Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Officals Complaints?

Featured Replies

So the young kids with their low waistlines would be in trouble.

 

Almost any dribble gametime would take would be a carry.:jump:

  • Replies 48
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if any means can complaints be filed about poor officals? Can AD's file complaints or is this done by assigning sec. observation or is this done at all?

 

I know that almost all the games I have attended this year have been taped by one team or the other. Can you submit a tape to the KSHAA if there is an exceptionally bad official and you have him on tape? It seems like you should be able to, because it is a safety issue for the players in some cases where officials are letting the rough play get out of hand.

True.....

 

I guess that at this point in the season, I am just tired of the constant line of crap yelled at officials...they are talked to like animals. I hate it.

 

For those of you that don't know, I am NOT an official.

 

 

Agree totally !!!!! It's get very old having to listen to obnoxious parents, screaming at officials and instructing players (as if they couldn't make a decision without the parent's instruction) on every single play... Yes, the officiating is far from perfect, but rarely has any impact on the result of the game. Isn't it amazing how the fans from the respective teams tend to have different opinions of how a game was officiated????

 

It has to be embarrassing for the kids, but I'm assuming with that mentality, it's all about the parents, and little regard for the kids....

 

PLEASE, JUST SHUT UP AND LET THEM PLAY BALL !!!!!!

If all of the "officials" in the stands that know so much more about the game would apply to become one, then the quality would improve.

 

I probably watch 125+ girls & boys games a year and there are always obnoxious fans in the stands just about wherever you go. With that being said, some of these fans do not have a clue about what should or should not be called. We don't need those people to be officials. What we need is a better way of reviewing and training the officials. Does anyone sit down with them and review film to see how the did or how they could improve?

 

My comment was not based as a fan in the stands but as a coach on the bench and IMO the quality of officiating has gone down over the past few years- maybe they have too many inexperienced officials and they will get better as time goes on. We can only hope.

I probably watch 125+ girls & boys games a year and there are always obnoxious fans in the stands just about wherever you go. With that being said, some of these fans do not have a clue about what should or should not be called. We don't need those people to be officials. What we need is a better way of reviewing and training the officials. Does anyone sit down with them and review film to see how the did or how they could improve?

 

My comment was not based as a fan in the stands but as a coach on the bench and IMO the quality of officiating has gone down over the past few years- maybe they have too many inexperienced officials and they will get better as time goes on. We can only hope.

 

In the BBA, they have an evaluation system.

 

I do also know from experience that they work summer camps with senior officials shadowing them, telling them where they should be, what they should be looking for, etc.

Or you can pick up an application to become one yourself.

 

Nice!!

some of these fans do not have a clue about what should or should not be called.

 

 

Amen to that Brother! I heard someone screaming for a three second call in a girls game last week when the 6 footer took 4 consecutive stick back shots before she could get it to go down.

 

That gives me an idea for a thread.....

I probably watch 125+ girls & boys games a year and there are always obnoxious fans in the stands just about wherever you go. With that being said, some of these fans do not have a clue about what should or should not be called. We don't need those people to be officials. What we need is a better way of reviewing and training the officials. Does anyone sit down with them and review film to see how the did or how they could improve?

 

My comment was not based as a fan in the stands but as a coach on the bench and IMO the quality of officiating has gone down over the past few years- maybe they have too many inexperienced officials and they will get better as time goes on. We can only hope.

 

I watch about the same number of games each year, most of them extremely close to the floor. ;)

 

You missed the "tongue in cheek" nature of my post.

 

We all know that coaches are never biased. :rolleyes:

 

I say until any of us have actually been an official, we need to keep quite about it and and at least treat them like humans. I don't mind the boos and the "she walked!" or "come on, ref"s. Its the insults to the person that I mind.

Amen to that Brother! I heard someone screaming for a three second call in a girls game last week when the 6 footer took 4 consecutive stick back shots before she could get it to go down.

 

That gives me an idea for a thread.....

 

Yes, this one makes me cring.

I would agree that the personal insults are over the top and at times extreme. I would also add that when you choose to put on the stripes, you need to be able to separate yourself from the crowd and not get involved with them. I have seen numerous offiicials start verbal debates with the fans which IMO is not professional. They need to ignore them.

 

There are some very good officials out there and they are much appreciated, there are just too few of them these days and why would anyone want to have to put up with all the criticism. It is a tough job and it is hard to find quality people in any job let alone officiating. I just think that you should see improvement over time and I am not seeing that with some of the officials that have been around.

 

TB&G no offense taken, coaches may have some bias as does everyone. I think the school officials should get on the obnoxious fans which would take care of that aspect.

 

For what it is worth I believe I am pretty objective ;)

I can'tbelieve anyone would want to ref after watching a varsity coach chase 3 officials after a game last night and the coach was restrained by administrators and the local sherriff's department. I was a fan of neither team, but have reffed, coached, and played and didn't think they did a bad job.

  • Author

The one problem that I see a lot is not only the difference in how calls change from game to game, but how calls change from end to end. In a game last night during a scramble for a loose ball a player was stiff armed to the ground and no call, then the next time down the floor a touch foul is called, now when the first play happened the ref just smiled at the crowds reaction to the no call. We know that no one is perfect but how about just being somewhat consistent. The problem is that if rough play is unchecked in some of these dives for loose balls players are not even going for the ball they are just diving into the pile it looks more like a Rugby scrum that basketball. I would hate to lose a top player because of foul that should have been called before it went to far and got a player hurt.:scared:

I normally stand on the court under the basket and take photos. I remain calm and considerate of officials, but when I take a break and put my camera down and sit amongst the fans in the stands I become a screaming idiot. Mob mentality, maybe?

 

Refs do the best they can and are far from perfect but let me tell you one thing. Standing under the basket, often as an impartial observer and listening to fans scream at every game and every level makes the screamers seem pretty petty.

The one problem that I see a lot is not only the difference in how calls change from game to game, but how calls change from end to end. In a game last night during a scramble for a loose ball a player was stiff armed to the ground and no call, then the next time down the floor a touch foul is called, now when the first play happened the ref just smiled at the crowds reaction to the no call. We know that no one is perfect but how about just being somewhat consistent. The problem is that if rough play is unchecked in some of these dives for loose balls players are not even going for the ball they are just diving into the pile it looks more like a Rugby scrum that basketball. I would hate to lose a top player because of foul that should have been called before it went to far and got a player hurt.:scared:

 

One problem with that is the rotation of the officials. It might not be the same official under each basket. You and I officiating and if we have a different view of what a foul inside is, than it is going to seem that there is a different call be made from end to end.

 

When you are looking at the inside play on one end, I will be looking at the inside play at the other end. And we end up with two different ways to look at the inside play.

 

Not sure of what the answer is, just pointing that out. Cause the question arises, was it the same official that was viewing both plays on different ends?

One problem with that is the rotation of the officials. It might not be the same official under each basket. You and I officiating and if we have a different view of what a foul inside is, than it is going to seem that there is a different call be made from end to end.

 

When you are looking at the inside play on one end, I will be looking at the inside play at the other end. And we end up with two different ways to look at the inside play.

 

Not sure of what the answer is, just pointing that out. Cause the question arises, was it the same official that was viewing both plays on different ends?

 

 

That is a great point! Do they not keep rotating though to different positions throughout the game ? It should at some point even itself out I would think.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.