Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best player at...

Featured Replies

The best I have seen are as follows, I have been watching since the mid to late 80's.

 

Greenup Co. Aaron McGlone

Raceland Ryan McKenzie

Russell Dustin Shaffer

Boyd Co. Jake Sperry, Caleb Stewart, JR Hampton

Ashland Tony Barrow, Aaron McClelland

Fairview Casey Davis

Rose Hill ??

East Carter Jamie Swanagan or KW Sexton

West Carter Mike Burchett

Lawrence Co. Steven Blevins

Paintsville Tucker Howard

Johnson Central Alex Ward, Matt Fyffe

Sheldon Clark Brad Tiller

Morgan Co. John Henderson

Lewis Co. Chad Mefford

Rowan Co. Lorne Frazier

  • Replies 34
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best I have seen are as follows, I have been watching since the mid to late 80's.

 

Greenup Co. Aaron McGlone

Raceland Ryan McKenzie

Russell Dustin Shaffer

Boyd Co. Jake Sperry, Caleb Stewart, JR Hampton

Ashland Tony Barrow, Aaron McClelland

Fairview Casey Davis

Rose Hill ??

East Carter Jamie Swanagan or KW Sexton

West Carter Mike Burchett

Lawrence Co. Steven Blevins

Paintsville Tucker Howard

Johnson Central Alex Ward, Matt Fyffe

Sheldon Clark Brad Tiller

Morgan Co. John Henderson

Lewis Co. Chad Mefford

Rowan Co. Lorne Frazier

 

I like your list, but you are probably a little youger than me, so I would add to yours just a couple.

Didn't Joe Magrane play at Rowan?

Shay Berry at West Carter

Jeff Gilliam at Lewis Co.

Juan Thomas at Ashland

Bobby Trimble was the best player from Raceland IMO.

Jody Hamilton has to be considered.

Steve Rolen should be considered.

Can't forget Sugar Bair from East, homered to win the state championship game in '84.

Ron Mullins from Boyd.

Raceland -Keith Lacks, (imo no question).

Bob Trimble, Chris Vanderiff, Bob Ousley and Michael Hunt are also very high on the list.

Most of the records that the others may have now or were chasing belonged to Lacks.

 

Paintsville - Johnny Lemaster imo would have to be mentioned for the Tigers, he played for years with the S.F. Giants.

 

Russell - Rick Hensly

Greenup County - Steve Scaggs would have to be at or near the top of the list, the kid that was named Ky,'s Mr. Baseball and later coached at GCHS for a while the name slips my mind right now. GCHS's current coach Logan was an awfully good one. GCHS has had quite a few VERY good baseball players through the years.

 

Ashland - Again, the first name slips my mind but the Lynch boys would have to be considered along with Greg Dowdy. (those were just a couple of members of what I think was the team that won back to back State Championships).

Jody Hamilton, Drew Hall and current Arizona Diamondbacks ace Brandon Webb were all very good as well.

Raceland = Keith Lacks, (imo no question).

Bob Trimble, Chris Vanderiff, Bob Ousley and Michael Hunt are also very high on the list.

Most of the records that the others may have now or were chasing belonged to Lacks.

You're absolutely right! I think I recall chasing that batting average and falling short. Like everyone else did.:walk:

David Gaunce and Jim Bloomfield were two of the best that ever played at Lewis County. Gaunce played in the Kansas City Royals organization for years.

GC- Don Gullett (played at Mckell High before there was GCHS, but I would still consider him best from GC.)

 

:thumb: I didn't list Gullet bc he played at McKell before the consolodation of GCHS. You are correct though in that he would have to be considered the best ever from that area although he "technically" didn't play at GCHS.

You're absolutely right! I think I recall chasing that batting average and falling short. Like everyone else did.:walk:

 

:thumb: You were right there with him imo to be considered "best ever".

Lacks (.575 carrer 4yr. BA) is still one of the very best hitters that I have ever seen come out of this area regardless of school. Everything that he hit was a line shot it seemed.

I like your list, but you are probably a little youger than me, so I would add to yours just a couple.

Didn't Joe Magrane play at Rowan?

Shay Berry at West Carter

Jeff Gilliam at Lewis Co.

Juan Thomas at Ashland

 

:thumb:Yes, Magrane did play at Rowan Co.

 

And by the way, welcome to BGP yankeesfan and Rams#84!

It seems hard to name the best player ever at every school, but I will name the best player(s) I played against/with.

 

Greenup Co. - Aaron McGlone / Brad Stultz

Raceland - Brian Fletcher / Matt Bostic

Russell - Kelly Gipson

Boyd Co. - David Kazee

Ashland - Juan Thomas

Fairview - Eddie Dixon

Rose Hill - David Greene

East Carter - They had a kid that set the state record for stolen bases several years ago, but I don't remember his name

West Carter - Shay Berry

Lawrence Co. - Shawn Hill (I remember him because he ran me over @ home plate in the 16th Region Title game in '91 and I still have cobwebs from that collison!)

Paintsville - Tucker Howard

Johnson Central - don't remember

Sheldon Clark - no idea

 

What made these players the best at their respective schools?

 

All sound good although I have to say that you are either too young or I am too dang old, the latter I know to be fact.:lol:

Reason being that I am too old is that I haven't seen some of the ones on your list play or haven't heard of them but that is what makes these kind of threads so good, we get an opinion/perspective from all age groups.

I personally think that Abner Doubleday was the best that I ever saw play..... :eek:.

 

By the way rambackstop, I love your avatar..........:ylsuper:.

I have always been told that Brad Tiller was and will be the best athlete to ever come from EKY area.

David Gaunce and Jim Bloomfield were two of the best that ever played at Lewis County. Gaunce played in the Kansas City Royals organization for years.

 

The best I ever played against from Lewis County was Corky Prater. He was a fantastic catcher and always a tough out at the plate.

Last time I spoke to Brian, he was working construction of some kind, on the road.

 

I think he is actually working @ golf course in the Orlando, Florida area.

The best I ever played against from Lewis County was Corky Prater. He was a fantastic catcher and always a tough out at the plate.

 

:thumb::thumb: Absolutely!!

The best I ever played against from Lewis County was Corky Prater. He was a fantastic catcher and always a tough out at the plate.

 

I believe I heard he was OVC player of the year while at EKU.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.