Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best wing in the state

Featured Replies

  • Author
It looks to me like we are talking about the 2-guard spot here more than a small forward, so I would add Barrett Meyer from Franklin County, and Blaine Greene from Middlesboro to the list.

 

Meyer is a very nice player. I really like his game. I haven't seen Greene since before his sophomore year, but he looked pretty good then.

  • Replies 69
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

I made a huge mistake by leaving off Ricardo Johnson

 

1. Jon Hood

2. Gelawn Guyn

3. Ricardo Johnson

4. Jacob Jenkins

5. Shaquille Wilson

6. Aaron Cosby

7. Dion Johnson

8. Tony Kimbro

9. CJ Penny

10. Jeremiah Johnson

 

(I would put Elijah Pittman in with the interior players/big men category.

I made a huge mistake by leaving off Ricardo Johnson

 

1. Jon Hood

2. Gelawn Guyn

3. Ricardo Johnson

4. Jacob Jenkins

5. Shaquille Wilson

6. Aaron Cosby

7. Dion Johnson

8. Tony Kimbro

9. CJ Penny

10. Jeremiah Johnson

 

(I would put Elijah Pittman in with the interior players/big men category.

 

I believe Pittman, Riley, Johnson, and Jenkins played on the same squad in the UK Elite Camp. That was fun to see. Interesting list.

I believe Pittman, Riley, Johnson, and Jenkins played on the same squad in the UK Elite Camp. That was fun to see. Interesting list.

 

The better you play with the better you look.:ylsuper:

Based on what I have saw I would say:

 

1. Jon Hood

2. Gelawn Guyn

3. Jacob Jenkins

4. Shaquille Wilson

5. Aaron Cosby

6. Dion Johnson

7. Tony Kimbro

8. CJ Penny

 

Like a previous poster this seems to be more 2 guards than small forwards. I guess you would have Jonathan Ferguson on down between 9-12?? He is a top 2 guard if not for one reason alone. He is the best long range shooter in the state and one of the top scorers in the state last year. He had a 40 point game last year, many games in the mid 30s, and averaged about 26ppg. He doesn't seem to get the respect of the others because he is from Elliott who? and the fact that he is deemed not to be the athlete of some of the others. Lofton as I remember got the same knock. Just a shooter and that is it. Well Lofton proved a few wrong after 4 years at Tennessee. Ferg is about the same size as Lofton, shoots a lot like Lofton, and have the same athletic skills. I never saw Chris dunk one, but I saw a lot of three pointers go through the basket. Just had to get my plug in for FERG.........

  • Author
Like a previous poster this seems to be more 2 guards than small forwards. I guess you would have Jonathan Ferguson on down between 9-12?? He is a top 2 guard if not for one reason alone. He is the best long range shooter in the state and one of the top scorers in the state last year. He had a 40 point game last year, many games in the mid 30s, and averaged about 26ppg. He doesn't seem to get the respect of the others because he is from Elliott who? and the fact that he is deemed not to be the athlete of some of the others. Lofton as I remember got the same knock. Just a shooter and that is it. Well Lofton proved a few wrong after 4 years at Tennessee. Ferg is about the same size as Lofton, shoots a lot like Lofton, and have the same athletic skills. I never saw Chris dunk one, but I saw a lot of three pointers go through the basket. Just had to get my plug in for FERG.........

 

I do not want to downgrade anyone or put anyone down, but I don't believe he is as good as anyone on my top 10 list. I believe everyone I have listed except for maybe Dion Johnson is going to be a D-1 player. I am not sure about Ferguson. He is a nice player, but no Chris Lofton. He is smaller than Lofton for starters. Also I think players like Jenkins and Hood and Tate Cox just to name a few, could make an argument for best shooter in the state.

I do not want to downgrade anyone or put anyone down, but I don't believe he is as good as anyone on my top 10 list. I believe everyone I have listed except for maybe Dion Johnson is going to be a D-1 player. I am not sure about Ferguson. He is a nice player, but no Chris Lofton. He is smaller than Lofton for starters. Also I think players like Jenkins and Hood and Tate Cox just to name a few, could make an argument for best shooter in the state.

