School Vouchers

The chart and data is very liberal in its totals to compare to private education is really a wasted time in addition and subtraction. A couple of cost issues to suggest private schools are more economical - 1) The pay for teachers is about 30% average higher than private schools. That is the case in NorKY. Now, if you wish to debate the merit if teachers should be paid that or less, fine. However, any education establishment will have 75% of their operating expenses in payroll. 2) No services provided by the private school industry. As a rule of thumb there is no transportation costs, alternative school costs, special needs expenses, etc. that are borne by private school operating expenses.

So to compare the operating costs and expenditures and suggest private schools are cheaper, make to sure to add because the private schools do not come close to providing the level of services to its student population.

To suggest otherwise is simply wrong.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anytime you seriously want to talk about alternative education, I am all ears. I am the director/principal of a Day Treatment, and I would bet that we spend a great deal more than 9000.00 on our kids, but I am not about to do a cost estimate b/c it would be too depressing.

I have four children in private schools and I would love to have vouchers to pay for it BUT I also understand that the tax dollars that I pay to support the public schools do benefit me by increasing the value of my home based on the availability and reputation of said schools.

Do we gage education on amount spent or on learning?

In Ky, we spend more and more on education every year. When do we reach the $ level where everyone is educated.

What is educated anyway.

I can read reasonable well, write when I have to, and can do an adequate amount of math. Am I educated? If I am, I went to school during a period when a lot less money was spent on education.

The chart and data is very liberal in its totals to compare to private education is really a wasted time in addition and subtraction. A couple of cost issues to suggest private schools are more economical - 1) The pay for teachers is about 30% average higher than private schools. That is the case in NorKY. Now, if you wish to debate the merit if teachers should be paid that or less, fine. However, any education establishment will have 75% of their operating expenses in payroll. 2) No services provided by the private school industry. As a rule of thumb there is no transportation costs, alternative school costs, special needs expenses, etc. that are borne by private school operating expenses.

So to compare the operating costs and expenditures and suggest private schools are cheaper, make to sure to add because the private schools do not come close to providing the level of services to its student population.

To suggest otherwise is simply wrong.

Would you at least agree that money is inefficiently used in public schools?

Would you at least agree that money is inefficiently used in public schools?

I would say that politicians setup rules for the public education systems to follow that limit the efficiency in which the local district can use the funds allotted to them.

Remember, the local district does NOT get to make freely 100% of the decision on how and when to use the funds allotted to them.

Not all funds they receive can be used the same way and in the same manner and at any time.

I would say that politicians setup rules for the public education systems to follow that limit the efficiency in which the local district can use the funds allotted to them.

Remember, the local district does NOT get to make freely 100% of the decision on how and when to use the funds allotted to them.

Not all funds they receive can be used the same way and in the same manner and at any time.

:thumb: Bingo. With a school voucher system, each district would be allowed to use the money that they have in the most efficient manner possible to attract the most students. Each district is different and they should not be held to the same rules (many of which are ridiculously put on them by politicians). If any money is being wasted, the school district can choose to use it in a different way, or not.

:thumb: Bingo. With a school voucher system, each district would be allowed to use the money that they have in the most efficient manner possible to attract the most students. Each district is different and they should not be held to the same rules (many of which are ridiculously put on them by politicians). If any money is being wasted, the school district can choose to use it in a different way, or not.

Would this include a pay scale reduction of teacher salaries? Is that acceptable in your mind to become more productive?

Would this include a pay scale reduction of teacher salaries? Is that acceptable in your mind to become more productive?

If the district thinks they would be better suited in providing good teachers while the neighboring school districts are paying $5,000 to $10,000 more per year, than go for it, I guess. It would be a stupid decision but go for it, I guess.

Remember also when you reduce teacher's salaries, most of the time, you reduce the minimal salaries of the bus drivers, cafeteria workers, secretaries, and the like and then cannot draw good people to serve in those roles or in case of the cafeteria workers prepare and serve the rolls.:p

I am not encouraging that teachers get paid less (and I am not one to say that teachers don't deserve more) but if teachers' salaries went down (which IMO would not happen) it would not bother me, as long as the schools became more efficient.

However, I don't think that teacher pay would go down. With vouchers, schools would become better overall and bad teachers would be unemployed. Stupid rules from the teachers' union such as tenure would not require schools to pay money to bad teachers. With more efficient usage of money, schools could afford to pay more to attract better quality teachers. With more pay, better qualified applicants would become teachers.

I am not encouraging that teachers get paid less (and I am not one to say that teachers don't deserve more) but if teachers' salaries went down (which IMO would not happen) it would not bother me, as long as the schools became more efficient.

However, I don't think that teacher pay would go down. With vouchers, schools would become better overall and bad teachers would be unemployed. Stupid rules from the teachers' union such as tenure would not require schools to pay money to bad teachers. With more efficient usage of money, schools could afford to pay more to attract better quality teachers. With more pay, better qualified applicants would become teachers.

One of the biggest myths about public education out there.

Our district got rid of a teacher this past year they were unhappy with the last couple of years and that teacher had been teaching for 20 years.

OK.....

Now explain how much more effective and efficient a school will need to become. Outside of payroll, which is 75 to 80 percent of its operating costs, how do you become more efficient - reduce the amount of food kids are allowed to eat while charging more in the cafeteria?:D

What you suggest is NOT the model used in private education currently. If the private school model is so effective then why are their employees so grossly underpaid?:thumb: