Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sweet 16 a Small School Tourny???

Featured Replies

True. You could probably win the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th regions with the 5th best team in the 6th, 7th, and 11th regions.
I can see your point because Johnson Central made it to the finals with a loosing record in the 15th, and Prior to the Tournament they were rated around 6th or 7th in the 15th region. The paticular regions you mention would have had a hard time beating Paintsville and Shelby Valley with their 5th best team. I know paintsville Beat Tates Creek earlier in the year and that was the 11th regions 5 or 6th best team and Jtown was nearly beaten by Shelby Valley at Jtown and thats the best team from the 7th. Shelby Valley also beat Male one of the favorites from the 7th region. I can't really speak for the 13th and 14th but Hazard from the 14th is as dangerious as anyone in this tournament.
The reason there aren't many big schools is because most of the big schools play in the same regions and only one team makes it out of each region.

 

As WestKy pointed out.

 

True. You could probably win the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th regions with the 5th best team in the 6th, 7th, and 11th regions.

 

I see what you are saying, it gets tossed around every year....:argue:

 

Each school gets their chance. You either make it to the Sweet 16 or you don't.

I can see your point because Johnson Central made it to the finals with a loosing record in the 15th, and Prior to the Tournament they were rated around 6th or 7th in the 15th region. The paticular regions you mention would have had a hard time beating Paintsville and Shelby Valley with their 5th best team. I know paintsville Beat Tates Creek earlier in the year and that was the 11th regions 5 or 6th best team and Jtown was nearly beaten by Shelby Valley at Jtown and thats the best team from the 7th. Shelby Valley also beat Male one of the favorites from the 7th region. I can't really speak for the 13th and 14th but Hazard from the 14th is as dangerious as anyone in this tournament.

Maybe I should have said 3rd best team.:D 5th best may be stretching it a little bit.

 

Anyway, everyone deals with the region they're assigned. Obviously some are going to be stacked and others not, but there has to be 16 reps at the Sweet 16, regardless of region strength. However, I have seen some messy blowouts at the tournament when some of these mismatches occur between power region and weak region teams.

Maybe I should have said 3rd best team.:D 5th best may be stretching it a little bit.

 

Anyway, everyone deals with the region they're assigned. Obviously some are going to be stacked and others not, but there has to be 16 reps at the Sweet 16, regardless of region strength. However, I have seen some messy blowouts at the tournament when some of these mismatches occur between power region and weak region teams.

 

Personally, as uneven as the Sweet 16 appears to be every year, I've always liked the disparity in team strengths that brings on all kinds of unpredictable scenarios, even though mostly the strong teams usually prevail. It's still exciting for the teams, as well as the fans, to attend the tourney having high hopes of a few magical cinderella moments. Everybody likes to see the little guy have his day in the sun every once in awhile even if the magic doesn't completely last for 4 games. Sometimes it does though, and those Sweet 16 memories tend to be the most lasting. 2000 E-Town stands right up there in the 'who knew?' category. I remember seeing some of the team having breakfast in Lexington first day of tourney thinking "I guess this will be a quick trip for these guys". Little did I know. In 2002 I saw a state final where Lex Cath murdered a really decent Paducah team, so in this, blowouts can also come when powerhouses meet when everyone expected a close game. The Sweet 16 is full of surprises and I think that's what makes it so exciting. I guess there's many ways that Kentucky High School Basketball can be rethought out, and without trying to sound as if I'm resistant to change, I just think in this case, the elements that the Sweet 16 have traditionally brought, and is a dying breed, is capable of giving more goose bumps than by just going the ways of the world. There may never be a 'perfect on paper' method to running the Sweet 16, but all I know is that the way that it is run now, as it has always been, is about as close to basketball heaven as it can get. Ain't nuttin' like it in the world. :thumb:

Personally, as uneven as the Sweet 16 appears to be every year, I've always liked the disparity in team strengths that brings on all kinds of unpredictable scenarios, even though mostly the strong teams usually prevail. It's still exciting for the teams, as well as the fans, to attend the tourney having high hopes of a few magical cinderella moments. Everybody likes to see the little guy have his day in the sun every once in awhile even if the magic doesn't completely last for 4 games. Sometimes it does though, and those Sweet 16 memories tend to be the most lasting. 2000 E-Town stands right up there in the 'who knew?' category. I remember seeing some of the team having breakfast in Lexington first day of tourney thinking "I guess this will be a quick trip for these guys". Little did I know. In 2002 I saw a state final where Lex Cath murdered a really decent Paducah team, so in this, blowouts can also come when powerhouses meet when everyone expected a close game. The Sweet 16 is full of surprises and I think that's what makes it so exciting. I guess there's many ways that Kentucky High School Basketball can be rethought out, and without trying to sound as if I'm resistant to change, I just think in this case, the elements that the Sweet 16 have traditionally brought, and is a dying breed, is capable of giving more goose bumps than by just going the ways of the world. There may never be a 'perfect on paper' method to running the Sweet 16, but all I know is that the way that it is run now, as it has always been, is about as close to basketball heaven as it can get. Ain't nuttin' like it in the world. :thumb:

