Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Black Magic

Featured Replies

OK. I couldn't understand why the white people would be cheering JFK's death. MLK made more sense at first glance.

 

... because JFK was Catholic.

... because JFK was Catholic.

 

Not quite how they phrased it on the show.

Not quite how they phrased it on the show.

 

Indeed. Sympathy for the plight of the black man + Roman Catholicism = Communist Traitor of the highest order in much of 1960s America. Still does today to many.

OK. I couldn't understand why the white people would be cheering JFK's death. MLK made more sense at first glance.

 

Because people forget that JFK Federalized the National Guard to desegregate the schools (particularly Alabama). JFK was hated by the Jim Crow South. Not all Southerners were racist segregationists but the vocal group in power most defnitely were.

Yeah, that bothered me as well. And people wonder why I always throw a wet blanket on those "good 'ol days ..." threads over in GD.

 

You could certainly couch the controversy with Cliff Hagan and the others on the Hawks as they were just protecting their best interests and preserving their star status. But at the same time you can't help but note that it is one other person with an association to UK that has been cast in a racist light.

 

 

I hear where you are going but I can't say it's just relegated to UK. Alabama did not dress out a Black football player until 1971, the same year as UK did in basketball. But Rupp gets castigated more than Bear Bryant. Darrell Royal likewise did not add a black player until the early 70's.

 

Hagan may deserve the derision but that same UK program had no problem playing teams with African-Americans on them even if they themselves had none on their teams. (Counter that next to Alabama and Miss State who refused NCAA bids so their teams would not play integrated squads.) UK has not got a good track record in this arena but it's not as bad and is in some cases better than other "big name" coaches and schools of that era.

I thought it was a very good show, good to know the history. Its good for the kids as well to know some of the plight being faced by some, but it was the piece on Bob Love that touched me the most, his handicap, and how he has overcome. It really changed his life until he found help. Very good show.

The Bob Love story is a great story.

 

I may be wrong but I think Dr. Sellers (the one who was shot at SC State and charged with a crime) has a son who is now a state congressman in South Carolina.

 

I swear I've seen Pee Wee Kirkland before but can't remember where.

 

Outstanding documentary. ESPN needs more of these.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.