March 3, 200818 yr The only response I have for this is the same stuff was said about both Drew Brees and Tony Romo. I don't know for certain that Ancerson is the answer, but I like what I saw over the course of the sason. Both those guys impressed me more in their breakout years than Anderson did. With both Brees and Romo, I didn't feel that they were one year wonders, like I do with Anderson. I could be wrong because it is just my opinion, but I guess we will see when the season starts.
March 3, 200818 yr Actually it was like 10 days ago!:thumb: With all the recent signings around the league, it seems like a month ago.
March 3, 200818 yr I give the Browns a lot of credit for getting out and bringing in guys that could help them become a much better team BUT there are a couple of things that could blow up on them bigtime IMO. First off they are in a no win situation at QB. Some folks want Quinn now. If you go that route + trade Anderson and he continues to win then you are in a serious mess! If you get rid of Quinn (he blows up) and Anderson flops then you are in a mess! If you keep them both then you are wasting A LOT of money and missing out on a really nice player or two that you could have swapped for. The situation reminds me of Brees+Rivers. Looking at a couple of pickups they look great on the surface BUT Rogers could be a huge flop. I think he will produce early but I don't know that he has the will power to control his weight. If he does then what a deal the Browns got. Stallworth is an upgrade IMO whoever Jabar Gaffeny beat him out of his spot with the Pats by the end of the year. Stallworth has a lot of upside but he hasn't lived up to his potential I don't think coming out of Tenn. He has been pretty good but they locked him up to a LONG contract which could go either way. I would be excited if I were a Browns fan. There is a lot of good things going on starting with a solid Head Coach IMO. These moves can go either way IMO. It's going to be fun to watch.
March 3, 200818 yr The Defensive front has improved, but losing Bodden will hurt. Anderson struggled down the stretch, even against the Bengals' defense. Lewis is aging; it was his first really good year in a while. And theres no reason to think Jamal cant do it again this year. He was an absolute truck last year. Anderson had a bad game against Cincy... everyone has them from time to time. Losing Bodden won't be that bad, it will basically be like trading Wright for Bodden, since Wright was hurt most of last year anyway. So we are in the same situation as last year, that is, only one true starter at corner. The difference this year will be that the DBs shouldn't have to cover the WRs for 14 seconds. We will be getting pressure this year.
March 3, 200818 yr The future....not having draft picks in the first three rounds certainly is not helping the future. Teams spending big in free agency don't win Super Bowls. There was no way we were going to pick up anyone better in rounds 2 and 3 than Williams and Rogers.
March 3, 200818 yr Here is what I am basing it on. He started to struggle some down the stretch. To begin the year teams definitely didn't know what to expect when they played the Browns and wasn't ready for a good offense. Now teams have a whole off season to prepare for the Browns. I mean it was kind of like the Bengals offense in 2005, it really surprised people, and ever since that year we have started to go down a little bit. Not to mention the Browns started to show this a little at the end of the year, teams started to figure out Anderson a little bit, and we started to see him struggle at the end of the year. I see next year him going back to being very ordinary and struggling. Then you would have people calling for a QB change and all of that great stuff. So I really do think around the 8th or 9th game of the year, that we will see Quinn at QB IMO. Anderson has accuracy problems, thats a known fact. He also has brain farts from time to time (IE Kellen has 5 guys on him, but I'm throwing to him anyway). He had a really bad game against Cincy. But that doesn't mean his whole season was meant nothing. The last 7 games, we went 5-2. Anderson had no great games during that stretch but had several good games and then a BAD game versus cincy.
March 4, 200818 yr Anyone know what the status of Lecharles Bentley is for 2008? He's still rehabbing. Savage said a while back that LeCharles is planning on participating in OTAs and such and the club will see where he is at. FWIW, Cleveland and LeCharles worked out a restructured deal that will end in 2008. Unfortunately, its not looking good for him. The staph infection did too much damage.
March 7, 200818 yr What do you guys think happened to Wimbley last year? Do you think he comes back to dominate in his 3rd season. Sophomore Slump?
March 7, 200818 yr And theres no reason to think Jamal cant do it again this year. He was an absolute truck last year. Anderson had a bad game against Cincy... everyone has them from time to time. Losing Bodden won't be that bad, it will basically be like trading Wright for Bodden, since Wright was hurt most of last year anyway. So we are in the same situation as last year, that is, only one true starter at corner. The difference this year will be that the DBs shouldn't have to cover the WRs for 14 seconds. We will be getting pressure this year. So Bodden was proven, and Wright is not; that would leave you with no proven corners.
March 7, 200818 yr There was no way we were going to pick up anyone better in rounds 2 and 3 than Williams and Rogers. Williams is a very good pass rusher, but is a little suspect against the run. You are making a big assumption that Rogers will be in shape and will play hard all the time. For 2008 you are correct, but I am interested in my team long after that; there is no way I would want the Bengals to give up 3 rounds of draft picks for veterans. You have to admit it is uncommon to do so; I can't remember any team ever doing that in the past, except for Ditka being willing to give up his entire draft.
March 7, 200818 yr Anderson has accuracy problems, thats a known fact. He also has brain farts from time to time (IE Kellen has 5 guys on him, but I'm throwing to him anyway). He had a really bad game against Cincy. But that doesn't mean his whole season was meant nothing. The last 7 games, we went 5-2. Anderson had no great games during that stretch but had several good games and then a BAD game versus cincy. Only time will tell; Cleveland is a bad game or two from being mired in a QB controversy....(especially if it happens early).
March 8, 200818 yr So Bodden was proven, and Wright is not; that would leave you with no proven corners. Wright played well at the end of the season, once he got healthy. Again, I am not as worried about the DBs as we will finally get some pressure, that will help alot.
March 8, 200818 yr Williams is a very good pass rusher, but is a little suspect against the run. We just need him to get some push and occupy blockers. You are making a big assumption that Rogers will be in shape and will play hard all the time. I think he'll be fine. I see know reason why he wouldn't be motivated. In his press conference after signing his deal, he continually talked about how excited he was in Cleveland and how happy to be out of Detroit. For 2008 you are correct, but I am interested in my team long after that; there is no way I would want the Bengals to give up 3 rounds of draft picks for veterans. We are in the position to win now. We traded away ONE year in the draft to get quality help NOW. Its not like we traded away the next 5 years. We still have all our 09 picks, we will be fine. Besides, as I said, no one in rounds 2 and 3 will help us more than Williams and Rogers. You have to admit it is uncommon to do so; I can't remember any team ever doing that in the past, except for Ditka being willing to give up his entire draft. We are in the position to win NOW. Our offense is set, it was our D that killed us last year. We have taken steps to help our D and that will hopefully pay off this year.
March 8, 200818 yr Only time will tell; Cleveland is a bad game or two from being mired in a QB controversy....(especially if it happens early). Every club is a game or two from being in a QB controversy. I think we'll be just fine.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.