 

No one in the state can score the ball like Ferguson. Hands down the best shooter in the state.

No one in the state can score the ball like Ferguson. Hands down the best shooter in the state.

 

Lets see, how would 16 of 19 from threes (including 8 threes made in a row) in two consective games combined do while averaging 35 in those games? How would 76% from the field and 67% from 3s (6 of 9) in two games against the best seniors in Kentucky while averaging 21 do for shooting?

Lets see, how would 16 of 19 from threes (including 8 threes made in a row) in two consective games combined do while averaging 35 in those games? How would 76% from the field and 67% from 3s (6 of 9) in two games against the best seniors in Kentucky while averaging 21 do for shooting?

 

Thats only two games!!!!! I will admit Jenkins looked very impressive at those games but I do believe Ferguson belongs in the top 10 without a doubt.

Edited by gold sunrise

thats only two games!!!!! I will admit Jenkins looked very impressive at those games but I do believe Ferguson belongs in the top 10 without a doubt.

 

How about 22 first half points against North Hardin and finishing with 33 on just 5 misses? Four straight treys against Fayette (GA) with Noel Johnson in the 4th quarter including one at 30 seconds left to send it to overtime before winning 3rd place in the KOB in a 28 point effort? How about 6 of 9 from threes against Seattle Select's Peyton Siva (UL) and Tony Wroten both top 50 players nationally in respective classes? Just saying. I agree, Ferguson is a legit shooter.

If we are going to talk about top guards that can hit the trey, then we need to add Robert Hatton of GRC. He's one of the best pure shooters around.

If we are going to talk about top guards that can hit the trey, then we need to add Robert Hatton of GRC. He's one of the best pure shooters around.

 

I agree.:thumb::thumb:

Greg Johnson of North Hardin is another tremendous talent. Johnson is a guard certainly worthy of being listed too.

I do not want to downgrade anyone or put anyone down, but I don't believe he is as good as anyone on my top 10 list. I believe everyone I have listed except for maybe Dion Johnson is going to be a D-1 player. I am not sure about Ferguson. He is a nice player, but no Chris Lofton. He is smaller than Lofton for starters. Also I think players like Jenkins and Hood and Tate Cox just to name a few, could make an argument for best shooter in the state.

 

FERG is not smaller than Lofton. They measured him bare footed at the UK Elite Camp and he was 6' and 1.5 inches. Lofton bare footed may be 6' 2 inches. A half inch is pretty much the same size!!! FERG had numerous games this Summer in AAU (against the best competetion in the country and guys much bigger guarding him) where he had 7 or 8 three pointers in games I personally saw. I have seen Lofton play probably 25 games in high school and Ferg play many more than that. I have been watching and playing basketball for 40 years and they are very comparable players. I am not from Elliott County (raised in Mercer County and live now in Garrard County) but I know basketball and basketball players. FERG can shoot with anybody in the state and the country for that matter.

  • Author
FERG is not smaller than Lofton. They measured him bare footed at the UK Elite Camp and he was 6' and 1.5 inches. Lofton bare footed may be 6' 2 inches. A half inch is pretty much the same size!!! FERG had numerous games this Summer in AAU (against the best competetion in the country and guys much bigger guarding him) where he had 7 or 8 three pointers in games I personally saw. I have seen Lofton play probably 25 games in high school and Ferg play many more than that. I have been watching and playing basketball for 40 years and they are very comparable players. I am not from Elliott County (raised in Mercer County and live now in Garrard County) but I know basketball and basketball players. FERG can shoot with anybody in the state and the country for that matter.

 

That does not make him as good as the players I put in front of him in my eyes. I really don't put much stock in AAU and the defense that is played in those games. Ferguson is a nice player, but I don't believe he is as good as a lot of other guys like the ones I have in front of him. Thats just my opinion from someone who isn't partial to Elliott Co. Hes a very good player, but there is a lot of very good players in the state right now.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.