Cats Pause Yearbook- 9th Region

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone who has it post the summary of what is included in the 9th region preview? (Players, rankings, etc.) Thanks in advance.

Here you go:

Teams:

1. Holmes

2. Boone Co

3. covington Catholic

4. NCC

5. St Henry

6. Highlands

7. dixie heights

8. Ryle

9. Newport

10. Lloyd

Players:

1. Ricardo Johnson..Holmes

2. Steven McFardland..Boone Co

3. Elijah Pittman..Holmes

4. Jeremaih Johnson..Holmes

5. Andy Earls..Boone Co

6. Brandon Housely...Holmes

7. Mitch Shover..Covington Catholic

8. stephen Kowolonek..Highlands

9. Shina Giwa..Holy Cross

10. Cameron Speed..St Henry

Here you go:

Teams:

1. Holmes

2. Boone Co

3. covington Catholic

4. NCC

5. St Henry

6. Highlands

7. dixie heights

8. Ryle

9. Newport

10. Lloyd

Players:

1. Ricardo Johnson..Holmes

2. Steven McFardland..Boone Co

3. Elijah Pittman..Holmes

4. Jeremaih Johnson..Holmes

5. Andy Earls..Boone Co

6. Brandon Housely...Holmes

7. Mitch Shover..Covington Catholic

8. stephen Kowolonek..Highlands

9. Shina Giwa..Holy Cross

10. Cameron Speed..St Henry

Thanks for the info Goldie.

Scary thing about that list is Brandon Housely is ranked the 6th best player in the 9th region but isn't even going to start for Holmes. That's subject to change, but at this point 6'3 senior Dom Johnson will be starting over him.

You're hearing it now...watch out for the kid. He is going to surprise a lot of you. He was the one of the best players in his class in nky his frosh year but has had to wait behind the likes of Austin Hill and Arrez Henderson. I see him having a coming out party this year.

BTW...good to see Kowolonek of Highlands get some love. He has worked very hard over the summer improving his game.

Here you go:

Teams:

1. Holmes

2. Boone Co

3. covington Catholic

4. NCC

5. St Henry

6. Highlands

7. dixie heights

8. Ryle

9. Newport

10. Lloyd

Here is how I would rank going into the preseason. Please feel free to fill in likely starters. I don't remember everybody's names offhand, and I'm sure there will be some new talent.

1. Holmes (#1 unless proven otherwise. R. Johnson and Pittman are the keys to how far they go. They are the favorites, but will be beatable IMO if they have an bad offensive game.) (Projected Starters - R. Johnson, J. Johnson, Riley, Pittman, Housely/D. Johnson/Arnold)

2. Boone Co (like Holmes, lots of talent coming back, McFarland is one of the better players in the 9th, talented and deep 2010 class, good 2011 players coming up too in Montgomery and Brown. Coaches and players need to start delivering to potential. Projected Starters - McFarland at 3, Earls at 5, Gabbard at 1/2, Popp at 1/2, T. Brown/R. Cotton at 4).

3. Highlands (Great 2010 class. This class has done well over the years. I think they will play better as a team and rely less on one or two players than the past couple of years. Projected Starters - Kowolonek at 2 or 3, Watson at 4, Lother at 1, Grubbs at 5, and the other 2010 boy whose name escapes me but is a solid defender at 2 or 3)

4. Ryle (A few good players in their 2010 class and a few good ones coming up in the 2011 class. Nichols will be a matchup problem in the half court for a lot of teams. Coleman is also on offensive threat. Projected starters: McLeish at 2, Nichols at 5, Coleman at 3, Ahern at 1, Vollet?? at 4)

5. Cov Cath (lost a lot from last year. Shover won't have a lot of help offensively. Wellbrock is a good rebounder. Projected starters: Shover at 1, Counts at 2, Isler at 5, Wellbrock at F, Thelen at F)

6. St. Henry (Will have a few seniors including Speed and Zumdick, and Bessler will work hard inside. Won't have a lot of size, and will be guard-oriented but could surprise some teams.) (Projected starters: Speed at 2, Hils at 1, Bessler at F, Zumdick at F, and the senior three-point shooter whose name escapes me as a third guard)

7. Newport (must play good fundamental team ball and no one-on-one playground ball) (Projected starters: Daniels at 3, Brewer at 2, Big guy - is it Lother? at 5, Tucker/Greene?/Collins)

8. Dixie (Young, but could surprise a couple of teams. Won't have a lot of size. Projected starters: Raleigh at G, Wes ? at 5, little 2011 PG whose name escapes me at 1, Pompillio?)

