Cats Pause Yearbook- 9th Region

Definitely agree, and I also agree with the above post that Counts won't be a two, but I could see him being a three. I could also see Thelen being put at three since I hear he has a nice outside shot and then putting Counts at four and Isler at five.

Wow!! Thelan at the three? No chance. I love Jakes game but he is a power forward with heavy feet. He can step out and hit some shots but would have zero chance of guarding a 3 on the permiter.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice summary allways enjoy reading your takes.

Regarding Holmes and their potential first 7 or 8. :scared:

Boone is a solid #2 with what they have on paper coming back but chemistry and coaching will be key this season. Popp and Gabbard have great quickness and have played with the best across the country over the past summers. Earls is a solid big man and 2 yr starter and should continue to get better. McFarland is the key here. If he can provide great leadership and scoring this team can go far. Nice supporting cast in Cotton and T.Brown. I believe they have another very good Soph named Montgomery ?? who should see some Varsity time from what I have read on here.

Highlands has some solid fundamentally strong kids coming back with that strong Jr. class. They have some nice size as well with Grubbs, Kellen-Smith, Welz all being 6'5 or taller. I think the key this season will be the PG position and how well Lother can ignite their offense. We know they are going to play very solid tough man-man and most teams wont score more than 50 on them.

Ryle will have a very nice squad with Nichols the big fella leading the way. Coleman will compliment him well and they will outrebound most teams in the 9th. I wonder who will do their scoring though.

I dont think CovCath will stick in the top 5 this coming season though. Top 10 definitely just with Shover coming back and Coach L at the helm. I think they will take their lumps with the always tough schedule and lack of experience.

St. Henry always has kids that play above their ability and they have probably the best coach in the 9th. With the Sr. leadership this season will be a good one.

Newport is my darkhorse only because they have a lot of talent who have played together for the past several years. Darnell will be a Sr and he is a dominant force down low. McDaniel is a lanky athletic player who can score and will always play good defense. If they can get those kids committed and into playing a full season without any ineligablility issues or bad attitudes the rest of that team may pan out as a solid supporting cast.

NCC will be a very good team as well with the versatility they bring. Pangallo is speedy, heady and will create problems for other PG's trying to defend his penetration. Meyer will develop into a very nice scorer to compliment Conner. Conner will probably lead them in scoring with his outside shot. I predice Pangallo will avg 9 assists a game and most of those coming on kick outs to Meyer or Conner from 3pt land. Kid to watch on the blocks this year is the Geisler boy who I believe is a sophomore. He has nice skills and has grown a lot. If they can get him to bang down low by mid season and save a few offensive possessions they will be in the thick of the running for the 9th Region title.

Connor and Dixie are two teams with some nice young talent and very good coaching. I wouldnt be surprised to see them upset some Top 10 teams this year and make a run by Districts.

Cant wait to start the season. Actually cant wait for that Holmes/ Scott Co matchup at Bank of KY Arena. :dancingpa

Nice work, as always. I think after Boone and Holmes there are several teams that could make a run to the semi's or even finals of the region.

At this point Holmes looks to be heads and shoulders above the rest of the pack. Boone is a solid #2 but just too much talent and athleticism for any team to really be able to match up with ALL 5 of Holmes starters or even their first 7 or 8.

I really like Ryle, Highlands, and NCC as dark horse teams, especially if Highlands can get a few of the footballers to come out that are supposed to. Outside of Holmes I feel Highlands probably has the most depth in NKY. If Willie uses them right, they may make some noise this year rather than next. That team will run through Grote and Kowolonek though.

I agree though that I can't wait for the Scott Co-Holmes game Dec 14th at BOK Arena.

It is as big as you may think. Covington Catholic is loosing 6 seniors, their best junior and one of their top sophomores.

This team is going to be lacking depth at the guard and wing positions.

The good news is that the 9th is very balanced after Holmes and Boone County.

Wasn't the same thing said the year after they lost Bovard, Jacobs, and co.?

Don't get me wrong, I agree CCH will take their lumps but as far as NKY goes, they have enough young talent to compete this year and be a top 5 team. I personally see them as the best team behind Boone and Holmes.

Ryle, NCC, Highlands, and CCH all have legitimate shots at being in the top 5. I'm not sure any of them can knock off Boone or Holmes but wouldn't be surprised to see it.

