Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

State Volleyball Tournament

Featured Replies

I like the Kansas concept. I totally agree it is very unfair that top teams are knocked out and weaker teams advance. There skill set is not the same and it is not a level playing field. There has to be a better way of recognizing these top performing teams. Perhaps pool play with 2 teams per Region is something to consider. There are lessons to be learned from the Club seaons, Gold and Silver brackets is not a bad idea at all. Point is, there are options out there so why not consider them. I realize KY can not follow Ohio format since there are many more teams and have various divisions and KY may be unable to support that type of tournament, but there are options. Why can't these be reviewed and considered?

  • Replies 59
  • Views 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

The last year that my daughter played High School Volleyball (2002) was the last year that the regional winner and runnerup advanced to the State tournament . That year Notre Dame and Beechwood were the winner and runner-up of the 5th region respectively . There were only 16 teams in the State Tournament so there were only 8 regions . The next year 2003 the state went to 16 regions and Rally scoring . They doubled the number of regions but only took the winners to the State tournament so that actually more teams were able to qualify for the State tournament even though the number of participants remained the same . They had a chance in 2003 to really enlarge the tournament but didn't .

The last year that my daughter played High School Volleyball (2002) was the last year that the regional winner and runnerup advanced to the State tournament . That year Notre Dame and Beechwood were the winner and runner-up of the 5th region respectively . There were only 16 teams in the State Tournament so there were only 8 regions . The next year 2003 the state went to 16 regions and Rally scoring . They doubled the number of regions but only took the winners to the State tournament so that actually more teams were able to qualify for the State tournament even though the number of participants remained the same . They had a chance in 2003 to really enlarge the tournament but didn't .

 

I have heard that the KHSAA has had several ideas presented to expand the Volleyball State tourney but from what I hear it has fallen on deaf ears. Don't want to talk about kids missing more school days and won't allow Sunday play. I heard one of the ideas was Pool play?????????????

Teams that win their region deserve to be included in the tournament, regardless of how weak that region may be. This means that the state tournament will never have the best 16 (or 32 teams) in the field. The same thing happens in the basketball state tournament and the baseball state tournament. The disparity in the level of play may be more obvious in volleyball than the others, but the argument is the same.

 

Allow me to play Devil's advocate here. While Assumption is obviously one of the best 16 teams in the state, (I would guess them to be third behind Mercy and Sacred Heart), they don't qualify to be in the state tournament. Couldn't we also say that this was the case in boy's basketball last year? Wouldn't Covington Catholic, Bryan Station or Henry Clay also have been among the top 16 teams in the state. Maybe even better than half of the teams in last years field. These are just examples.

 

Although I would like to see Assumption, St. Henry, Louisville Holy Cross and Dupont Manual included in this years state tournament, why would the state tournament for volleyball be handled differently than basketball or baseball?

Teams that win their region deserve to be included in the tournament, regardless of how weak that region may be. This means that the state tournament will never have the best 16 (or 32 teams) in the field. The same thing happens in the basketball state tournament and the baseball state tournament. The disparity in the level of play may be more obvious in volleyball than the others, but the argument is the same.

 

Allow me to play Devil's advocate here. While Assumption is obviously one of the best 16 teams in the state, (I would guess them to be third behind Mercy and Sacred Heart), they don't qualify to be in the state tournament. Couldn't we also say that this was the case in boy's basketball last year? Wouldn't Covington Catholic, Bryan Station or Henry Clay also have been among the top 16 teams in the state. Maybe even better than half of the teams in last years field. These are just examples.

 

Although I would like to see Assumption, St. Henry, Louisville Holy Cross and Dupont Manual included in this years state tournament, why would the state tournament for volleyball be handled differently than basketball or baseball?

 

 

I don't think anyone is meaning that the region winners don't deserve to be included just that people would like to see the State tourney expanded. Volleyball is different than BB or Baseball. It is a sport where 3 and 4 matches can and are easily played a day and on consecutive days.

