Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Player of the Year

Who is the player of the year? 28 members have voted

  1. 1. Who is the player of the year?

    • Tyler Hansbrough (North Carolina)
      53%
      15
    • Michael Beasley (Kansas State)
      46%
      13
    • Other (please list the player if you choose this option)
      0%
      0

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

All the talk centers around Beasley and Hansbrough...it seems the consensus of what I read is this:

 

Most people vote for Hansbrough simply because they think he plays harder and has maximized his talent, but when comparing the players all of them say Beasley is better. It seems stupid to me...

 

I say Beasley is the best player and deserves the award. Plain and simple.

 

What say you? And is there anyone else who needs to be considered?

  • Replies 30
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you factor how good their teams are when deciding?

All the talk centers around Beasley and Hansbrough...it seems the consensus of what I read is this:

 

Most people vote for Hansbrough simply because they think he plays harder and has maximized his talent, but when comparing the players all of them say Beasley is better. It seems stupid to me...

 

I say Beasley is the best player and deserves the award. Plain and simple.

 

What say you? And is there anyone else who needs to be considered?

 

I see your point but I look at it like this. Beasley is clearly the most talented but the award isn's based on talent and potential. It is based on who has the numbers as well as who does the things that don't show up on paper. I think because of the fact that Hansbrough always gives it his all and that there isn't anyone in the country who gives more effort plus the fact that his the numbers to match it is why he got the votes. That was hard for me to say because for some reason I really don't like watching him play, but even I notice that he is always giving 100%.

Do you factor how good their teams are when deciding?

 

I think you have to. Hansbrough is the best player and the leader of the best team in the country. Beasley is an amazing talent and will be an all-star in the NBA! I think the POY is Hansbrough, without question.

On this site it will be Beasley. While I think he should win it, I don't know if this is a good judgment because it will be skewed due to the hatred for Hansbrough.

On this site it will be Beasley. While I think he should win it, I don't know if this is a good judgment because it will be skewed due to the hatred for Hansbrough.

 

I don't hate Hansbrough. I think he's a great ballplayer. Now if he played for Duke...

  • Author
Do you factor how good their teams are when deciding?

 

Maybe to some degree, but, IMO, that would only be a huge factor if K-State was a losing team. As it is, they're headed for the big dance for the first time in more than 15 years and they've had some pretty good wins this season.

 

I look at how good they are first. Then, I look at how their respective teams are doing and try to guess how good they'd be if you took these guys away. UNC certainly would miss Hansbrough, but they have a lot of talent...IMO, they would still be a pretty good team without him, and possibly a very good team because they have some talented guys who could very well step up and pick up the slack. Without Beasley, K-State would be terrible and they have no one who could possibly replace his production...

 

Beasley is the hands down, no brainer choice for the award. But, it seems like he's not going to win it because of the love for Hansbrough by the media...

K State would be a 10 win team at best without Beasley. UNC would be a 3 seed without Psycho T...

I vote Michael Beasley not out of hatred for Tyler, but because Beasley makes the game look extremely extremely easy and is literally a man among boys...

  • Author
I see your point but I look at it like this. Beasley is clearly the most talented but the award isn's based on talent and potential. It is based on who has the numbers as well as who does the things that don't show up on paper. I think because of the fact that Hansbrough always gives it his all and that there isn't anyone in the country who gives more effort plus the fact that his the numbers to match it is why he got the votes. That was hard for me to say because for some reason I really don't like watching him play, but even I notice that he is always giving 100%.

 

I disagree...talking about Beasley isn't based on talent and potential. He has delivered the goods. His stats are better. He has carried his team all season...when teams play K-State they know Beasley is the guy and no one can stop him. Obviously, Hansbrough is the focus in UNC, but he is surrounded by talented players all the way down the bench...if you focus too much on him, that team has plenty of other guys who can make you pay. Beasley doesn't have that option...

 

Granting the award because you think a guy plays hard all the time is absurd. I'm sure Beasley plays hard as well...put him on a top 10 or 15 squad or put "sophomore" by his name and this isn't even a discussion, IMO.

  • Author
K State would be a 10 win team at best without Beasley. UNC would be a 3 seed without Psycho T...

 

My point exactly...this shouldn't even be a debate.

 

The reason I started this thread is because it's the top story on espn.com...I clicked and started reading. The impression I get is that the guys who voted for Hansbrough simply did it because they like him better, for one reason or another...but none of them could say he was better.

 

Here are some of the reasons for Psycho T (as they say)...

 

1. Hansbrough's heart is bigger (Jay Bilas)

2. He is the only player in the country who plays hard all the time, on both ends of the floor and on every possession in games, practice, shootarounds, and pickup ball. (Hubert Davis)

3. He could have gone pro after his freshman season, and I want to applaud a kid that stayed in school to continue his development on and off the court. (Hubert Davis)

4. ...you will see a player who has worked insatiably to improve himself and maximize his potential; who revels in team success and never does a thing to detract from it; and who simply plays harder than anyone else. (Pat Forde)

5. To me, a national player of the year candidate should be the main reason a team is an elite team. (Fran Fraschilla)

6. Tyler Hansbrough has been the most consistent star player on an elite team this season. (Andy Katz)

7. Sure, UNC has more talented supporting players than Kansas State, but Hansbrough still had to do more. (Are you kidding me, Andy Katz? What a joke.)

8. Nobody in the country plays harder or better in the biggest games than Psycho T. (Mark Schlabach)

 

 

This is ridiculous. How can guys repeatedly start out by saying Beasley is the best player and a man among men...

 

...but, I give the award to Tyler Hansbrough because he plays harder. :rolleyes:

 

 

Here's the link...

 

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3280211

  • Author

I have to give some credit to Andy Glockner, Doug Gottlieb, and Reggie Ranking...at least they had enough sense to pick Beasley.

I disagree...talking about Beasley isn't based on talent and potential. He has delivered the goods. His stats are better. He has carried his team all season...when teams play K-State they know Beasley is the guy and no one can stop him. Obviously, Hansbrough is the focus in UNC, but he is surrounded by talented players all the way down the bench...if you focus too much on him, that team has plenty of other guys who can make you pay. Beasley doesn't have that option...

 

Granting the award because you think a guy plays hard all the time is absurd. I'm sure Beasley plays hard as well...put him on a top 10 or 15 squad or put "sophomore" by his name and this isn't even a discussion, IMO.

 

I never said Beasley didn't put up great numbers. They both put up great numbers. I also never said he didn't play hard. But the media has built up the image of Hansbrough as being the hardest worker in the country, which could be true with how well he has maximized his ability. All I was saying is that the award shouldn't be based merely on who is more talented as you were talking about in the original post.

Do I think Psycho T is better than Beastley? No freaking way...

  • Author
I never said Beasley didn't put up great numbers. They both put up great numbers. I also never said he didn't play hard. But the media has built up the image of Hansbrough as being the hardest worker in the country, which could be true with how well he has maximized his ability. All I was saying is that the award shouldn't be based merely on who is more talented as you were talking about in the original post.

 

:thumb:

 

I should have elaborated more in the initial post, but I think I addressed it in post #7.

 

Beasley is clearly the better player...even the people who voted for Hansbrough admitted that. But it's not just that...the impact he has on his team is bigger and he's more important to his team.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.