Wasn't the same thing said the year after they lost Bovard, Jacobs, and co.?

Don't get me wrong, I agree CCH will take their lumps but as far as NKY goes, they have enough young talent to compete this year and be a top 5 team. I personally see them as the best team behind Boone and Holmes.

Ryle, NCC, Highlands, and CCH all have legitimate shots at being in the top 5. I'm not sure any of them can knock off Boone or Holmes but wouldn't be surprised to see it.

Ryle and Highlands are definitely capable of knocking them off if they don't play well.

It is as big as you may think. Covington Catholic is loosing 6 seniors, their best junior and one of their top sophomores.

This team is going to be lacking depth at the guard and wing positions.

The good news is that the 9th is very balanced after Holmes and Boone County.

I was not aware of a soph not coming back - who are you referring to?

Ryle and Highlands are definitely capable of knocking them off if they don't play well.

I completely agree. But the the key word is IF they don't play well.

It's all about match ups though.

Ryle has the height to match up with Holmes and Boone whereas Highlands doesn't, but outside of Holmes, Highlands probably has the most depth in NKY which would allow Willie to try and wear down the opposing team with his physically man to man defense.

But if both Holmes and Boone play to their potential neither should lose to Highlands or Ryle as both, on paper, seem to be the superior team talent wise.

I was not aware of a soph not coming back - who are you referring to?

Sophomore last year. Matty Klein. Started two guard on the JV team and was probably going to get a lot of minutes this year.

They loose:

Chris Bondick

Chris Roll

Mike Grimes

J.D. Schmerge

Aaron Noll

Luke Maile

Matty Klein

I completely agree. But the the key word is IF they don't play well.

It's all about match ups though.

Ryle has the height to match up with Holmes and Boone whereas Highlands doesn't, but outside of Holmes, Highlands probably has the most depth in NKY which would allow Willie to try and wear down the opposing team with his physically man to man defense.

But if both Holmes and Boone play to their potential neither should lose to Highlands or Ryle as both, on paper, seem to be the superior team talent wise.

I think Boone has some good depth too. They have seniors Andrew Brown and Cory Spaulding who can come off the bench and play hard as a 3/4 and a 2, respectively, as well as a solid third 2010 point guard in Schulze to spell Gabbard or Popp. Lay is a junior who will be able to spell the big men. Thamann, though undersized, will be a good designated three-point shooter in spot situations if left open. Montgomery will be a soph contributor.

I think Boone has some good depth too. They have seniors Andrew Brown and Cory Spaulding who can come off the bench and play hard as a 3/4 and a 2, respectively, as well as a solid third 2010 point guard in Schulze to spell Gabbard or Popp. Lay is a junior who will be able to spell the big men. Thamann, though undersized, will be a good designated three-point shooter in spot situations if left open. Montgomery will be a soph contributor.

Boone does have some depth but how much of a drop off is it when you take Gabbard, Popp, Mcfarland, or Earls out and insert one of those players? Can they compete with other teams starters and keep it close if one of the big 4 are in foul trouble?

How well do those kids coming off the bench match up with say a Brandon Housley or Kevon Arnold who will be coming off of Holmes bench?

Just asking to try and get a little insight on the Boone players I don't know about and haven't heard about before.

Highlands will be able to go 10 deep IMO. They have a very talented 2010 class to complement the few seniors they have this year.

Boone does have some depth but how much of a drop off is it when you take Gabbard, Popp, Mcfarland, or Earls out and insert one of those players? Can they compete with other teams starters and keep it close if one of the big 4 are in foul trouble?

How well do those kids coming off the bench match up with say a Brandon Housley or Kevon Arnold who will be coming off of Holmes bench?

Just asking to try and get a little insight on the Boone players I don't know about and haven't heard about before.

Highlands will be able to go 10 deep IMO. They have a very talented 2010 class to complement the few seniors they have this year.

Their 6-10 players might not be on the same level as Holmes, but compared to several other teams in the region, they have good depth. Montgomery is 6'3" and a good slasher and outside shooter. I would think Cotton and Brown will be very good 6 players who could potentially match up with Arnold and Housely. Cotton is a great shot blocker and has good quickness. Arnold has height over Brown, but Brown will be a bigger overall body and take up more space.

