Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2008 Newport

Featured Replies

What does Newport need to do to improve in 2008? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.

  • Replies 56
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor numbers in the Senior Class in 2007 really hurt the Cats...I know they have some athletic Sophomores on the way! I believe they will be much improved in 2008 and should be back in the Class AA playoff picture.

Who are the top returning players for the Cats in 08?

Has there been any off-season staff changes?

Poor numbers in the Senior Class in 2007 really hurt the Cats...I know they have some athletic Sophomores on the way! I believe they will be much improved in 2008 and should be back in the Class AA playoff picture.

Who are the top returning players for the Cats in 08?

Has there been any off-season staff changes?

Jeff Smith, Daniel Kim, Willie Price, Jacob Ilg, Cody Short, Sam Schwalbach all contributed last season and will be back.....Marsean Oden (if back) could make a big difference on both sides of the ball. Freshmen class has good talent, so that should help.

 

Truly feel Coach Hyder will learn from last season and do a great job in 2008!

If these boys are back I would like to see Jordan Hatfield at QB, Cody Short RB, Brandon Housley WR on the offense side.They will also get some help from some young talent.

Whatever happened to Arkansas Brewer?

If these boys are back I would like to see Jordan Hatfield at QB, Cody Short RB, Brandon Housley WR on the offense side.They will also get some help from some young talent.

 

IMO -- Willie Price should be the QB and yes Short showed some talent n the backfield in the JV games so he might be a good short yardage back. I thought Housley, Oden and Brewer all quit the team. If I was the coach I wouldn't waste my time with them. IMO -- when you quit you only show that you're not mature enough to be part of a team.

Overall Newport will need to regain confidence early in the season. Coach Hyder needs to make his team realize that last season is behind them. Get over it! It's done! Now is the time to prepare for a better season. Newport has some good talent and from what I gather from some sources -- this coming senior, junior and sophomore classes know what it means to win. I realize freshmen football is somewhat different from varsity play but those coming classes all share one thing. They all had winning seasons as freshmen and it wasn't an easy road for them. These young men know what it took then and I'm very confident that they still know what it takes now. IMO -- not to knock the seniors from last season -- but there just wasn't any leadership from that class. I'm sure there was a couple of guys trying to lead but it's hard to lead a team when you have players quitting that have no respect for their coaches or their fellow classmates. Newport has a descent coaching staff that has the experience and knowledge to lead a group of young men willing to learn and give it their all. My message to Coach Hyder is this -- be patient -- the ones who are still there with you will do the job -- there is no need to have quitters back on your team -- they will only hurt you in the long run. Good luck Coach Hyder -- you have a lot of support out here so keep pushing those young men - you'll see a difference this year.

IMO -- Willie Price should be the QB and yes Short showed some talent n the backfield in the JV games so he might be a good short yardage back. I thought Housley, Oden and Brewer all quit the team. If I was the coach I wouldn't waste my time with them. IMO -- when you quit you only show that you're not mature enough to be part of a team.

 

I could agree with Price at QB but you only get one year out of him. I like Hatfield, he has a strong arm an good speed an size only a Jr, Housley was out with a hand injury I don't think he quit. If I was coach Hyder I would not waist my time on Brewer or Oden they have prove one thing to me, when things get hard they take the easy way out an you can't depend on them.

Short would have to be in my back field, he has good speed an runs very hard.

Whatever happened to Arkansas Brewer?

 

Im not sure I don't think he is at Newport this year.

I could agree with Price at QB but you only get one year out of him. I like Hatfield, he has a strong arm an good speed an size only a Jr, Housley was out with a hand injury I don't think he quit. If I was coach Hyder I would not waist my time on Brewer or Oden they have prove one thing to me, when things get hard they take the easy way out an you can't depend on them.

Short would have to be in my back field, he has good speed an runs very hard.

 

That could be true with Hatfield -- he's a good kid and very intelligent. But if I was looking at a spot for him it would have to be TE. Housley did hurt his hand but it didn't stop him from going to the gym and shooting basketball. Don't get me wrong I like Housley -- he's a good kid and has some skill but as far as I see it -- he quit. Now, Newport also has a kid named Jones -- freshmen QB -- that kid can flat out fly and throw. He could possibly step in there and do something. Which that brings up a point -- Newport needs a QB coach -- last season staff lack that spot.

That could be true with Hatfield -- he's a good kid and very intelligent. But if I was looking at a spot for him it would have to be TE. Housley did hurt his hand but it didn't stop him from going to the gym and shooting basketball. Don't get me wrong I like Housley -- he's a good kid and has some skill but as far as I see it -- he quit. Now, Newport also has a kid named Jones -- freshmen QB -- that kid can flat out fly and throw. He could possibly step in there and do something. Which that brings up a point -- Newport needs a QB coach -- last season staff lack that spot.

 

I thought there was a QB coach I think Galleacheo not sure on the spelling.

I thought there was a QB coach I think Galleacheo not sure on the spelling.

 

I believe he is the QB coach for the freshmen.

I believe he is the QB coach for the freshmen.

 

Then he should help out some or move to the Varsity level I think, that is where he is needed.

Agreed, QB coach Gallichio should move up and coach varsity. The man knows the game, he was a great player and state champion. And if he could'nt teach you how to QB, he could get out there and show you how to do it.

Good point -- That's Pat -- you've got to have the coaches in position just as you do the players.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.