9. NCC (Pagnallo is a nice quick point guard. They also have three-point shooter Connor back and a pretty good young 2011 big man coming up who will continue to get better. Projected starters: Pangallo at 1, Connor at G, Meyer? at G, 2011 big man at 5)

10. Conner (could surprise some teams again with their coaching. I believe they have a couple of seniors coming back who will see a lot of action. Avery is athletic. Projected starters: Avery at 3, Stephens at 1)

Here is how I would rank going into the preseason. Please feel free to fill in likely starters. I don't remember everybody's names offhand, and I'm sure there will be some new talent.

1. Holmes (#1 unless proven otherwise. R. Johnson and Pittman are the keys to how far they go. They are the favorites, but will be beatable IMO if they have an bad offensive game.) (Projected Starters - R. Johnson, J. Johnson, Riley, Pittman, Housely/D. Johnson/Arnold)

2. Boone Co (like Holmes, lots of talent coming back, McFarland is one of the better players in the 9th, talented and deep 2010 class, good 2011 players coming up too in Montgomery and Brown. Coaches and players need to start delivering to potential. Projected Starters - McFarland at 3, Earls at 5, Gabbard at 1/2, Popp at 1/2, T. Brown/R. Cotton at 4).

3. Highlands (Great 2010 class. This class has done well over the years. I think they will play better as a team and rely less on one or two players than the past couple of years. Projected Starters - Kowolonek at 2 or 3, Watson at 4, Lother at 1, Grubbs at 5, and the other 2010 boy whose name escapes me but is a solid defender at 2 or 3)

4. Ryle (A few good players in their 2010 class and a few good ones coming up in the 2011 class. Nichols will be a matchup problem in the half court for a lot of teams. Coleman is also on offensive threat. Projected starters: McLeish at 2, Nichols at 5, Coleman at 3, Ahern at 1, Vollet?? at 4)

5. Cov Cath (lost a lot from last year. Shover won't have a lot of help offensively. Wellbrock is a good rebounder. Projected starters: Shover at 1, Counts at 2, Isler at 5, Wellbrock at F, Thelen at F)

6. St. Henry (Will have a few seniors including Speed and Zumdick, and Bessler will work hard inside. Won't have a lot of size, and will be guard-oriented but could surprise some teams.) (Projected starters: Speed at 2, Hils at 1, Bessler at F, Zumdick at F, and the senior three-point shooter whose name escapes me as a third guard)

7. Newport (must play good fundamental team ball and no one-on-one playground ball) (Projected starters: Daniels at 3, Brewer at 2, Big guy - is it Lother? at 5, Tucker/Greene?/Collins)

8. Dixie (Young, but could surprise a couple of teams. Won't have a lot of size. Projected starters: Raleigh at G, Wes ? at 5, little 2011 PG whose name escapes me at 1, Pompillio?)

9. NCC (Pagnallo is a nice quick point guard. They also have three-point shooter Connor back and a pretty good young 2011 big man coming up who will continue to get better. Projected starters: Pangallo at 1, Connor at G, Meyer? at G, 2011 big man at 5)

10. Conner (could surprise some teams again with their coaching. I believe they have a couple of seniors coming back who will see a lot of action. Avery is athletic. Projected starters: Avery at 3, Stephens at 1)

Not bad Wildcat. I'll add a few things.