Schulze is smaller than Popp or Gabbard but does a good job.

Boone's freshman team was tops in the area last year, and the JV team finished 17-5.

However, there is probably a significant drop-off if more than one of the starters comes out.

Their 6-10 players might not be on the same level as Holmes, but compared to several other teams in the region, they have good depth. Montgomery is 6'3" and a good slasher and outside shooter. I would think Cotton and Brown will be very good 6 players who could potentially match up with Arnold and Housely. Cotton is a great shot blocker and has good quickness. Arnold has height over Brown, but Brown will be a bigger overall body and take up more space.

Schulze is smaller than Popp or Gabbard but does a good job.

Boone's freshman team was tops in the area last year, and the JV team finished 17-5.

However, there is probably a significant drop-off if more than one of the starters comes out.

Thanks for the insight. I'm looking forward to seeing Boone again this year. As much as everyone talks about Earls, Popp, and Gabbard, at times you forget they also have McFarland. I expect Boone to be a top 20-25 team.

Holmes has a VERY good first 7, but to be honest after that I don't know much about any of their other players. Jaydale Herndon and Willie Slusher I assume will see the floor but that's a significan't drop off after the first 7.

Thanks for the insight. I'm looking forward to seeing Boone again this year. As much as everyone talks about Earls, Popp, and Gabbard, at times you forget they also have McFarland. I expect Boone to be a top 20-25 team.

They SHOULD be a top 20-25 team, but you never know. McFarland is without question one of the top players in the 9th. Sometimes I think Boone plays too many of its players.

So if Holmes has an injury or two or has a couple of players in foul trouble, like any team, they are more beatable. I think the ideal depth is having an interchangeable top 7 and a couple more who can provide solid minutes here and there without a big fall-off.

Do you think Holmes had more depth the last few years?

Wow!! Thelan at the three? No chance. I love Jakes game but he is a power forward with heavy feet. He can step out and hit some shots but would have zero chance of guarding a 3 on the permiter.

Relax, I was just throwing the idea out there, since it is what I had HEARD lol.

They SHOULD be a top 20-25 team, but you never know. McFarland is without question one of the top players in the 9th. Sometimes I think Boone plays too many of its players.

So if Holmes has an injury or two or has a couple of players in foul trouble, like any team, they are more beatable. I think the ideal depth is having an interchangeable top 7 and a couple more who can provide solid minutes here and there without a big fall-off.

Do you think Holmes had more depth the last few years?

For Boone it's probably a good idea to play a lot of kids. It worked well for Holmes last year simply because the next 5 off the bench were somewhat decent to above average, which it sounds like is the case at Boone with the young talent. Boone lacked depth last year which really hurt them against the better teams who played tough man to man D. (Highlands, Holmes)

But as far as Holmes depth goes, I don't think they're anywhere near as deep as they were last year. The one thing they do have though is their top 7 are scary good and IMO better than last year's first 7 which would help in the case of foul trouble or an injury.

Holmes will be considerably bigger this year making them tougher to defend. When Riley and D. Johnson aren't in, you'll likely see Arnold and Housley in there with the big 3. IMO that will be Holmes most difficult lineup to defend as you'll see 6'2 Housely, 6'4 J. Johnson, 6'5 R. Johnson, 6'6 Pittman , and 6'6 Arnold.

For Boone it's probably a good idea to play a lot of kids. It worked well for Holmes last year simply because the next 5 off the bench were somewhat decent to above average, which it sounds like is the case at Boone with the young talent. Boone lacked depth last year which really hurt them against the better teams who played tough man to man D. (Highlands, Holmes)

But as far as Holmes depth goes, I don't think they're anywhere near as deep as they were last year. The one thing they do have though is their top 7 are scary good and IMO better than last year's first 7 which would help in the case of foul trouble or an injury.

Holmes will be considerably bigger this year making them tougher to defend. When Riley and D. Johnson aren't in, you'll likely see Arnold and Housley in there with the big 3. IMO that will be Holmes most difficult lineup to defend as you'll see 6'2 Housely, 6'4 J. Johnson, 6'5 R. Johnson, 6'6 Pittman , and 6'6 Arnold.

I felt that too many players played in Boone's games the last couple of years and that there was a drop-off in talent at times. Maybe this year it wouldn't be as noticeable.