Cats Pause 13th Region Top teams and players?

Good top ten, wouldn't suprise me to see Harlan County move up a few places once they mesh with each other. Whitley and LC could give 4 through 8 a real tough game and beat any of them on a given night. 1 through 3 will sure be tough this year!

I am guessing in no particular order:

Madison Johnson

Cody Miller

Matt St. Johns

Shawnta Zachary

Josh Crawford

Josh Sliedell (Spelling)

Guard from Clay Co. (I forget his name)

James David Strange

I am not really sure on who else.

It's Matt St. John, not Johns. And, Josh Seidel.

I was just wondering the thought process behind ranking Harlan County in the top 10 of the region when they haven't played a single game. The three schools that combined weren't very good last year (with the exception of Cumberland) and didn't have much promise in their underclassmen. If someone could clarify this for me I would surely appreciate it. On a different note, the cool weather is giving me the basketball bug already. Can't wait for this season to start.

I was just wondering the thought process behind ranking Harlan County in the top 10 of the region when they haven't played a single game. The three schools that combined weren't very good last year (with the exception of Cumberland) and didn't have much promise in their underclassmen. If someone could clarify this for me I would surely appreciate it. On a different note, the cool weather is giving me the basketball bug already. Can't wait for this season to start.

IMO, this ranking comes from the potential of those three schools coming together and the amount of athletes on hand. Maybe the biggest reason would the type of teams Coach Jones has put on the floor at the rest of his b'ball stops.

It could be because coach Jones has never had a team not finish in the top 10 in the region and has never had a losing season in 20-plus years.

Cumberland was one of the top teams in the region last year, and three of those guys are probable starters for the Bears.

Cawood had a down year, but one of their top two players (center Josh Caldwell) was injured early in the year and he's back now and will start at center. Cawood also split with Middlesboro last year (ranked sixth in the region) and played Bell (ranked fifth) within two or three in the district finals.

Harlan County also has a pretty good group of underclassmen, especially in the ninth and eighth grades.

• 3 weeks later...

How can the defending champs that return three starters and one of the regions best jv teams be ranked second to Corbin, when they beat them three times last season?

Middlesboro and North Laurel are both too high. On paper Middlesboro is as good as anyone, but when it comes down to it we all know what will bite them in the end. Besides Seidell and Wardrup who does North Laurel return that even had varsity playing time last year?