Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hiring committees for head coaches

Featured Replies

Is it common practice to have someone from a district or conference school on your hiring committee for a new coach?

Is it common practice to have someone from a district or conference school on your hiring committee for a new coach?

Hey I was wondering the same thing.. I think there has been a little contervosy going on in Owen County over this. They had a AD from a rival school to serve on the hiring committee. Is this what you were referring to?

If you just look at it and see another AD. Then Maybe. But I would guess that poeple from that school need a fresh look at the candidates and they added someone they knew and trusted. No need to jump the gun and think the worst.

Owen County has another school's athletic director on its search committee? Who is it, what school does he represent ... and for what reason?

The AD from Henry Co. sat in on the interviews. I think his name was Gilley.?? Not sure of the name.

Owen County has another school's athletic director on its search committee? Who is it, what school does he represent ... and for what reason?

The principal at Owen is from Henry Co and she had the AD at Henry help them hire a football coach.. BRAVE....

  • Author
Owen County has another school's athletic director on its search committee? Who is it, what school does he represent ... and for what reason?

Yes, He is from Henry Co. N.C.K.C foe! Baseball and Basketball district! He was the principal's coach when she was in school.

If you just look at it and see another AD. Then Maybe. But I would guess that poeple from that school need a fresh look at the candidates and they added someone they knew and trusted. No need to jump the gun and think the worst.

I'm not saying that another AD was all bad, but it is when it's their conference rival. I heard that the ones on the committee had no clue about football. I heard two of them played in high school, but that was it..

The principal at Owen is from Henry Co and she had the AD at Henry help them hire a football coach.. BRAVE....

 

My Gawd....Owen Co. is now, OFFICIALLY, the worst job in the state. If I was interviewing there and they told me, "hey, this is the AD from another school who’s here to help us stumble through our own ineptitude." I would run like a scalded dog.

My Gawd....Owen Co. is now, OFFICIALLY, the worst job in the state. If I was interviewing there and they told me, "hey, this is the AD from another school who’s here to help us stumble through our own ineptitude." I would run like a scalded dog.

Agreed Owen has now made it to the top of the list of...WE DON"T HAVE SMART, KNOWLEDGABLE & ATHLETIC people in our district can we borrow yours to help us hire...Did the AD over there ever play anykind of sports..at this point if he just helped out with a cheerleading squad or something he would know a little. I think it is FUNNY. They have just made their school look bad...Feel for those kids and those who really do care about the athletics over there..

I can't believe a school district would let their AD be a part of the hiring committee for another school. THAT would be much more of a conflict of interest.

 

Having and using mentors is a major part of education, kind of like a journeyman's union. Being a young administrator with limited experience, it would only make sense to get advice from someone whose opinion you trust. Which would be the better way to go about getting the advice, in public, or behind closed doors. That would open up a whole new debate.

What's the difference between this and Mitch Barhardt hiring a consulting firm to help find a coach. UK isn't the only one that has done it lots of Universities hire firms to find the most qualified peersons. I would prefer if nobody in the building has the experience to know what to listen for and what are signs that this person might not know enough about coaching to be succesful. Most interviews are more about getting a feel for the applicant as a person more than they are about x's and o's. You are very fortunate in KY if you are able to form a committee heavy in x and o people. The fact that he is a mentor of the principle and someone she trust takes precident over the fact that he works at another school. I am sure that he consulted with his coach and principle before he committed to it. What's worse having a friend that knows football despite working for the competition on the committee or having the head of the science department who a punt from a fumble

I'm not saying that another AD was all bad, but it is when it's their conference rival. I heard that the ones on the committee had no clue about football. I heard two of them played in high school, but that was it..

Henry Co and Owen Co. are not in the same district or class in football. How they are aligned in other sports doesn't matter.

What's the difference between this and Mitch Barhardt hiring a consulting firm to help find a coach. UK isn't the only one that has done it lots of Universities hire firms to find the most qualified peersons. I would prefer if nobody in the building has the experience to know what to listen for and what are signs that this person might not know enough about coaching to be succesful. Most interviews are more about getting a feel for the applicant as a person more than they are about x's and o's. You are very fortunate in KY if you are able to form a committee heavy in x and o people. The fact that he is a mentor of the principle and someone she trust takes precident over the fact that he works at another school. I am sure that he consulted with his coach and principle before he committed to it. What's worse having a friend that knows football despite working for the competition on the committee or having the head of the science department who a punt from a fumble

:thumb: I think Owen will be happy that they got quality coach out of this. Sounds like there are a lot of hurt feelings from the Good 'ol Boy Club with this hire.

Henry Co and Owen Co. are not in the same district or class in football. How they are aligned in other sports doesn't matter.

 

I also would wager it's not much of a football rivalry either!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.