 

Good post. :thumb:

Shelby County--1,710

Greenwood--1,627

South Laurel--1,296

Lincoln County--1,150

Owensboro--1,108

Jeffersontown--1,050

Holmes--1,000

Central--1,000

Lexington Catholic--865

Paducah Tilghman--806

Mason County--786

Bardstown--540

Elliott County--312

Hazard--286

Paintsville--232

University Heights--113

 

It still amazes me how many folks seem to think that Mason County is a "big school". In terms of school size, middle of the pack in the 10th region and only 5 schools in this year's Sweet 16 are smaller.

 

Good post by B-Ball-fan. I think that a lot would be lost if the Sweet 16 went to classes, or even worse, the "top 16 teams in the Commonwealth" were the only squads invited.

It still amazes me how many folks seem to think that Mason County is a "big school". In terms of school size, middle of the pack in the 10th region and only 5 schools in this year's Sweet 16 are smaller.

 

Good post by B-Ball-fan. I think that a lot would be lost if the Sweet 16 went to classes, or even worse, the "top 16 teams in the Commonwealth" were the only squads invited.

 

You have to admit, Mason is big for its immediate area. Aren't all the other schools surrounding it a fraction of Mason's size, and doesn't it dwarf those in its district?

You have to admit, Mason is big for its immediate area. Aren't all the other schools surrounding it a fraction of Mason's size, and doesn't it dwarf those in its district?

 

Much bigger than the rest of the schools in the 39th. In the 10th, several are larger - Clark, Montgomery, Campbell, Harrison, Pendleton, Scott; not sure about Bourbon.

 

I heard a great quote today - it isn't a dance without Cinderella.

Personally, as uneven as the Sweet 16 appears to be every year, I've always liked the disparity in team strengths that brings on all kinds of unpredictable scenarios, even though mostly the strong teams usually prevail. It's still exciting for the teams, as well as the fans, to attend the tourney having high hopes of a few magical cinderella moments. Everybody likes to see the little guy have his day in the sun every once in awhile even if the magic doesn't completely last for 4 games. Sometimes it does though, and those Sweet 16 memories tend to be the most lasting. 2000 E-Town stands right up there in the 'who knew?' category. I remember seeing some of the team having breakfast in Lexington first day of tourney thinking "I guess this will be a quick trip for these guys". Little did I know. In 2002 I saw a state final where Lex Cath murdered a really decent Paducah team, so in this, blowouts can also come when powerhouses meet when everyone expected a close game. The Sweet 16 is full of surprises and I think that's what makes it so exciting. I guess there's many ways that Kentucky High School Basketball can be rethought out, and without trying to sound as if I'm resistant to change, I just think in this case, the elements that the Sweet 16 have traditionally brought, and is a dying breed, is capable of giving more goose bumps than by just going the ways of the world. There may never be a 'perfect on paper' method to running the Sweet 16, but all I know is that the way that it is run now, as it has always been, is about as close to basketball heaven as it can get. Ain't nuttin' like it in the world. :thumb:

I agree with everything you say.:thumb: Coming from a small mountain county school, enrollment 230 and the only high school in the county, I would be the happiest person in the world if we could ever make it to the Sweet 16. We've been runner-up twice in our region, but that's as close as we've been. If we could make it I wouldn't care who we played the first round, mismatch or not.

I agree with everything you say.:thumb: Coming from a small mountain county school, enrollment 230 and the only high school in the county, I would be the happiest person in the world if we could ever make it to the Sweet 16. We've been runner-up twice in our region, but that's as close as we've been. If we could make it I wouldn't care who we played the first round, mismatch or not.

 

 

I got goose bumps just reading your post. I also get goose bumps every time I see a team run onto Rupp Arena's court for the first time knowing that this great memory will stay with them for the rest of their lives. It's a great feeling for everyone, powerhouses and especially for a small school making their first ever trip. I've never attended a Sweet 16 without experiencing a 'good feeling lump in the throat' at least once or twice before it's over. Besides great basketball, I'm sure it's what keeps me coming back year after year. Good luck to your team and maybe one day they'll have their day in the sun too. :thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.