree.:thumb:

For once, we completely agree.:thumb:

 

Glad we finally find common ground. :thumb:

For once, we completely agree.:thumb:

 

Glad we finally find common ground. :thumb:

 

:DSEE Miracles do happen.:D:p

:DSEE Miracles do happen.:D:p

 

:lol::sssh:

 

;)

I think that most teams do better as underdogs, but having watched Elliott Co. play several games the last three years I don't think it will make them play any harder. They play hard from start to finish. I really enjoy watching them play because they have that special chemistry that only happens in small schools once in a long while.We all know they have a shot at the state finals BUT we also know that over the years there have been MANY good teams that have been knocked out early. You have to get a few breaks to get to the finals.:thumb:

I think that most teams do better as underdogs, but having watched Elliott Co. play several games the last three years I don't think it will make them play any harder. They play hard from start to finish. I really enjoy watching them play because they have that special chemistry that only happens in small schools once in a long while.We all know they have a shot at the state finals BUT we also know that over the years there have been MANY good teams that have been knocked out early. You have to get a few breaks to get to the finals.:thumb:

 

I couldn't agree more but I will add that being the favorite or Topdog if you wish puts a target on you back that everyone is shooting for. Your opponents play harder, more inspired and think that they have nothing to lose.

I couldn't agree more but I will add that being the favorite or Topdog if you wish puts a target on you back that everyone is shooting for. Your opponents play harder, more inspired and think that they have nothing to lose.

 

No doubt , that great big bullseye is on them. I would like to see them bring that big trophy back, but there is always that chance they won't get out of the 16th. Thats why they toss it up. Who knows ? :idunno:

I think that there better as a underdog. I really would like to see them bring a title back to the 16th region.

Good point! But has the media and people put to much pressure on these kids to win it all.
I think some of their own fans put more pressure on Elliott County than anyone else by the way they talk up their team in this forum ...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.