I totally agree that you have the same argument at different sports but I personally just don't think volleyball can or should be treated the same as Basketball or baseball when there are other options for a sport like volleyball.

 

You will never get All the best teams in the State Tourney even if expaned to 32. I'd certainly like to get more feedback, thoughts, ideas about this. I personally would like to see Region winners and Runner-ups going maybe using pool play, adding a day or something ??

I don't think anyone is meaning that the region winners don't deserve to be included just that people would like to see the State tourney expanded. Volleyball is different than BB or Baseball. It is a sport where 3 and 4 matches can and are easily played a day and on consecutive days.

I totally agree that you have the same argument at different sports but I personally just don't think volleyball can or should be treated the same as Basketball or baseball when there are other options for a sport like volleyball.

 

You will never get All the best teams in the State Tourney even if expaned to 32. I'd certainly like to get more feedback, thoughts, ideas about this. I personally would like to see Region winners and Runner-ups going maybe using pool play, adding a day or something ??

I like the pool play in the state tourney for 2 reasons. You don't necessarily get killed by a bad draw, and the teams get to play more games. Some travel 300 miles to play a 25 minute match. However, I am not in favor of runners-up going to the state tourney. I think it cheapens the idea of playing in a STATE TOURNEY. So, keep it at 16 teams, but have 4 pools of 4 teams each and the winners advance to the semi-finals and everyone gets to play at least 3 matches.

I'm gonna go WAY out on a limb here and say Sacred Heart vs. Mercy in the Final.

 

I'm going out on that same limb!

I wouldn't jump to conclusions too quickly...I think this tournament needs to play out.....without Assumption being in the mix, players are finding that their attitudes, hopes and dreams take on a whole new meaning. With this said, it puts teams that are normally on different levels...more on an even 'playing field'.

  • Author

I think that if you would seed this tournament you would have to seed Mercy #1 , Sacred Heart #2 , and it would be a tossup between NCC and NDA for #'s 3 & 4 .

How far, realistically, can Belfry go?

  • Author

Realistically looking at both Belfry's and Dunbar's schedules I'd say that Dunbar had to be favored in this match . But remember that the match still has to be played and anything can happen . Good luck to both teams !

I wouldn't jump to conclusions too quickly...I think this tournament needs to play out.....without Assumption being in the mix, players are finding that their attitudes, hopes and dreams take on a whole new meaning. With this said, it puts teams that are normally on different levels...more on an even 'playing field'.

 

 

 

My top 4 picks at this point are

1) Mercy 2) Sacred Heart 3) Notre Dame 4) NCC

 

Mercy's only loss was to Assumption but avenged that twice. but Mercy may be down a player still??

Mercy has handled Sacred Heart everytime

Mercy beat ND twice but 2nd time much closer match with ND taking 1 game

ND beat Sacred Heart in 3 close ones.

 

I think Sacred Heart wins their side of the bracket.

ND would get Mercy 2nd round, gonna be a tough match.

NCC should make it to Semi-finals and meet either Mercy or ND

 

Should be a fun tourney but if I had to be pinned down I'd say Sacred Heart vs Mercy in the finals. Only question mark is the injured Mercy player, could be a difference in 2nd round match???????????

Contrats and good luck to all

If it goes chalk, you may be right. IF it happens that way, it will be a closer game than the rest this season. Mercy has won all four matches against SHA season, tough to beat someone 5 times. It will pair two brothers coaching against each other for the 1st time for the title, IF it happens that way.

 

Mercy lost one of it's best players last week (hopefully temporarily) in Madison Hardy, but Freshman Lauren Schneidtmiller has stepped in with two remarkable games in her absence.

 

According to this post it appears that Madison is unable to play the tourney.

According to this post it appears that Madison is unable to play the tourney.

 

I hate to hear about any injuries. Anyone know what grade she is??

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.