Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Local official passes away Sunday

Featured Replies

Michael Grimm - 1949-2008

 

Michael Grimm, 58, of Flatwoods, Ky., went to be with the Lord on Sunday, March 16, 2008, in Our Lady of Bellefonte Hospital.

 

Mr. Grimm was born Aug. 29, 1949, in Paintsville, Ky., a son of Dorothy Hill Grimm of Ashland, Ky., and the late Robert Doyle Grimm. He was also preceded in death by one brother, Timothy Grimm.

 

He was a retired lab technician for AK Steel, a U.S. Marine Corps veteran of the Vietnam War, and a member of Elks in Ashland, American Legion in Flatwoods, Kentucky High School Athletic Association and a member of various bowling leagues.

 

In addition to his mother, he is survived by his wife, Junko Mihata Grimm; one son, Kenneth Michael Grimm and his wife, Rosa of Flatwoods; two sisters, Teresa Grimm of Chicago and Jennifer Ross and her husband, Doug of Lexington, Ky.; one brother, Jeffrey Grimm and his wife, Wendy of Ashland; and one sister-in-law, Sandy Grimm of Ashland.

 

Friends may call at 5 p.m. with a memorial service at 6 p.m. Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at the Evans Funeral Home in Raceland, Ky., by the Rev. Susan Alley.

 

Family and friends are invited to the Normal Presbyterian Church on Winchester Avenue, Ashland after services for an informal gathering to share in the life, love and memories of Michael.

 

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Community Hospice or Community Hospice Care Center in Ashland.

 

http://www.dailyindependent.com/obituaries/local_story_077221513.html

  • Author

I have known Mike for quite a few years. He passed away after an extended battle with cancer.

 

Mike has officiated football, basketball, baseball, and softball in North-Eastern Kentucky for many years. I came to know him very well while I was an officer with the Raceland-Worthington JFL, he was the assigning secretary for the officials for the JFL, and Junior High games. Mike was a dedicated official who wanted what was best for the children and wanted them to enjoy their youth sports experience.

 

Mike played minor league baseball in the military, and was an avid bowler, who was quite good. Mike umpired the state softball tournament several years back, and was often seen at youth football, and basketball games doing what he enjoyed.

 

I, as well as, many other will miss his calming nature, and good heartedness at ball games. He will truly be missed. He was a credit to the officiating community, and gave officials a good name.

 

Good buy to a great person, a great official, and a great friend. You will be missed Mike.

Great post RAM you are right about him he was a a good person and will be missed greatly thur out the sports community especially in the Raceland program where he was a big part. He was a big part in me getting started in officiating along with a few others. I know I will miss him. I wish his family the best and prayers goes out to them.

Longtime local sports official Mike Grimm passed away Sunday of cancer. MIke was a longtime football, baseball, and basketball official for the area. I called on the same varsity crew as him this past year in football and enjoyed every minute. He gave countless hours of his free time to local JFL leagues, little leagues, and Bath Ruth leagues. He had the sometimes overwhelming task of providing officials for several leagues throughout the area to insure that the kids could play. He was just a fantastic person and friend who will be missed tremendously and his loss will be felt for years to come in local sports.

God's Speed, Mr. Grimm and thanks for your time and talents. May others follow where you have led!

God speed my friend!! He's playing baseball with his brother right now, I'd bet anything!

 

Or calling the game from behind the plate!!

Mike was a great man, there is nobody that could say anything bad about Mike. Mike brought alot of joy to those around him. It was always fun to call a football game with him. It wont be the same out on the field without him around, but I know he will be in the top of the press box at Raceland' s JFL field making sure there are officials there to call the games and running the clock. we will all miss you Mike, see you on the field in the sky.

Mike was a good guy who always had a smile on his face!!I've had the pleasure of knowing Mike for several years, As he helped bring my children through youth athletics! I to have had the honor of calling several games with Mike through the years. I'll never forget calling a Babe Ruth game at Russell and meeting Mike at the field only to realize he was calling behind the plate using just those little soccer shin guards instead of regular guards I said " Mike you know you're Crazy"! He looked at me and replied " NO CHRIS, JUST A LITTLE WARM!!!" God Speed Mike, you'll be missed by Turk and his family!!!

One of the truly great people I have had the pleasure to meet on a football field. I meet Grimm while coaching JFL football years ago and he has always had a special place in my heart. A man that I always felt loved the kids and loved his job helping teach them the game of football. In JFL, anytime he called a penalty(which was rare to say the least)he always went into the huddle and explained to the kid why he called the penalty. The world and the football field lost a great man. Prayers go out to his family and friends which I know are many.

Welcome to BGP TURK29.

 

Oh, he's been around BGP for awhile. Lurking from the outside with prying eyes!! :D He doesn't post much but I'm sure he wanted to share his experiences with Mike. Mike, Turk, and I have called many many games with Mike. I cannot say enough about Mike as a person. He was a loyal, compassionate, and genuine friend who I will miss a great deal. It will be weird walking onto the field, diamond, or court knowing that he is no longer with us.

Prayers go out to the family and friends of Mr. Grimm.

Oh, he's been around BGP for awhile. Lurking from the outside with prying eyes!! :D He doesn't post much but I'm sure he wanted to share his experiences with Mike. Mike, Turk, and I have called many many games with Mike. I cannot say enough about Mike as a person. He was a loyal, compassionate, and genuine friend who I will miss a great deal. It will be weird walking onto the field, diamond, or court knowing that he is no longer with us.

 

I agree 100% he will be misssed.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.