Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mick Cronin

Featured Replies

I too think he's the right guy for the job, but I'm wondering if he'll be around much longer. They should be better than they were last year b/c he's had another year w/ all of those kids plus another class that came in. I think he needs to get it turned around this year quickly or he could be gone. I hope they do, b/c who wants to start over?

Mick is not in danger this year or next...

  • Replies 74
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has Mick recruited upto his reputation?

Has Mick recruited upto his reputation?

Given the circumstances I think the first two years were obviously a little down. His first class with a full allotment of time to land them is going to be very good with Gates, Dixon and Wright...

I think Cronin will be around for a while.

Don't always agree with Lance McAlister but he did make a good point in that it seems like Cronin is in danger of losing those fence sitters of fans.

I don't think anyone in their right mind thought this would be easy, and last year may have been a little tease.

Fans do have a right to be frustrated with the effort. Playing hard should be a given and not something that should be consistently questioned by the coach on post game shows. Effort lays at the feet of the coach. Cronin is not getting it from his players.

I think Cronin will be around for a while.

Don't always agree with Lance McAlister but he did make a good point in that it seems like Cronin is in danger of losing those fence sitters of fans.

I don't think anyone in their right mind thought this would be easy, and last year may have been a little tease.

Fans do have a right to be frustrated with the effort. Playing hard should be a given and not something that should be consistently questioned by the coach on post game shows. Effort lays at the feet of the coach. Cronin is not getting it from his players.

Isn't BCG having some of the same issues while rebuilding the UK roster? Give Rekalin Simms and a a blank slate and see where that goes....

Isn't BCG having some of the same issues while rebuilding the UK roster? Give Rekalin Simms and a a blank slate and see where that goes....

He is having some issues with the roster itself. He has been tied down by so few scholarships to give because he inherited a very unbalanced roster.

However, effort and toughness is rarely if ever and issue with them.

Effort, toughness, physicality has been noticeable since Day 1.

He is having some issues with the roster itself. He has been tied down by so few scholarships to give because he inherited a very unbalanced roster.

However, effort and toughness is rarely if ever and issue with them.

Effort, toughness, physicality has been noticeable since Day 1.

 

About what I expected and also hilarious.

 

UC won 8 Big East games last year on talent alone. :lol:

 

Effort, toughness and physicality will be the staple. They just aren't there yet...

Mick didn't get to work with an unbalanced roster including Crawford, Bradley, Meeks and so on. He got Ced McGowan, and Ron Allen.

 

That's pretty strong.

 

Or not...

About what I expected and also hilarious.

 

UC won 8 Big East games last year on talent alone. :lol:

 

Effort, toughness and physicality will be the staple. They just aren't there yet...

Hilarious?

Hilarious is thinking you have to have talent to play hard and give great effort.

I'm not talking talent...I'm talking sheer effort...playing hard.

You don't have to have talent to bust your rear end off on the court.

There is no excuse not to play hard. That is what I said in my original post.

You went in the direction of talent.

Anyone can see the situation he came into...and I agree with you that he is not on the hotseat and will be given a lot of time to work it out.

Cronin has said over and over the last week or two that his team is not playing hard enough not giving the effort.

Look at Indiana. Very very little talent but they are going to bust their butt no matter what. Effort has nothing to do with talent.

Hilarious?

Hilarious is thinking you have to have talent to play hard and give great effort.

I'm not talking talent...I'm talking sheer effort...playing hard.

You don't have to have talent to bust your rear end off on the court.

There is no excuse not to play hard. That is what I said in my original post.

You went in the direction of talent.

Anyone can see the situation he came into...and I agree with you that he is not on the hotseat and will be given a lot of time to work it out.

Cronin has said over and over the last week or two that his team is not playing hard enough not giving the effort.

Look at Indiana. Very very little talent but they are going to bust their butt no matter what. Effort has nothing to do with talent.

 

They didn't win 8 games in the Big East on talent last year. They won 8 games in the Big East based on hustle, effort and toughness.

They didn't win 8 games in the Big East on talent last year. They won 8 games in the Big East based on hustle, effort and toughness.

 

And outside of Vaughn and Bishop all of the key components in that record are gone. How did that group do in its first trip through the Big East? 2-14. Did they just magically get tough over time or is it something that has to be instilled in a roster? At times this year they have given great effort. See the X game for example. They fell behind early and battled back to make it a game...

Hilarious?

Hilarious is thinking you have to have talent to play hard and give great effort.

I'm not talking talent...I'm talking sheer effort...playing hard.

You don't have to have talent to bust your rear end off on the court.

There is no excuse not to play hard. That is what I said in my original post.

You went in the direction of talent.

Anyone can see the situation he came into...and I agree with you that he is not on the hotseat and will be given a lot of time to work it out.

Cronin has said over and over the last week or two that his team is not playing hard enough not giving the effort.

Look at Indiana. Very very little talent but they are going to bust their butt no matter what. Effort has nothing to do with talent.

 

Remind me of Indiana's record

I know he'll be given more time, but I don't think he's ever going to succeed. I know many UC fans that feel the same way.

  • Author
And outside of Vaughn and Bishop all of the key components in that record are gone. How did that group do in its first trip through the Big East? 2-14. Did they just magically get tough over time or is it something that has to be instilled in a roster? At times this year they have given great effort. See the X game for example. They fell behind early and battled back to make it a game...

 

How many years does he get to instill it to a roster that he has had full control over now for a couple of years? They should not be worse than they were last year w/ all of the players being a year older and anouther class in there. It is that simple to me. I think Mick is right for the job, I'm just wondering what they do if they go 2-14.

How many years does he get to instill it to a roster that he has had full control over now for a couple of years? They should not be worse than they were last year w/ all of the players being a year older and anouther class in there. It is that simple to me. I think Mick is right for the job, I'm just wondering what they do if they go 2-14.

Full control of for a couple years? :lol:

 

Year 1: Got the job in late March with ONE player on the roster. It was a chore to even field a team.

 

Year 2: With only one full recruiting cycle he gets in on some big names, but they pick established programs that were recruiting them longer. Still manages to get some talent, but it's 6 four year guys that aren't the type to step in right away and do much. Foundation guys that are now being asked to play heavy minutes before they are really ready for it.

 

Year 3: Gates. Wright. Dixon. Full recruiting cycle produces much better talent, but Wright goes down and there is not a PG. Tried to land several but Walker goes to UConn, Maze to UT and Holloway isn't interested after they get Wright. Varez Ward decommits on signing day and goes to Texas. Again this is the first full recruiting cycle for Mick and his staff and they got major talent.

 

Why were the first two years so tough? There was no one recruiting for UC for 18 months, so when he got here he had no one in the pipeline to even go after and salvage like a Gillispie did with Patterson.

 

Not sure how many times I have to say it before you keep asking the same questions. The Administration knows what he has had to deal with, and he will not be on the hot seat for a while...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.