Who's Qualified to Be President

For the first time in my life, I feel like I am as qualified to be President as the two candidates. I have respectable educational and professional accomplishments and I meet the Constitutional minimums for holding the office. Admittedly, I have never been a community organizer or a prisoner of war but I have held public office.

While McCain has years of public service experience on me, Obama doesn't. McCain reminds me of the example given by the garage owner who said that some mechanics have 20 years experience and some mechanics have one year's experience for 20 years. What has McCain done with his years in the Senate?

But for Jim Ryan's ex-wife telling people that he made her go to sex clubs when they were married, Barack Obama would still be an unknown State Senator in Illinois. Ryan dropped out and the Republicans brought in Alan Keyes to run against Obama. For Obama, it was the same as running unopposed.

Are my feelings of being as qualified as these candidates caused by me getting older (42) or by the total lack of substantive choices for President? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be president if I were appointed and that may also be part of the problem. Anybody with anything going on, wouldn't want to trade it for the scrutiny and prison of being the President.

On a related note, I have been grilling people on the names of their elected representatives: city council member, state representiative, state senator, US Representative, US Senator.

Hardly anyone can name them. That is when I tell them that we are getting the government we deserve and that is why we have the choices for President that we do.

Seriously, out of 300 million people, this is the best we can do?

You beat me too it. I think I'm pretty qualified, just give me a few years in law school to better understand the logistics of things, and maybe some time to cut back on the drinking. Though I think law school would definitely put a stop to that. Yea by next election I should be ready to run. I'm gonna bypass my city counsil election and head straight for the presidential.

Either of you spend seven years in the state legislature and four years in the US Senate? If not, you're not as qualified as Obama, but you might still very well be qualified.

That's a rather partisan response to my non-partisan post.

I think my 16 years practicing law, creating businesses and jobs, paying wages, paying taxes and managing millions of dollars in assets makes me MORE qualified than Barack Obama.

What has he done?

What are Barack Obama's real life experiences, as envisioned by the Founding Fathers, that enable him to lead and govern this great nation? For that matter, what are John McCain's?

By the way, I live in Chicago and I know the ilk that call themselves community organizers. They are people who take credit for the work of others. What did Barack Obama organize in any community? I am serious because I don't know.

That's a rather partisan response to my non-partisan post.

I think my 16 years practicing law, creating businesses and jobs, paying wages, paying taxes and managing millions of dollars in assets makes me MORE qualified than Barack Obama.

What has he done?

What are Barack Obama's real life experiences, as envisioned by the Founding Fathers, that enable him to lead and govern this great nation? For that matter, what are John McCain's?

By the way, I live in Chicago and I know the ilk that call themselves community organizers. They are people who take credit for the work of others. What did Barack Obama organize in any community? I am serious because I don't know.

It's certainly not partisan. I think we all agree that McCain has more qualifications than Obama, so if you are not as qualified as Obama, then you are certainly not as qualified as McCain.

I am sure that you are well qualified at what you do and are certainly to be applauded for your efforts. However, it seems that people want to overlook the time that both Obama and McCain have had in the legislature (Obama as both state and national, McCain as a 20 yr+ senator). On the national level they likely understand how Washington works more than the average non-legislator, including me and you.

Have you read any of McCain or Obama's books? There might be some insight there as to what each has done and what motivates each of them.

It's certainly not partisan. I think we all agree that McCain has more qualifications than Obama, so if you are not as qualified as Obama, then you are certainly not as qualified as McCain.

I am sure that you are well qualified at what you do and are certainly to be applauded for your efforts. However, it seems that people want to overlook the time that both Obama and McCain have had in the legislature (Obama as both state and national, McCain as a 20 yr+ senator). On the national level they likely understand how Washington works more than the average non-legislator, including me and you.

Have you read any of McCain or Obama's books? There might be some insight there as to what each has done and what motivates each of them.

I am not debating the better choice between of the two of them (or even the two of them versus me). My point is that out of 300 million people, we have only these two to choose from.

I can name at least 50 people from my sphere of influence that I think would make a better President than either of them.

And, I completely disagree that their years as legislators give them the experience to be President of the United States or that it gives them the life experiences to lead the rest of us. In fact, I think their time in the legislative branch is more of a negative than a positive.

I am not debating the better choice between of the two of them (or even the two of them versus me). My point is that out of 300 million people, we have only these two to choose from.

I can name at least 50 people from my sphere of influence that I think would make a better President than either of them.

And, I completely disagree that their years as legislators give them the experience to be President of the United States or that it gives them the life experiences to lead the rest of us. In fact, I think their time in the legislative branch is more of a negative than a positive.

The only experience Abraham Lincoln had was as a legislator and a lawyer from Illinois.

The only experience John F. Kennedy had was as a legislator and former military experience in the Navy.

Sounds sort of like our two candidates this time.

The only experience Abraham Lincoln had was as a legislator and a lawyer from Illinois.

The only experience John F. Kennedy had was as a legislator and former military experience in the Navy.

Sounds sort of like our two candidates this time.

Neither of those two would be elected today....for different reasons.

In the end, none of the "experience requirements" so many seem to seek are the "real" qualifications to be president.

Constitutionally:

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.

I sometimes think we'd be better off with a monarchy.

I agree, so long as I am the sovereign.

What qualifies someone to be President? No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Seriously. There is no job or line on a resume that will prepare one for the office; there isn’t anything like it. We can only attempt to gauge what qualities we think a successful President would need and determine if those running have them, albeit from afar. Are those qualities even tangible? Different situations call for different types of leaders as well, and those can be situations we didn’t hold for two or three years down the road. At the end of the day, the best we can hope for any candidate for President is for them to be intelligent, reasonable, a leader and likeminded with ourselves with regard to their policies.

In the end, none of the "experience requirements" so many seem to seek are the "real" qualifications to be president.

Constitutionally:

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.

Maybe "qualified" is the wrong term.

I will restate it.

I know a lot of people, including myself, who I think would do a better job of being President of the United States than the two candidates from which we have to choose.