For Holmes the starting 5 will be:

PG- Riley G/F- D. Johnson G/F- R. Johnson G/F- J. Johnson G/F- Pittman

Arnold and Housley off the bench

For Highlands the starting 5 will be:

PG- Lother G/F- Grote G/F Kowolonek G/F- Watson C- Grubbs

Highlands might be a year away though as the majority of their talent is in the junior class with Kowolonek, Lother, and Grote.

The player whose name you could be missing for Dixie is probably Zeke Pike who will see a lot of varsity as a freshman.

I'd go something like this:

1. Holmes

2. Boone Co

3. Covcath

4. NCC

5. Ryle

6. Highlands

7. St Henry

8. Conner

9. Dixie

10. Newport

I think CCH will be better than some people think. Maile was going to be a big part of that team this year, but losing him won't hurt as much as some think.

CCH will still be a top 3-4 team in the region this year.

I think CCH will be better than some people think. Maile was going to be a big part of that team this year, but losing him won't hurt as much as some think.

Definitely agree, and I also agree with the above post that Counts won't be a two, but I could see him being a three. I could also see Thelen being put at three since I hear he has a nice outside shot and then putting Counts at four and Isler at five.

Nice summary allways enjoy reading your takes.

Regarding Holmes and their potential first 7 or 8. :scared:

Boone is a solid #2 with what they have on paper coming back but chemistry and coaching will be key this season. Popp and Gabbard have great quickness and have played with the best across the country over the past summers. Earls is a solid big man and 2 yr starter and should continue to get better. McFarland is the key here. If he can provide great leadership and scoring this team can go far. Nice supporting cast in Cotton and T.Brown. I believe they have another very good Soph named Montgomery ?? who should see some Varsity time from what I have read on here.

Highlands has some solid fundamentally strong kids coming back with that strong Jr. class. They have some nice size as well with Grubbs, Kellen-Smith, Welz all being 6'5 or taller. I think the key this season will be the PG position and how well Lother can ignite their offense. We know they are going to play very solid tough man-man and most teams wont score more than 50 on them.

Ryle will have a very nice squad with Nichols the big fella leading the way. Coleman will compliment him well and they will outrebound most teams in the 9th. I wonder who will do their scoring though.

I dont think CovCath will stick in the top 5 this coming season though. Top 10 definitely just with Shover coming back and Coach L at the helm. I think they will take their lumps with the always tough schedule and lack of experience.

St. Henry always has kids that play above their ability and they have probably the best coach in the 9th. With the Sr. leadership this season will be a good one.

Newport is my darkhorse only because they have a lot of talent who have played together for the past several years. Darnell will be a Sr and he is a dominant force down low. McDaniel is a lanky athletic player who can score and will always play good defense. If they can get those kids committed and into playing a full season without any ineligablility issues or bad attitudes the rest of that team may pan out as a solid supporting cast.

NCC will be a very good team as well with the versatility they bring. Pangallo is speedy, heady and will create problems for other PG's trying to defend his penetration. Meyer will develop into a very nice scorer to compliment Conner. Conner will probably lead them in scoring with his outside shot. I predice Pangallo will avg 9 assists a game and most of those coming on kick outs to Meyer or Conner from 3pt land. Kid to watch on the blocks this year is the Geisler boy who I believe is a sophomore. He has nice skills and has grown a lot. If they can get him to bang down low by mid season and save a few offensive possessions they will be in the thick of the running for the 9th Region title.

Connor and Dixie are two teams with some nice young talent and very good coaching. I wouldnt be surprised to see them upset some Top 10 teams this year and make a run by Districts.

Cant wait to start the season. Actually cant wait for that Holmes/ Scott Co matchup at Bank of KY Arena. :dancingpa

wildcat- no way J. Counts starts at the 2-guard spot.

If Cov Cath went with Counts, Isler, Thelen and Wellbrock they would have a tough time guarding a girls 7th grade team. Counts and Isler can not play on the perimeter. You cant start 4 power forwards and big men.

It is as big as you may think. Covington Catholic is loosing 6 seniors, their best junior and one of their top sophomores.

This team is going to be lacking depth at the guard and wing positions.

The good news is that the 9th is very balanced after Holmes and Boone County.